• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

County fairgrounds and County Agricultural Societies

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
It is well known that Open Carry in Ohio is a constitutional protected right. However, a number of Agricultural Societies, who run county fairgrounds and county fairs, claim that they are private and, therefor, believe they can disallow open carry and conceal carry at county fairs. But this is not the case. The Ohio Revised Code, Chapter 1711 provides for the establishment, organization, and functioning of county agricultural societies. R.C. 1711.13 explicitly provides that “[c]ounty agricultural societies are hereby declared bodies corporate and politic.”

Over the years Agricultural Societies have been successfully challenged, forcing them to remove signs at entrances that threated gun owners of possible arrest for exercising their rights. All accomplished without going to court which the law allows for under Ohio Revised Code section 9.68.

A month ago a friend and I informed the Logan County Agricultural Society and the County Commissioners that the illegal signs had to be removed. No responses were received other than they are private. Because the fair was to start July 11, last week the two of us sent emails to the county prosecutor and sheriff demanding the signs be removed. We followed up by separately calling the sheriff. We were both informed the signs were coming down per the order of the county prosecutor. The signs were gone at the start of the fair.

If anyone knows of any Ohio county fairgrounds having signs posted at the entrances disallowing firearms please let me know so we can get them removed.

Marlinwounc

I am totally happy having discovered this site, it is exactly the thing I have been searching for. The detailed information here on the web page is truely needed and will assist my family and friends while I am at work. It looks like everyone gained a large amount of knowledge about this and the other hyper links and info really show it. I'm not typically on the internet when I am busy however when I have some time im usually hunting for this kind of factual information and things similarly having to do with it. I have two of my friends that have also developed an interest in this because of all that I have learned about it and they are for sure to be visiting this blog because it is such an awesome find. I'm also interested in government issues and how to deal with the new twists and turns in climate change. If anyone gets a chance, have a look at my website. Seattle Tech Photographer