• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.32 ACP ammo in a .32 Revovler?

Sig229

I bought a very nice .32 revolver for my grandmother a year ago and it works well for her. Almost no recoil (even w/ magnum loads), and decent size for her hands.

Anyhow, I found a few boxes of .32acp FMJ and out of curiosity I wanted to see if I could load the ACP rounds in the .32 long cylinder and they fit perfectly.

So does anyone know if it would be safe for her to use the .32acp rounds in this revolver?
.32 long and magnum ammo is hard to find and there aren't many decent self defense loads made for that caliber.
Whereas, the .32acp rounds are abundant and JHP's are easier to come by.

robert1970

I bought a very nice .32 revolver for my grandmother a year ago and it works well for her. Almost no recoil (even w/ magnum loads), and decent size for her hands.

Anyhow, I found a few boxes of .32acp FMJ and out of curiosity I wanted to see if I could load the ACP rounds in the .32 long cylinder and they fit perfectly.

So does anyone know if it would be safe for her to use the .32acp rounds in this revolver?
.32 long and magnum ammo is hard to find and there aren't many decent self defense loads made for that caliber.
Whereas, the .32acp rounds are abundant and JHP's are easier to come by.

If its a 32 H & R magnum, I belive the only thing that will interchange with it is the 32 smith and wesson long and short. Years ago I had a Ruger super single six in 32 H & R mag,wish i had a dollar for every ground squrriel i had shot with it.

Sig229

If its a 32 H & R magnum, I belive the only thing that will interchange with it is the 32 smith and wesson long and short.

I dont have the pistol in front of me at the moment.
But if I remember correctly, I think the barrel was marked ".32 L,S,Mag"

Here's a pic I pulled from the net of the same exact gun I bought for her:

Its a .32 H&R

post-167-1226878270.jpg

Joef

I've done this with a S&W revolver in 32 H&R Magnum. 32acp and 32 H&R Magnum are similar in SAAMI pressure levels of 20500 & 21000 respectively. It works...sorta. It depends on the tolerances of the 32 acp case rims and the revolver cylinder rim gap(head space). I got about 50% ignition with a box of Winchester white box. I suspect one could try various brands of ammo and find one that was reliable. Accuracy wasn't bad for those that went bang.

I wouldn't try this with a gun in 32 S&W long(same as 32 colt new police & 32 H&R) SAAMI max pressure is 12500 due to so many older and poor quality guns out there.

Personally I think it is better to just go online and buy the 32 S&W long. I bought it from AIM for about $15/box in 10 box quantity and they are a highly reliable vendor.