• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.454 Casull

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Well, at least TheTruth's gun doesn't have those sissy ports in the barrel. :p:)

TheTruth doesnt have sissy ports,,, cause he doesnt have the gun!

I DO have "The GUN!",,, Sissy ports keep it from breaking my wrists!

4 of us shot my 500! We were all uncannily accurate with it!
But it almost got away from the last shooter!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

TheTruth doesnt have sissy ports,,, cause he doesnt have the gun!

I DO have "The GUN!",,, Sissy ports keep it from breaking my wrists!

4 of us shot my 500! We were all uncannily accurate with it!
But it almost got away from the last shooter!

:)

The irony is that my threshold for masochism is launching full-house 158gr .357 mag's out of a S&W 686. I was convinced right then and there that if I was ever invited again to another such field artillery exercise, I would politely offer to run the spotting scope instead. I put y'all in the same category as people who enjoy shooting 12 ga. 3" magnums.

:D

Last edited:

The Truth

:)

The irony is that my threshold for masochism is launching full-house 158gr .357 mag's out of a S&W 686. I was convinced right then and there that if I was ever invited again to another such field artillery exercise, I would politely offer to run the spotting scope instead. I put y'all in the same category as people who enjoy shooting 12 ga. 3" magnums.

Haha! I love shooting 3" Magnums outta my M500! You calling me a weirdo?!?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Haha! I love shooting 3" Magnums outta my M500! You calling me a weirdo?!?

I knew somebody was gonna respond to that; I had no idea it would be you, or that quick.

No, no, no. I'm not calling you a weirdo.

I'm just saying my dentist was glad I tried a couple 3" magnums--he got to reinstall two of my fillings.*

Lets just say I'd rather take a leak on an electric fence than do that again.

:D:D:D

*I'm just exaggerating for rhetorical effect. Don't nobody take that literally. My dentist would have taken it as a personal affront if anything less than a .500 Nitro Express was alleged to have loosened one his fillings.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I knew somebody was gonna respond to that; I had no idea it would be you, or that quick.

No, no, no. I'm not calling you a weirdo.

I'm just saying my dentist was glad I tried a couple 3" magnums--he got to reinstall two of my fillings.*

Lets just say I'd rather take a leak on an electric fence than do that again.

:D:D:D

*I'm just exaggerating for rhetorical effect. Don't nobody take that literally. My dentist would have taken it as a personal affront if anything less than a .500 Nitro Express was alleged to have loosened one his fillings.

Id like to try a 577 Trex,, but id probably have to go to another continent to do that....

Also,,, I saw a pic of a penis that had peed on an electric fence,,,,,
It looked like a hot dog that had been left right in the fire until "crisp",,,,
Sooooo,,, dont do that!!!!

Firearms Iinstuctor

I did not mind shooting the 4 or the 8 inch 500s but I am glad they are ported The only other ported one I have Is a TI 41 mag it is so dam loud I don't shoot it with out hearing protection.

As far as hard kicker the really big bore rifles thump me harder then the 3 inch 12 ga.

But then I sure didn't like shooting mag loads of buck shot out of 18 inch 870 riot guns ouch.

But they are all fun.

MontanaResident

I have the same in 44Mag. For a snubby, it is surprisingly light in recoil. Got mine, previously owned, never fired for a bargain. Look around, they can be (or at least use to be) found at a bargain price.

moonie

Went shooting this past Saturday, my 15" Encore in 270 Winchester needed to be sighted in, had only shot a couple of rounds through it before... yea, that thing is a handfull. Also was shooting my sons 5 shot 44Mag 2 1/2" snubbie, right snappy that one. Long live hand cannons!

CNaivar

New Member here. Saw the discussion of the .454 Casul, Has anyone had any experience with the Raging Judge Magnum? I currently carry the Judge Public Defender as my primary CC on the motorcycle and have practiced drawing and shooting one handed from my vest pocket. Since the Raging Judge Magnum will shoot .45LC, 410, and .454 Casul, have been thinking of getting one. I am big guy and the Public Defender gives a good, but manageable kick one handed, just curious how much difference there is, should I need it for defense on the bike.

