• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A thought after you have used your SD firearm to defend yourself/loved ones...

solus

what do you do first ~ presuming you or your loved ones are not injured! [Further, remember...as i have stated I will not use my SD firearm to defend JQPublic]
~ render aid?
~ stand where you are w/gun at the ready?
~ call medical?
~ call your attorney?
~ wish you hadn't shot?

there are NC CHP instructors advocating different scenarios as being 'mandated by statute' citizens MUST follow, yet after a decent searchI cannot locate anything...

thoughts

Ghost1958

what do you do first ~ presuming you or your loved ones are not injured! [Further, remember...as i have stated I will not use my SD firearm to defend JQPublic]
~ render aid?
~ stand where you are w/gun at the ready?
~ call medical?
~ call your attorney?
~ wish you hadn't shot?

there are NC CHP instructors advocating different scenarios as being 'mandated by statute' citizens MUST follow, yet after a decent searchI cannot locate anything...

thoughts

Call 911 ,request LE and an ambulance, tell the dispatcher briefly I was forced to shoot in self defense, while keeping an eye out for other threats.

When cops are arriving lay my weapon on the ground and keep both hands in plain sight.
Give the officer my story as too why I shot in SD, once.
At that point by statute here I cannot be arrested or detained unless the state can prove the shooting was not self defence.

bc.cruiser

Call 911, report a shooting at ______ and request police.
"I shot that guy because I was in fear of my/my loved ones life. There is his weapon."
Nothing more without my attorney; probably won't give any statement for 24-48 hours. After all, a cop doesn't.

solus

Thanks for the responces, but nothing on rendering aid to the perp?

’come on BC, let’s talk about what happened so we can straighten this out without going downtown right now!’

ya LE investigators are going to wait 24-48 hours...ask them!

but a further question...always thought it was KYBMS when chatting with LE and yet everyone is spilling their guts on the fone with 911...”what do you mean a shooting...? who was shoot...? Why? Blah blah with 20 questions...all recorded!

how bout “911 what is your emergency? I need medical and LE at XYZ ...” leave call connected as you set the fone down all the while recording in case perp attacks again?

Ghost1958

Personally I won't render aid to someone who forced me to shoot them.
The person could , probably does have friends near. Not risking focusing my attention on the thug.

After the brief 911 call I'll hang up.
Give arriving officer the details of why I was forced to shoot in SD, once, and that's it.

At that point I can't be arrested detained, or taken anywhere, by ky statute unless and until the police have strong evidence it wasnt self defense.
No lawyer for me unless I'm arrested.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I have read many of these events and 90% of the time it is the 911 operator that creates the dangerous situation.
Example: https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/contact-us/911/
Dial 911 for Emergencies Only
Appropriate uses of 911 are instances of immediate danger or there is a crime in progress, such as:
  • person with a weapon (gun/knife)
Calls for service for police, fire and/or medical responders are handled by civilian Emergency Operators who are trained and required to ask certain questions.

They left out this part: to make sure the officers shoot and ask questions later.

OC for ME

...cops must bear the burden to evaluate the situation immediately presented to them...unfortunately cops use the information provided to them from dispatchers, which places a information bias in their noodles vs. using their own eyes upon arrival...such as "gun"...well then, all on the scene are a immediate danger to be neutralized...the Kansas City man shot in his own doorway due to a report to cops vs. the cops using direct observation, is but one tragic example of CoL's point...

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I remember when we used to get cautioned for cop bashing. Then, I had to look up a useful definition of bashing to be something like unrestrained criticism. Meanwhile we have some that strut their ignorance and others’ experience is denigrated.
Unrestrained = uncontrollable. Bashing = severe criticism. Two different things.
And, then you conveniently ignore those that have lots of firsthand experience dealing with bad/dirty cops or, should we say, should have never been cops because of their stormy petrel.

solus

No no CoL, et al., dougie is referring to definitions from modern day translations of those ancient tomes he looks at..all from before any Deities existed on the earth, except for perhaps Amun-Ra...

OC for ME

malleable adjective | mal·lea·ble | \ ˈma-lē-ə-bəl, ˈmal-yə-bəl, ˈma-lə-bəl\

Definition of malleable

1 : capable of being extended or shaped by beating with a hammer or by the pressure of rollers
2a : capable of being altered or controlled by outside forces or influences
2b : having a capacity for adaptive change

or

bash | verb \ bash \ bashed; bashing; bashes

Definition of bash

(Entry 1 of 2) | transitive verb

1 : to strike violently : hit also : to injure or damage by striking : smash —often used with in
2 : to attack physically or verbally
Choose your definition.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Call 911, report a shooting at ______ and request police.
"I shot that guy because I was in fear of my/my loved ones life. There is his weapon."
Nothing more without my attorney; probably won't give any statement for 24-48 hours. After all, a cop doesn't.

This response admits you fired the shots. Even that might be wiser left unsaid until your attorney is present.

Call 911. Request ambulance and police.
Render aid if safe and you know what you're doing.
Call your attorney.

Ghost1958

This response admits you fired the shots. Even that might be wiser left unsaid until your attorney is present.

Call 911. Request ambulance and police.
Render aid if safe and you know what you're doing.
Call your attorney.

In some states , not all, the burden of proof is on the state to prove the shooting was not self defense instead of the shooter having to prove it was.

In those states an arrest or being taken to the station or charges being brought don't happen on the spot 99 percent of the time. Likely wont need an attorney at all if it's a good shoot.

However refusing to even state it was self defense and pointing out the reason why is going to give officers a reason to arrest the shooter since all they have is a shooter who refuses to speak.