• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Search results

1. acmariner99

This is what can happen when you're UNarmed

I got lucky this morning. As I am walking to the bus stop on the way to work (one car family and my employer prohibits firearms on the property, let alone in a backpack) I see two black guys beating up another black guy on the other end of the parking lot against a concrete wall; I saw a full...
  2. acmariner99

"Responsibility" to Intervene in Active Shooter Situation?

In recent weeks, I have thought somewhat about the concept of a "sheepdog" that we who carry are sometimes called ... the entity with the capacity to scare predators away from the mass of sheep. Some think that if we have the training, we have a "responsibility" to intervene on behalf of others...
  3. acmariner99

Coffee With a Cop - while OC

Today the Des Moines Police Department had a "Coffee with a Cop" near where I live in Des Moines. DMPD likes to have regular sessions with the public by their front line officers. I think this is a really good idea with a lot of mistrust of LEOs by the public at large. Of course, this mistrust...
  4. acmariner99

Statement to share on I-594

If this needs to go someplace else, please by all means - but as all of us know, ballots are out and I-594 is on everyone's mind. I took to my computer and wrote my thoughts on it - please feel free to share - especially to those who are on the fence about it...
  5. acmariner99

LGOCers Have Done it Again

Target has now requested that gun owners no longer carry in their stores - when are these people going to learn that carrying an AR-15 is not helping...
  6. acmariner99

State Firearm Carry Summary

Hello my fellow carriers. Over the past couple of months, I have used various resources including opencarry.org, handgunlaw.us, usacarry.com, and a few others to put in writing a high level summary of the conditions of carry laws throughout the US - without the legalese. It is similar to the...
  7. acmariner99

Open Carry is now the Enemy

I have been seeing all over the internet today that it is the fault of the OC movement that prompted Starbucks to make the choice they did today. This is from many pro-2A persons and organizations. I spent more time than I should have defending OC as a right and viable means of self-defense...
  8. acmariner99

Wonderful Week of OC

Last week I had several excellent encounters with OC throughout Western WA - On July 4, I went to a Starbucks in Renton where I saw a Renton LEO walk in, get his own coffee and leave. He plainly saw I was armed and didn't talk to me at all, much to the annoyance of a young couple who I...
  9. acmariner99

Colorado Governor to Sign Gun Control Bills Into Law

I just saw an article from Fox News that stated that Gov. Chickenpooper would sign bills banning private transfers and restricting magazine limits to 15 rounds into law: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/19/colorado-governor-to-sign-gun-controls-into-law/. My condolences to the liberty...
  10. acmariner99

USA Carry Hating on Open Carry

"Keep it Secret, the element of surprise, don't scare bystanders" - I think we have heard these arguments before. I very hastily let the author know how I felt and I think we should do the same. http://www.usacarry.com/keep-it-secret-keep-it-safe/
  11. acmariner99

Interesting Comment After Robbery in Downtown Seattle

Courtesy of KOMO: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Shots-fired-near-federal-courthouse-in-downtown-Seattle-170723586.html A robbery suspect shot at a security guard who chased him and several bystanders held him down until police arrived. One comment that intrigued me was: "You've got to...
  12. acmariner99

Interesting Safeway Encounter

I have been shopping at Safeway since I have been back in the Seattle area. There is a store right across the street from my apartment. In my opinion, their quality vs cost is better than the other grocery stores in my immediate area (Albertsons and QFC). I carry in grocery stores all the time...
  13. acmariner99

OC Story -- North Cascades National Park

Yesterday, me and a friend decided to spend the hottest day of 2012 in WA State (~90 degrees) doing some hiking in the North Cascades, specifically Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm about 25 miles east of Marblemount, WA. My friend thought it interesting that I carry "all the time." She is a gun owner...
  14. acmariner99

Two Non-Encounters with Renton PD in a Week

Last Friday while down in the south end I decided to stop by the outdoor store in Federal Way near where we have our Starbucks meets. They FINALLY had the new Springfield XDS in stock - and yes, I got one :) It's slim, it's slick, and it is very comfortable in my hands. I got a Galco IWB holster...
  15. acmariner99

Concealed is Concealed ....

Good morning all. I am currently visiting your fine state and I would like to know just how far this "concealed is concealed" in Texas goes. I know there are certain exceptions where you can open carry, and otherwise MUST be concealed. As I understand Texas statutes, you are under no restriction...
  16. acmariner99

Upgrade Wisconsin to GOLD STAR Status?

I couldn't help but notice that the new law that went into effect in WI today allows for openly carried firearms in a vehicle in Wisconsin from http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ccw-faq-20111020.pdf: If I do not have a CCW license how do I transport weapons in a vehicle? A...
  17. acmariner99

Suicide and Unrestrictive Gun Laws

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/09/06/20110906arizona-teen-suicides-put-eye-prevention.html I'm sure we can all agree that suicide is tragic and preventable. What is interesting is the article makes multiple references to easily accessible firearms in one's residence AND Arizona's...
  18. acmariner99

Violation of Preemption?

Twice in the past two weeks I have encountered signs at parks indicating that possession and/or use of firearms is prohibited. One was at Rattlesnake Lake and the other was at a park in Mountlake Terrace where I am currently living. It is my understanding that WA state preemption laws prohibit...
  19. acmariner99

OC Story: Grand Canyon

During the stretch of nice warm weather a week or so ago a friend and i decided to do a GC day hike. (Bright Angel all the way down to the river and back in a day -- 15 miles round trip). I was OCing my S&W 686, my 'trail gun' in a blackhawk leather holster. I did get a few questions. A couple...
  20. acmariner99

Reception to changes in OC law in MO

Hey all, I can be found more on the Washington and Arizona forums, but it has recently been brought to my attention that I may move to Missouri for work post graduation. I love open carrying here in Arizona and my style of carry leads me to OC more anyway. My questions are about the reception in...