• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ACLU and Gun Rights

flagellum

imported post

So I know that the open carry movement is very diverse, and our political spectrum ranges all across the board.

What I am curious to know is if the ACLU has ever taken any action against gun rights. I know that they think it is a collective right, andcertain satellite ACLU chapters (Nevada) have come in open support of the individual right. I can look past their personal view (for the time being) as long as they take no action AGAINST any gun issue. From my research, they have never fought against any gun right issue.

I support their fight to defend the 1[suP]st[/suP], 4[suP]th[/suP], 5[suP]th[/suP], etc… and want to make sure I can support those without hurting my beloved 2[suP]nd[/suP].

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

flagellum wrote:
So I know that the open carry movement is very diverse, and our political spectrum ranges all across the board.

What I am curious to know is if the ACLU has ever taken any action against gun rights. I know that they think it is a collective right, andcertain satellite ACLU chapters (Nevada) have come in open support of the individual right. I can look past their personal view (for the time being) as long as they take no action AGAINST any gun issue. From my research, they have never fought against any gun right issue.

I support their fight to defend the 1[sup]st[/sup], 4[sup]th[/sup], 5[sup]th[/sup], etc… and want to make sure I can support those without hurting my beloved 2[sup]nd[/sup].
UCLU is also pro Illegal Immigration & BIG TIME Liberal.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

There is a strong pro Second Amendment sentiment within the ACLU, as you suggest with your comment about the Nevada chapter. The South Carolina Chapter was de-certified by the National organization and the local unit is still being re-constructed.

http://www.aclusc.org/
American Civil Liberties Union of South Carolina The website for the ACLU of South Carolina is no longer at this location. The American Civil Liberties Union is providing for a new website for the ACLU in South Carolina. Within fifteen seconds, your browser should be redirected to the ACLU national website for information directing you to the location of the new website as soon as it is available.
A principal in Grass Roots Gun Rights South Carolina held a similar position in the de-certified unit and may speak more directly than I can. Further, I had a neighbor even more senior that spoke often of their troubles, before I moved from South Carolina.

Those that would damn the ACLU out of hand do not have any experience or understanding of the internal operations of the organization.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

The ACLU is not nor will it ever be our ally or friend on gun rights...

ACLU POSITION
Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right.

The ACLU is NOT to be trusted when it comes to individual rights... they don't care about individual rights... they are a collectivist organization.

I don't damn the organization... thier own words damn themselves.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
The ACLU is not nor will it ever be our ally or friend on gun rights...

ACLU POSITION
Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right.

The ACLU is NOT to be trusted when it comes to individual rights... they don't care about individual rights... they are a collectivist organization.

I don't damn the organization... thier own words damn themselves.
+1

Tomahawk

imported post

ACLU came to the Gun Rights Policy Conferenceconvention in Northern Virginia back around '04, and tried to form an alliance with RKBA organizations against Bush's infringements of the other rights in the BOR, on the theory that we would be good allies in securing 1st, 4th, and 5th Amm. rights.

They were correct, but no agreement could be reached because they wouldn't budge on their postion on the 2nd. The irony, of course, is that those of us who do care about liberty in general will wind up fighting on their side, anyway, although wearing a different shirt.

My take is that it was pretty extrordinary for them to even show up at such a convention, and that there must be a strong dissident population within their organization who are personally pro-RKBA, even if they won't say so out loud.

ACLU's modern roots are the leftist activists of the 60's, but things can change. Besides, they often stand up for good causes on non-gun issues. If you think what they stand for is worth it, join them. If you're going to try to turn them our way, even better. But be prepared to meet lots of resistance.

Ca Patriot

imported post

The ACLU is one of the biggest enemies of The United States of America.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

ACLU should be disbanded as an 'Enemy of the State'. If they flew their true flag they'd be arrested.

CarryOpen

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
flagellum wrote:

I support their fight to defend the 1[sup]st[/sup], 4[sup]th[/sup], 5[sup]th[/sup], etc… and want to make sure I can support those without hurting my beloved 2[sup]nd[/sup].
UCLU is also pro Illegal Immigration & BIG TIME Liberal.
I don't see what that had to do with the OP's question. If I support illegal immigration or you consider me a liberal, am I no long an ally to the OC cause? I OC and have a strong belief in RKBA, but my other politics may or may not converge with yours.

flagellum

imported post

Look guys, I don't care if the ACLU is "Liberal" or not, those things don't mean anything to me. I was just curious if they have taken any action AGAINST the RKBA. I have not found any information showing that they have. Like the Nevada chapter, there are many who dissent on the collective opinion, and think adding to those dissenters can only mold the organization for the better.

Tomahawk

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
ACLU should be disbanded as an 'Enemy of the State'. If they flew their true flag they'd be arrested.
To be called an Enemy of the State is among the highest honors a man can receive. Or have you forgotten where the term originated? (Hint: it wasn't Sean Hannity).

Ca Patriot

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
To be called an Enemy of the State is among the highest honors a man can receive. Or have you forgotten where the term originated? (Hint: it wasn't Sean Hannity).
Who cares. The ACLU is pure garbage and should be thrown away.

flagellum

imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Well since you haven't presented a reason why they are so terrible, I'm not very inclined to see it your way.

Ca Patriot

imported post

flagellum wrote:
Ca Patriot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Well since you haven't presented a reason why they are so terrible, I'm not very inclined to see it your way.

Well forgive me but I naturally assume that people pay attention to the news and to politics. Is this the first time you have heard of the ACLU ?

There is a wealth of information in books, internet and newspapers about the ACLU.

In short, the ACLU is a secular progressive organizationthat shares NOTHING withAmerica's foundinng fathers.

The ACLU is a Christian hating organization and they sue Christians at every opportunity they can and deny Christians their 1st Amendment rights. The latest example is the most recent Supreme Court ruling that reversed a lawsuit filed by the ACLU against a veterans group who erected a cross to honor soliders.

I cant find a single case that the ACLU filed on behalf of gun rights.

The ACLU is a supporter of Islamic terrorists and a supporter of illegal aliens.

Check out who is already preparing lawsuits in Arizona over the new law enacted there.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
flagellum wrote:
Ca Patriot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Well forgive me but I naturally assume that people pay attention to the news and to politics. Is this the first time you have heard of the ACLU ?

There is a wealth of information in books, internet and newspapers about the ACLU.

In short, the ACLU is a secular progressive organizationthat shares NOTHING withAmerica's foundinng fathers.

The ACLU is a Christian hating organization and they sue Christians at every opportunity they can and deny Christians their 1st Amendment rights. The latest example is the most recent Supreme Court ruling that reversed a lawsuit filed by the ACLU against a veterans group who erected a cross to honor soliders.

I cant find a single case that the ACLU filed on behalf of gun rights.

The ACLU is a supporter of Islamic terrorists and a supporter of illegal aliens.

Check out who is already preparing lawsuits in Arizona over the new law enacted there.
This + 1 , Thank you !

flagellum

imported post

I would rebuttal, but I don't see a point. I think gun rights is probably the only one single thing that we may agree upon.

marrero jeff

imported post

The reason the ACLU hasnt handled a gun case (to my knowledge) is because the majority of gun owners are conservative or moderate and the ACLU is liberal for the most part. So when they have a gun case, most people go to the NRA for help.