• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A quick OC question

opencarryamp

imported post

What are CO's laws on OC Knives? I've looked around but haven't be able to find it. A buddy told me that it's legal as long as you don't enter federal property, school property and if asked you exit private property on the double time.

can any one help me out?

rljohns

imported post

You can go to packing.org and they have the knife carry rules listed. Basically anywhere except Denver City you can conceal carry up to 3.5" and in Denver I believe it is 3.0". Open carry I believe is okay if it is a hunting/fishing knife is used in hunting event. I ask a Lt in the Northglenn PD and he kinda laughed and said he could care less is I had a sword in my truck. What ya going to do? Try to weild it from a truck? I had a boynet that I kept next to my seat in my truck so I could cut my seat belt if I needed to in an emergency. But now I just carry a kershaw knife which is for sure legal in Colorado. Kershaws are great, faster than a switchblade and cheaper!!

Reads like:

Colorado - Criminal Code Section 18-12-101. Definitions...
(e) "Gravity knife" means any knife that has a blade
released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of
gravity or the application of centrifugal force, that when
released is locked into place by means of a button,
spring, lever, or other device... (f) "Knife" means any
dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto with a blade over 3-1/2
inches in length, or any other dangerous instrument
capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing
wounds, but does not include a hunting or fishing knife
carried for sports use. The issue that a knife is a
hunting or fishing knife must be raised as an affirmative
defense. (j) "Switchblade knife" means any knife, the
blade of which opens automatically by hand pressure
applied to a button, spring, or other device in its
handle... (a.3) "Ballistic knife" means any knife that has
a blade which is forcefully projected from the handle by
means of a spring-loaded device or explosive charge.

Anubis

imported post

The state laws relate to what knife can be legally concealed. The blade length limit of 3.5 inches is the principal detail. Fixed blades under 3.5 inches are OK, unlike a lot of other states' laws.

But the original question in the thread concerned open carry of knives. There are no state laws specifying a maximum blade length for open carry.

Autos, "gravity" knives,or balisongs are not permitted either concealed or openly carried.

For a summary of all state knife laws, http://www.thehighroad.org/library/blades/knifelaws.html

Local ordinances are online for severalColorado cities and counties at http://www.municode.com/Resources/online%20Library.asp

Denver is included, so you could do a keyword search for "knife" or "blade".