• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Adding License to Carry Endorsement to Your Drivers License

gunrights

imported post

I had some time last weekend to speak with an Indiana State Representative at the gun rights policy conference, and she stated that she is looking into having an endorsement added to the Indiana drivers license. So you would not have to have a separate license to carry. This would only pertaining to someone who has a lifetime license. I'm very interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on this idea. Would you be for something like this or would you be against it?

Mark Vanderberg
Host of the Gun Rights Advocates Podcast
http://gunrights.us

ralphb72

imported post

I would be against that. I have a lifetime license so that I don't have to worry about it. It never expires and I never have to renew it. It cost a little more but will save $ in the long run.

Now, if you put that on my drivers license, it's one more thing that the incompetent people at the bmv can screw up on and forget. They will most likely charge more for adding that to the license and once again I have to worry about an expiration date for my permit. Now if my license expires and I have overlooked it, most likely I get by with going to get it renewed right away, but since I am carrying, they could try to take it because my license has expired.

There is so much junk to carry around in my wallet anyway that I would rather have that pink paper that never expires then have to worry about the date.. No thanks, don't mess with a good thing.

tattedupboy

imported post

I agree. I like the system the way it currently is. I like not having to worry about forgetting to renew my LTC, and if it is just simply added as an endorsement to my driver's license, that's something I'd have to worry about.

45acp

imported post

I would not be in favor of this because just like someone has already stated,BMV can and will screw it up.Also,law enforcement has all the info in that high-dollar computer in the car with them.It is your responsibility to inform them up front you are packing a piece.They know everything about you when they run your tags.I cross the Canadian Border twice a week and Customs asks about firearms and weapons.One asked how long I had my permit to carry.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I like the idea. However there are a few drawbacks.

I might not want everyone I show my license to that I carry a weapon, If I happen to be CC'ing that day.

Secondly, what if your liscense gets revoked for too many tickets? Something along those lines, what happens then?

I wish they had a hard platic card instead of the little dinky pink slip, but putting on the drivers license without good planning could be a problem for some people.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Is there a Duty to Notify in Indiana? If not, I wouldn't want every traffic stop to become an event that furthers the 'officer safety' exception.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Wynder wrote:
Is there a Duty to Notify in Indiana? If not, I wouldn't want every traffic stop to become an event that furthers the 'officer safety' exception.
I think there is, if it is official police business.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Wynder wrote:
According to handgunlaw.us (http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf), there is no duty to notify an officer if you're carrying a weapon... So, I would absolutely not want it on a driver's license.
I guess I was wrong, I thought I saw it on packing.org a while ago.

However the only time I had been pulled over since I started packing, I didn't have it on me.

Prometheus

imported post

I don't like the idea at all.

Indiana needs to move to other states laws like VT and AK.

No permit/license required.

The pink card is a joke as it is and they run virtually the same check from the squad car as they do with a LTCH... so whats the point?

LESS LAWS, LESS RESTRICTIONS.

MORE Liberty!!!!!

kiddcaliber44

imported post

We dont have to inform LEO that we are carrying. If asked we do..I do out of respect whether they ask or not.(traffic stop). Is that what you were asking? Im not clear what you were asking.

Superlite27

imported post

There is no duty to inform here in Missouri. We are allowed to get an edorsement on our driver's licences, but I opted to get my CCW endorsement on a seperate ID card.

I don't want Suzy Storeclerk to get all wide eyed when she sees a big red "CCW" when checking my driver's license for a check purchase.

I DEFINATELY don't feel like having the seats torn out of my car by 15Illinois State Troopers, 3Sherriff's deputies, and 2 local K-9 units after beingpulled over for speeding while travelling through The Peoples Republic of Illinois. (I keep my pistol unloaded and in a locked case in my trunk there.)

Nope. I'll keep my pistol and my CCW permit buried everywhere else. If the officer asks, I'll be happy to comply. No problem. But, why would he ask?

vermonter

imported post

If you loose your drivers license what do you think will happen? I prefer seperate documents. A problem with Illinois? Don't forget the "Peoples Republic" of NJ, MA, NYC, DC, MD, and CA!

bobcat

imported post

I would be against that. I have a lifetime license so that I don't have to worry about it. It never expires and I never have to renew it. It cost a little more but will save $ in the long run.
Same goes for me. I've been carrying, albiet mostly CC, for around 20years and have had cops ask for my license more than once, but not my permit. My LTCH is knowledge available on a 'need to know basis' only.

In Indiana, I am not obliged to tell an officer that I am carrying a firearm, whether locked up, CC or OC. I may depending on the situation. In the past, I have not and not had a problem.

My DL is NOT part of my RIGHT to carry a firearm. I do not want the two connected in any way. Lots of possibilities for problems there. Some have been mentioned.

If I am traveling, particularly in neighboring Peoples Republik of Illinois, and happen to have a contact with cops, I DO NOT want to advertise that I may be carrying a firearm. They sure as heck WILL ASK. -And that could cause an unconsented search via a 'drug' dog with a foul sniffer. No I don't do drugs, but that doesn't seem to matter, as dogs may alert on almost anything, including explosives (ammunition).

No, including my 'LTCH' on my DL is NOT a convenience to me. It is a distinct INCONVENIENCE and constitutes bad tradecraft in my opinion.