• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Search results

1. DaveT319

Permitless carry in Oregon?

I think now is the time for us to push for this. Oregon is already a "shall issue" state. Anyone who applies who is not prohibited from owning a gun is usually given their permit. But now that background checks are required on all purchases, wouldn't it be safe to say that anyone who has a gun...
  2. DaveT319

Concealed carry across state lines

I have a lot of random thoughts on this issue that all tie together, but not cohesively (especially at this hour), so please bear with me. We know the story of Shaneen Allen, the Philadelphia woman who was arrested in New Jersey for concealed carrying a hand gun that she had a permit in...
  3. DaveT319

Carry in public? Carry at home

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but for those who take off their gun when they get home: don't. Home invasions happen at any time of the day, just the same as bad things can happen in "good" parts of town. Just because you are at home doesn't mean there is no potential danger (unless...
  4. DaveT319

Carrying a recorder

I've seen many people advocate for carrying a voice recorder when out OCing. For those that do, where do you carry it to make sure it picks up everything? In a pocket? A pouch on your belt? Do you use a plug-in microphone?
  5. DaveT319

OC with non-retention holster?

There's belt and paddle holsters out there that don't really look like they are meant for CC, because they're just too bulky. So it would seem that they are more for OC. But they don't have any retention features other than simple tension or a tight fit. Does anyone use such holsters for OC? If...
  6. DaveT319

Alternating OC and CC: different holsters?

Most OC holsters have some sort of retention device , but most CC holsters don't seem to. I'm talking about IWB holsters like from Alien Gear, and OWB holsters like from Fobus; ones that just use tension or pressure. I know most here OC most - if not all - of the time. But what about those...
  7. DaveT319

OC with IWB holster?

Anyone do this? I'm getting an Alien Gear holster for times when I choose to CC, and am thinking about using it to OC as well by tucking my shirt in behind it.
  8. DaveT319

CA microstamping law

I've seen in recent months that California has passed a law mandating firing pin microstamping on all new firearms. It's almost a good idea in theory, but the problem is that the technology is not working as advertised. More often than not - much more - the stamping does not clearly transfer to...
  9. DaveT319

Attorney in the Eugene area

I've seen people say that it's a good idea to line up an attorney before you have a defensive shooting. Makes a lot of sense. So can anyone recommend one in this area?
  10. DaveT319

Trying to confirm WA OC rules, esp. in a car

I occasionally visit WA, and now that I've started carrying I want to make sure I understand the laws. Mainly, it's my understanding that loaded OC is legal, but not in your vehicle. According to handgunlaw.us, you can still have it in your holster as long as it's unloaded. So how do you handle...
  11. DaveT319

OC in Las Vegas

Once a year, my wife and I make a "pilgrimage" to Las Vegas, both for business and fun. I have begun OCing up here in Oregon, and have been thinking about doing so when down in Vegas. I've gone to handgunlaw.us for the legal info. Looks like in NV loaded carry is allowed in your vehicle, right...
  12. DaveT319

"Gun-free Zones": how to handle them?

In my few weeks of carrying, I haven't yet noticed that it is banned at any of the places I've been. But I'm trying to figure out what to do if some place I go has such a policy. I figure there are two basic options: leave your firearm in your vehicle, or just leave that place. The second is...
  13. DaveT319

Need some help: wife opposes me carrying

We were planning to go to Costco this evening. She gets home, and a minute later she says she'll be back in a little bit. Asked where she was going and she said "Costco". I said "I was willing to come with". She says "If you're going to carry that gun, I'm going to go by myself". "Are you sure...
  14. DaveT319

"No Guns" businesses in Eugene

Being new to OC in Eugene, I was wondering what places around here have the "no guns" stickers, or otherwise have a policy against OC or CC? So far I have not seen any such stickers at the places I've been to, but figure it's only matter of time before I come across one, and it might be nice to...
  15. DaveT319

Defense of others?

Now that I've started carrying a firearm, I've been kind of thinking of various random situations and how I would react to them. I feel that will help me be prepared for incidents if they should happen. One thing that came to mind is: if I witness crime and decide to step in, what kind of rules...
  16. DaveT319

Providing ID when open carrying

I've seen a lot of open carry videos where the cops arrive because of a report of a "person with a gun". Almost every single time, the OCer refuses to provide ID when the officer invariably asks. On the one hand, I understand the refusal, as you're only supposed to provide ID when there's...
  17. DaveT319

OC in winter

How do you guys do it? It's cold outside, so you put on a jacket. Then you've got to make sure the jacket is not covering the weapon. So you either have to lift the side over the weapon, or have it open on that side, or have a jacket specifically designed to go around your weapon. It's easy...