• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A little clarification from the states residents

beardman

I plan to do some traveling into your great state and would appreciate a little clarification on the subject of CC. I have a current State of Connecticut Pistol Permit which allows me to OC and CC. It would appear that this holds no credit in NH, but the only time I would actually need a permit of any kind would be for CC. As I understand this would include OCing inside of a vehicle, is that correct? If so, what permit should I get as I would like to be able to CC in NH and PA as well. Does the state of Utah or Florida permit hold any value in NH?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Tactical9mm

The reciprocity list for New Hampshire is located here:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

and the answer is "yes" for your question on Florida and Utah. A New Hampshire non-resident license would also allow you to carry concealed in PA.

The relevant State statute for unlicensed carry is located here:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-4.htm

To paraphrase it, you can carry concealed & unloaded on your person, and unloaded in a vehicle (concealed or unconcealed) without a license. Loaded open carry outside of a vehicle does not require a license. Carrying loaded in a vehicle (concealed or unconcealed) requires a license.

The statute emphasizes the definition of loaded as "A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges".

My interpretation of that is without a license when in a vehicle, clear your weapon, and remove any rounds from magazines/cylinders.

Welcome to New Hampshire. Enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

Freiheit417

Regarding Florida and Utah licenses:
New Hampshire Does Not Honor Non-Resident Permits/Licenses. You must be a resident of the state they honor for your permit to be valid in New Hampshire.

In other words, if you're a resident of Florida and you have a Florida license, it's valid in NH while a non-resident Florida license is not.
I wish I could find the same info on New Hampshire's site, but here's what Florida has to say: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

IMHO, the Florida license is still worth getting since it will vastly improve the number of states you can carry in.

Both NH and FL are relatively easy to get, with NH being the easiest and fastest. Turn-around time when I applied for my NH license was under 2 weeks I believe. BUT, both are fairly expensive - NH is $100 for 4 years, FL is $117 for 7 years. The hardest part of getting a NH license is parting with your 100 bucks!

ETA: Just noticed this on NH site> "PLEASE NOTE: The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states."

Last edited:

Tactical9mm

Freiheit417 is absolutely correct, and my apologies for any inaccuracies in the reciprocity facts. Since you mentioned Pennsylvania, I looked for the reciprocity agreement on their end.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Crime/Signed NH Agreement.pdf

It doesn't appear to indicate if it just for resident licenses from New Hampshire, or if a non-resident New Hampshire license would be acceptable to them for concealed carry.

Someone from Pennsylvania with the knowledge on this is welcome to chime in (additionally regarding Pennsylvania's honoring of non-resident licenses/permits from States other then New Hampshire).

KBCraig

The NH non-resident license fee was just boosted four years ago. The state immediately lost income, just as your local store would if they raised the price of milk to $12 a gallon.

There's a current bill to restore the fee to $25 for four years.

Freiheit417

The NH non-resident license fee was just boosted four years ago. The state immediately lost income, just as your local store would if they raised the price of milk to $12 a gallon.

That's good to know - thank you. Please update us if this bill passes and becomes law!

beardman

Thanks for the information, I think I'll wait it out and see what happens, I'd be happy to save the $75.

beardman

Looks like this bill died a couple weeks back, to bad, but not really surprising. Trying to get elected officials to actually understand facts and figures seems pointless lately.