• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Adopt a first timer??

jpm84092

All I'm offering is companionship and some pointers on how to OC.

Good for you Paul. You are up-front and anyone who contacts you to ask you to mentor them knows that they will be getting "Paul - a fellow Open Carry advocate". But, Paul, you do yourself a disservice, you would be more than merely a companion. Anyone who has followed your posts knows that you have carefully and meticulously researched the relevant Wisconsin law and know how to lawfully open carry in Wisconsin. You fall under the umbrella of a competent mentor in Wisconsin Open Carry Law.

grinner

Do you really want to eliminate a Law Enforcement Officer who is supportive of the average Wisconsin Citizen's right to Open Carry as a potential mentor just because they work in Law Enforcement? If so, please tell me why.

Good points all around. I retract my statement entirely. As a general rule, I would gladly carry with any member of this forum and I welcome any advice they might offer from their experience, LEO or otherwise.

I was projecting some bad personal experiences I've had with local police to LEOs in general. That's not fair. I'm sorry.

Regarding my screen name Grinner. It's just part of my last name. Nothing to do with the MC in Milwaukee.

Thanks for setting me straight.

jpm84092

No problem Mr. Grimmer. What we have just demonstrated is that an armed society is a polite society. We were both polite and respectful in our exchange. (I wish I could say that about the verbal war taking place on the website of the Janesville Gazette right now.) I don't think Paul had any idea about how many words would be typed by liberal keyboard commandos who "know not of what they speak".

paul@paul-fisher.com

Sniff! I love when we all get along!

jpm. Thanks for the kind words. I am not a marksman by any means, only own one gun and am a relative newby to both OC and firearms in general, that's why I wouldn't be super comfortable showing someone all the ropes. I do, however, feel comfortable with OC and would be more than willing to help someone pop their OC cherry.

MKEgal

Not sure if people would consider me a 'good' mentor, but (other than that morning in Brookfield) I've never had a problem in the greater Milwaukee area, and would be willing to do a Wally Walk or shop at PnS with someone.

And hey - I'm VERY well versed in that 'improper carry' statute now, as well as how to not talk with police...
Repeat after me: "Am I free to go officer?"

HolyOrangeJuice

Anyone in the marshfield area? I would be a first time OCer. I PM'd the tomah guys as they are the closest but is anyone closer?

countrymama

I, too, don't know how seasoned I could be considered, however, I'm willing to help in the Hudson - Menomonie - EC areas.

I don't check this site as often as I'd like, with 2 small kids and all, but if you PM me I believe I get an email so you should be able to get my attention that way.

Good idea, g4l

goforlow

HolyOrangeJuice - I don't know of any Marshfield OCer. BUT, I am sure we can find you some help.

Come on folks, lets find "HolyOrangeJuice" an OC friend.

Countrymama - You may not have carried as much as some, but you are not an OC virgin by any means. I will add you to the list.

HolyOrangeJuice

HolyOrangeJuice - I don't know of any Marshfield OCer. BUT, I am sure we can find you some help.

Come on folks, lets find "HolyOrangeJuice" an OC friend.

Countrymama - You may not have carried as much as some, but you are not an OC virgin by any means. I will add you to the list.

I have been talking with a guy who lives in wausau and i might meet up with him sometime. I also did talk to a guy in marshfield who OCs but he hasn't done it around town because of not wanting to be involved in an incident with police. I would like to OC with someone in marshfield though.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
I have been talking with a guy who lives in wausau and i might meet up with him sometime. I also did talk to a guy in marshfield who OCs but he hasn't done it around town because of not wanting to be involved in an incident with police. I would like to OC with someone in marshfield though.

I have LOT'S of family in the Rapids area, and I've carried in Marshfield before. I live in La Crosse but frequently travel to the Marshfield, Rapids, Point area. I'd be more that happy to meet up with you.

PM me and we'll exchange phone #s and make it happen!

Carry On

HolyOrangeJuice

I have LOT'S of family in the Rapids area, and I've carried in Marshfield before. I live in La Crosse but frequently travel to the Marshfield, Rapids, Point area. I'd be more that happy to meet up with you.

PM me and we'll exchange phone #s and make it happen!

Carry On

Alright, PM'd you.

goforlow

Can someone get this "stickied" more permanently? I don't know what is happening, but this gets stickied then unstickied. I ask questions and don't get answers.

Thank you to whoever can help!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Can someone get this "stickied" more permanently? I don't know what is happening, but this gets stickied then unstickied. I ask questions and don't get answers.

Thank you to whoever can help!

If you want something stickied just PM "administrator" John's the one who takes care of that when/if we we would like something stickied; subject to his approval of course.

Last edited:

stewarthgusmc

Sign me up...I am in the Eden/Fond du Lac area. I do, however, have a two of stipulations:

1. We meet first. Although it may be legal, and I am not passing judgement, some people are not capable of nor do they fully understand the responsibilities of carrying a firearm.

2. I would need to witness your weapons handling and your ability to fire your weapon. This could be done at my farm, I have a shooting range..out to 300 yards, if anyone is interest in a place to shoot.

Some may think I'm arrogant and overbearing, so be it, that is not my intent. I am a Marine Corps veteran of 21 yrs, part of that time as a small arms instructor, I shot competatively with the Corps, I ran "C" Range at Camp Lejune for six months qualifing 350 new shooters a week, I am a WI Hunter Safety Instructor, I have I fired a weapon in defense of myself and my loved ones, and I have OC'ed in WI for the 5 yrs I've lived here...I know a little about safe wepons handling and the use of said weapon.

goforlow

stewarthgusmc - you have been added. I understand your position. If someone doesn't like your "conditions", then they can find someone else to go with.

Doug - thank you for sticking your nose in and adding something of absolutely NO VALUE to this thread!