• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.45 acp auto .45acp revolver

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

$1,106.00 *
*Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

• Model: 625 JM
  • Caliber: .45 ACP
  • Capacity: 6 Rounds
  • Barrel Length: 4" / 10.2 cm
  • Front Sight: Gold Bead Patridge
  • Rear Sight: Adjustable
  • Grip: Jerry Miculek Wood
  • Action: Single/Double Action
  • Frame Size: Large - Exposed Hammer
  • Finish: Matte Stainless
  • Overall Length: 9.38" / 23.8 cm
  • Material: Stainless Steel Frame
    Stainless Steel Cylinder
  • Weight Empty: 40.3 oz / 1,142.5 g
  • Purpose: Competitive
    Recreational
    Home Protection

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a 625. I like it a lot...fast to load, proven cartridge, reliable design. I haven't personally chronographed the rounds, but a buddy of mine did when he borrowed my revolver. He said the difference in velocity very slightly favored the autoloader but not enough to matter. I don't remember his numbers, but I remember that the difference almost didn't reach the threshold of measurement. I suspect that the revolver loses a tiny amount of pressure when the bullet jumps the cylinder-to-barrel gap.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
so the cartridge pushing back on the slide doesnt realy hurt velocity
Apparently not. The M1911 pistol and the .45 ACP cartridge were originally designed as a package deal, so the engineering of the cartridge and of the pistol were optimized to one another.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
The Wolfhound wrote:
Remember cylinder head space gap will let some gasses out. Then also on the revolver you get the full recoil.
then what is the advantage of a revolver beside shooting huge magnums
Revolvers will function reliably with a wide variety of different loads, which semiautos will not. Semis also require a somewhat complicated process to put them back into action after a misfire, whereas with the revolver you just squeeze the trigger again. In general, revolvers are more tolerant of fouling by mud, dirt, etc. Whether these advantages offset the greater potential firepower of the semiautomatic pistol is a matter of personal preference.

jeeper1

imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
How could it, the bullet has left the barrel before the slide starts to move.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
ericfrompahrump wrote:
How could it, the bullet has left the barrel before the slide starts to move.
Another way of thinking of it is that a bullet of X mass fired at Y velocity will generate Z recoil. That's true regardless of the weapon from which it's fired. What happens to that recoil is a matter of engineering. In a revolver, essentially all of the force of the recoil is absorbed by the shooter's arms and shoulders. In a semiautomatic pistol, a substantial part of the force of the recoil is used to push the slide back to eject the empty cartridge case, after which the slide is pushed forward again by spring pressure and it strips a fresh cartridge from the magazine into the chamber. This is why in general the perceived recoil of an identical cartridge will be greater in a revolver than in a semiauto. Of course, other factors like the mass of the firearm, the angle of the grip, and the shooter's grip and stance also play a large role in perceived recoil. The .45 ACP is not a very hard-recoiling cartridge, so most people can handle it quite well in a revolver. The necessity for making the slide reciprocate hard enough but not too hard is one of the things that makes it challenging to make a super-duper magnum in a semiauto, although there have been some successes.