• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm vs 40 vs 45

Radisma

imported post

Ok first off i dont want this thread to turn into a "45 is better" or blah blah.

We all know that shot placement is what counts more than slug size but anyway on to my question.

for about 11 years the only pistol ive ever been shooting was a 9mm.

With my 21'st birthday not to far away ive been looknig into buying my first pistol for myself.

Ive been looking at Glocks ( or possibly a berretta ) but my question is do you notice a big Recoil change going from 9mm to say .45? or 9mm to .40?

Im not exactly a big guy :p im about 5"9 and weigh about 150 lbs soaking wet.

So my question is is a 45 going to kick alot more than a 9mm or would i not notice much of a difference.

Same question for a .40

Stuart959

imported post

The primary difference i have noticed in firing .40 and .45 is that . 40 seems to have more of a wrist and forearm kick, and barrel jump. Where as the .45 is more of a smooth whole body push. Though i personally go .357 all the way.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Stuart959 wrote:
The primary difference i have noticed in firing .40 and .45 is that . 40 seems to have more of a wrist and forearm kick, and barrel jump. Where as the .45 is more of a smooth whole body push. Though i personally go .357 all the way.
I own a .40cal Glock 23. I've fired the 9mm and .45cal models, and I think the recoil differences are noticeable. I can put twice as many rounds through my .40 before my wrist starts hurting from the recoil. 9mm seems to me to be much less recoil.

Another thing to consider is the mag capacity between models. Glocks all carry about the same cumulative hole-making power. That is, 13x.45"=15x.40"=17x9mm (roughly). If you live in a state that limits mag capacity (like CA's 10-round limit), then a .45 would have more cumulative hole-making power.

Enthusiast

imported post

One thing you may want to consider is how much does each caliber cost a box to shoot. 9mm is by far and away the cheapest. This means you can literally get more bang for your buck.

G

imported post

Rad,

I'm thin like you. The recoil of a 40 or 45 is not a problem. What I found more significant with the 40 is that it is less accurate. I wasnt sientific about it but it was fairlyobvious. Some may argue otherwise but.. And I didnt try a 45 because sig doesnt have a high capacity 45. But I suspect the 45 is less accurate than a 9 also.

The solution for me is the 357sig. Powerfull, accurate, and hi-cap (12+1). Sig 226'sor 229's can use40 or 357by simplychanging the barrel. They drop in easily and are equally reliable. The mags work witheithercaliber. (Note the 9 is not interchangeable.)

The next question might be what kind of action and or safety mechanisms youprefer. Sig DAO and DA/SAhave no external safeties. Only internal.

Food for thought..

Superlite27

imported post

You will definately notice a significant increase in recoil in .45 ACP compared to 9mm.

I said in comparison. I agree with Stuart959. The recoils do seem different.

To me it's kinda like:

9mm = "snap"

.40 cal = "crackle"

.45 ACP = "pop"

XD40coyote

imported post

Alot more in the .40 vs 9mm, and to me .40 and .45 feel about the same.

XD40= accurate .40, though I personally need more practice! Doing pretty good at 7 yards last time out though. Once I am realtight, I can put the target back some more. I am not Annie Oakley LOL. Part of my problem is some sort of vision thing, its NOT the gun!

Also met a young guy who told me how excellent his XD45 was. If it hadn't been dark out, I would have asked him to show me, right outside, with my XD40, just what he can do with an XD.

I am a woman, so if I can handle .40 and .45, so can you! And yes I can rack the slide on an XD, anyone knows about them knows how stiff the slide is. No weakling here.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Go to a range that rents pistols, and buy a hundred rounds of each of the three calibers. Put a couple mags through everything you can that they have to rent, then you'll have a good idea of what you like, what recoil you prefer, and also what kind of gun and operating/trigger system works for you. That initial $80-100 for your range day is better than buying an $800 Sig (or whatever) and finding out that you can't stand your new gun!

eyesopened

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
I am a woman, so if I can handle .40 and .45, so can you! And yes I can rack the slide on an XD, anyone knows about them knows how stiff the slide is. No weakling here.
Yup, the recoil spring is quite stiff but I think racking the slide is more a technique than pure power. I love my XD45c! It's my first handgun and the trigger has become even more smooth after breaking in. I find that my XD has a bit more snap than my brothers Colt Commander and I think that's mostly due to the weight of the gun. My EMP has a snappier recoil than my friends CZ75 and again I think it's the weight.

Find what you can shoot best. There are lots of great guns in different calibers, just see what you like. 9mm is definitely going to be cheaper to shoot.So if you're new to guns and still learning then 9mm will be cheaper to learn to shoot.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

It has been my experience that there is a noticeable difference between the kick of a a 9mm and .45 cal, and, nota noticeable difference between the kick of a 9mm and .40 cal, or, a .40 cal and .45 cal. I have owneda Beretta PX4 Storm9mm (20 + 1 with the extended mags), and, I own a Beretta PX4 Storm .40 cal (17 + 1 with the extended mags). I believe both weapons are very accurate. Ihaveshot several rounds through both weapons, and, I did not notice a difference with the kick between the two.

The weight of the weapon can play a part as well. I did notice a difference in the kick between my Fratelli Tanfoglio TZ 75 .40 cal (12 rounds) and my Beretta PX4 Storm .40 cal. The TZ 75's kick was stronger than the PX4's kick (TZ 75 weighs more). The kick between my EAA Witness Steel .45 cal (10 rounds) and my TZ 75 was virtually the same; both weapons are very accurate.

There are plenty of weapons out there. I would do what G20-IWB24/7suggest.......go to the range and rent several guns. What works for me may notwork for you. However, if I had to suggest a weapon based on your size and weight, it would be the Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm or .40 cal. You won't be disappointed!!

2nd Amendment.......Use it.......Or, lose it!!:X

XD40coyote

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:
Yup, the recoil spring is quite stiff but I think racking the slide is more a technique than pure power. I love my XD45c! It's my first handgun and the trigger has become even more smooth after breaking in. I find that my XD has a bit more snap than my brothers Colt Commander and I think that's mostly due to the weight of the gun. My EMP has a snappier recoil than my friends CZ75 and again I think it's the weight.

Find what you can shoot best. There are lots of great guns in different calibers, just see what you like. 9mm is definitely going to be cheaper to shoot.So if you're new to guns and still learning then 9mm will be cheaper to learn to shoot.

Yeah basically push and pull at same time to rack the XD's slide, and make sure you have the grip safety pressed in all the way too LOL- or it won't move more than about half inch.

I did test fire an XD 40 4" at a rental range, they had an old beater if you will LOL, felt alot smoother in my hands than the one I bought- gotta break it in. Now I am thinking of a .40 subcompact and a FL nonres ccw permit. I am in PA all the time, not much hope of MD ever being shall-issue, a ccw is needed MORE in MD though. Just nuts!

My comparison of recoil is between the XD40 4" and a 5" Colt 1991 version of the 1911

tarzan1888

imported post

This is one of those can of worms topics.

I don't own a .40 or a 9mm, but I have a 1911 and one son-in-law has a .40 and one has a 9mm and one has a XD45.

The 1911 is heavier and to me is a push.

The .40's I have shot were polymer guns and they had a snap to them not unlike my .357.

The 9mm, which was also a polymerwas sort of in-between the two,

If they had been heavy steel guns I am sure they would have been different.

My son-in-laws XD45 has a little more snap to it than does my 1911.

The bottom line is,for you totry different guns and see what you like to shoot.

Tarzan

PS ........Man its like asking someone, which one of your shoes are going to feel best on my feet.

Marco

imported post

Recoil is subjective.
9mm mild push, even in compact guns.
40SW snappy(muzzle climb)in all, extremely snappy in sub-compacts
45acp mildly snappy in compacts, a firm push in all
10mm a firm push!
.357sig is a medium push, hardly no snap
.357mag snappy in medium frames, extremely snappy maybe even uncomfortable in snub-nose

I shoot 10mm/.357mag better....faster more accurately than 40 or 45

Spend some money at your local range and rent a few different guns in various calibers

tarzan1888

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Recoil is subjective.
9mm mild push, even in compact guns.
40SW snappy(muzzle climb)in all, extremely snappy in sub-compacts
45acp mildly snappy in compacts, a firm push in all
10mm a firm push!
.357sig is a medium push, hardly no snap
.357mag snappy in medium frames, extremely snappy maybe even uncomfortable in snub-nose

I shoot 10mm/.357mag better....faster more accurately than 40 or 45

Spend some money at your local range and rent a few different guns in various calibers

I have never shot a 10mm or a .357 sig, so I can't comment on them, but I can pretty much agree with everything else, that I have had experience with .

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
If your ever in NoVA, stop by and take a turn:D.
BYOA;)

It has been some time since I traveled to Virginia, but I will keep that in mind. ;)

I always travel with one or more gun/guns and I am always trying to travel home with less ammunition than I went with. :)

Tarzan

XD40coyote

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
If your ever in NoVA, stop by and take a turn:D.
BYOA;)

Where's Centreville?

I used to go to NoVA but stopped being friends with the guy who did the driving. He keeps trying to get me to talk to him again ( after like 3 years), but I refuse. He was too controlling and had f-up moments too often . Too far a drive for me to do solo, I just can't handle more than 30 min drives, nor does me driving on 495 on the DC loop seem in any way apealing. It stunk enough when he was driving, all that crazy traffic.

Now if this idiot had not been such an idiot, he could still be taking me places and I'd make him endure open carry dinners LOL