• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3Qs: Debating the impact of ‘stand your ground’ laws. Northeastern.edu

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.northeastern.edu/news/stories/2012/03/ramirez.html
EXCERPT said:
The death of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed, black teenager shot by self-appointed community watch captain George Zimmerman in Florida, has sparked a turbulent nationwide dialogue on race and so-called “stand your ground” laws, which authorize the use of lethal force in cases of self-defense. On Tuesday, Deborah Ramirez, a professor in the School of Law, spoke at a panel convened by Congressional Democrats to address the case.

bc.cruiser

Prof. Ramirez' first and second points are offered without evidence. She makes it sound like community watch volunteers nationwide are barely beyond being a vigilante force, and that the law enforcement department all across Florida are suddenly very lax in investigating killings. The killings may have tripled, and an increased number of shooters have used the stand-your-ground defense, but how many of those excuses were found to be valid?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I would suggest that Ramirez is quite naive of her subject here, particularly for not addressing the "2.5 million defensive gun uses per year." Neighborhood watch interactions are some fraction of that 2.5 million, tipping the balance waay against her argument.