And, I do understand that smaller calibers would probably be just fine, but aside from the joy of a hand cannon, just the looks themselves would hopefully discourage an assault while out in the open on the bike.

The Truth

Nothing wrong with a big ol' hand cannon!

I think the user BlueSquid carries the pistol of which you are speaking. Maybe he will chime in! I'm sure there are others...

There's some "cool factor" to carrying a pistol that shoots 410 shotgun shells.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You can show them the proper stance grip ect then all of a sudden you get them on the range they are doing something you haven't taught them.

In most cases with newbies, I have found women and young children to be more attentive to good practices/procedures.

Agreed. Guys are the worst, because they already know everything (even when they don't).

A couple weeks ago, I took a very good friend to the range to shoot his new AR15 which I helped him build. My rifle shooting skill is more centered around close, fast shots on things like a running squirrel, and less around tight groups at range, but I do understand the basics.

I sighted in the rifle for him, and was getting a pretty decent group (by which I mean, "a group") with a 1x red dot sight at about 100 yards. Once I gave it back to him, he did not have such good results. In fact, he did manage to group (somewhat), but it was not in the center of the target. Since a 1x red dot sight has no parallax at 100 yards (any range?), I concluded this was most likely shooter error. Given the consistent but off-center grouping, I concluded a flinch.

So, I went over basic trigger technique with him, and threw a couple dummy rounds in a mag so he could see the flinch first hand.

Next day we went again, and things hadn't improved too much. Since he was taking his finger off the trigger between shots, I was clearly able to notice that he wasn't "squeezing" the trigger at all, but rather was bumping it immediately as part of the same rearward movement by which his finger went back into the trigger guard after resting on the frame.

I pointed this out, to which he responded "yeah, but I think I'm actually doing better this way."

Well, maybe so. Flinch can be insidious (ask me how I know), because you can actually get consistent enough with it that you're fairly precise (even though your accuracy will remain poor), which makes it seem like you're improving/doing things right.

I tried to explain that, if you dry fire the gun, you will see why there is no way that particular technique could be better than "surprising" yourself with the break, since slapping the trigger with a moving finger *will* cause the gun to move, if only a little. It may be a practical necessity in, say, combat, but it has nothing to do with the best method to get tight groups on paper at the range.

My guess is he does the same thing next time. :lol:

Last edited:

CNaivar

Nothing wrong with a big ol' hand cannon!

I think the user BlueSquid carries the pistol of which you are speaking. Maybe he will chime in! I'm sure there are others...

There's some "cool factor" to carrying a pistol that shoots 410 shotgun shells.

I agree on the 410 Shells. Since I am using it on the bike, my first 2 are the PDX 410 with the copper discs for tires as well as personal stopping power. Followed by three .45LC JHP in case the first 2 didn't get the point across. Just curious how much to expect one handed difference with the .454 Casul. We have the possibility of open carry here in Texas and would love something not just commanding, but with a touch of fun. Not to mention being over 6'2" and a large frame, even a 1911 can look like a .380 compact on my hip LOL.

The Truth

I would probably not recommend .454 Casull for self defense against humans in an urban setting. It's more overkill than overkill. It's more of a woods-type caliber for larger animals IMO. Definitely a one-hitter-quitter if you're aim is worth a crap.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Agreed. Guys are the worst, because they already know everything (even when they don't).

I pointed this out, to which he responded "yeah, but I think I'm actually doing better this way."

My guess is he does the same thing next time. :lol:

You wouldn't believe how many times I have heard that or I shoot better under pressure or I don't have a flinch or I can hit moving target not stationary ones.

My guns been bore sighted I don't have to check it.

I had a friend out with a new to him HK91 factory peep sights I asked him what distance he wanted start at he rolls the rear sight to 400 meters and says lets try it at 400. So a put a 8x11 on a 3x5 foot backer drive to the 400 yard line he stands there shoots five times proceeds to miss every thing.

I can't see where it is hitting. I say lets shoot it a 100 I take go prone with the 200 yard peep and it is shooting 20 inches high at a hundred. He doesn't have any sight adjustment tools looks at my group 20 inches high and says that not too bad packs his rifle up and leaves.

Some people just know it all.

Last edited: