• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

African americans open carrying

CT Barfly

I can totally identify with the OP. I am Black and from New Haven, CT. A good size urban city home of Yale University and A LOT of crime. We are in the top 20 of the most violent cities in the country every year. I carry concealed when I'm out with my daughter and open otherwise. A few months ago I had stopped to get wings and the person working behind the counter tried to tell me I had to cover up (in CT open carry is perfectly legal but the state keeps it on the hush) After I informed him that it was legal and showed him proof he thanked me, gave me my wings and I went on my way. About 2 weeks later I went back for more wings and he said he asked a LEO customer about it and that LEO stated 'it's a good thing I didn't see him, I would have arrested his ass'. That didn't scare me as much as the converstaion afterward. I told him that it wasn't arrestable. And he stated "you're black, you can't get away with what those white boys get away with" That comment REALLY mad me sad, not that it was true, but that fact that some of us are some dumb we believe that there's a unspoken set of rules and laws that are specific only to us to keep 'underfoot'

I guess it goes back to that 'control' that WalkingWolf spoke of.

This made me want to OC even more.

To the OP, OC and do it proudly, watch your demeanor while doing so and get as many blacks in your area to do that same.

How long ago did this happen?!?!?!?!?! CT State Police have issued a training bulletin on OC (bulletin #2013-01), so have a few of the 169 local PDs in the state. The legality of OC is settled in CT and ANY time a police officer demonstrates his lack of knowledge of the law his superior should be notified and roll-call training initiated PDQ. Municipal liability can be reduced as can undue embarrassment on both ends.

PM me for more info on this.

CT towns are hit or miss. New Haven has a big PD (relatively speaking) so maybe not all the boys in blue have been trained up. CT POST needs to get on this.

Last edited:

PALO

How long ago did this happen?!?!?!?!?! CT State Police have issued a training bulletin on OC (bulletin #2013-01), so have a few of the 169 local PDs in the state. The legality of OC is settled in CT and ANY time a police officer demonstrates his lack of knowledge of the law his superior should be notified and roll-call training initiated PDQ. Municipal liability can be reduced as can undue embarrassment on both ends.

PM me for more info on this.

CT towns are hit or miss. New Haven has a big PD (relatively speaking) so maybe not all the boys in blue have been trained up. CT POST needs to get on this.

I couldm't agree more. As I have said many times, no matter WHERE you live (what state, etc.) ... if you OC, you should have a copy of your local PD's General Order/Policy manual and see what, if anything it says about how cops should deal with Open Carriers... and clearly advise ... leave them the heck alone. It's legal. If somebody calls the police to complain , talk to the RP and explain the law.. But don't contact the OCer. Simple

My agency had roll call training in it, and it worked wonderfully.

We have no idea if the cop quoted who said he would have arrested bla bla was just talking smack or was serious. Cops talk a metric buttload of smack, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Gun control had it's roots in racism, it still does, for some reason is not talked about. Most minorities have been sold that gun control is good for them, when it is exactly the opposite. Open carry allows those with less financial means to provide self defense for their families and their person. The training requirements and the high cost of permits in some states puts a unfair burden on the less fortunate. The black panthers once were behind open carry, it seems they changed their tune and they now support gun control.

I spoke to the mayor of Chicago about gun control .. he made no bones about it ... gun control was to keep guns out of the hands of blacks ... all about it.

But its (2nd amendment rights) not a big concern of the black community as a whole....

IMO ... people up north are MORE racist than people in the south ...

Last edited:

PALO

I spoke to the mayor of Chicago about gun control .. he made no bones about it ... gun control was to keep guns out of the hands of blacks ... all about it.

But its (2nd amendment rights) not a big concern of the black community as a whole....

The history of gun control, much like the history of war on drugs is blatantly racist. It's so extensively documented, it's absurd.

That does not mean of course that supporters of gun control or supporters of the WOD (I support neither) *are* racist of course.

Furthermore, gun control disarms a demographic disproportionately in need of the protection of a gun. I've posted the stats before, but young black men are substantially more likely to be the victim of violent crime than young white men (and many other demographics). They also tend to disproportionately live in areas that have some of the strictest gun control laws in the country (DC is a perfect example) although ex-post heller, mcdonald etc. ... it's getting better

The RKBA movement has made pretty good inroads into some cultures that are disproportiontaely victimized by violent crime - gay men for example, but you are right, the RKBA hasn't gained the kind of traction it should amidst the black community (not that there IS a black community, so strike that)... amidst blacks in the USA.

The stats again are staggering. Check out the DOJ's crime reporting, especially the NCVS and the disparities stand out.

Crime rates have been dropping for decades and they have been dropping for black victims and white victims alike. But the disparity remains

In 2005, for example according to DOJ, black males, being about 6% of the population made up 49% of all homicide victims
Blacks had TWICE the rate of victimization for aggravated assault as whites but their rate of simple assault victimization was roughly equal to whites.

Get that? Simple assault (minor ouchies) the same. SERIOUS assaults were a 2:1 ratio and the homicide disparities are ridiculous, too

They also faced a substantialy higher # of offenders that were armed than whites

Blacks faced a firearm in 40% of all robberies whereas whites faced a firearm in 21% of all robberies

Fwiw, native americans faced violent crime at an even more staggering rate

Last edited:

nobama

Its not just people up north,its the liberal democrats that have to keep beating the "race" drum to keep their agenda alive. Unfortunately the black community has been fed a bunch of lies to keep them voting for the democrats. When we lose our rights, we ALL lose them. Our Gov. isnt there to give us sh%t, they are there to protect our liberties and the Constitution, and that means ALL of EVERY single legal citizen of the USA.

sudden valley gunner

Its not just people up north,its the liberal democrats that have to keep beating the "race" drum to keep their agenda alive. Unfortunately the black community has been fed a bunch of lies to keep them voting for the democrats. When we lose our rights, we ALL lose them. Our Gov. isnt there to give us sh%t, they are there to protect our liberties and the Constitution, and that means ALL of EVERY single legal citizen of the USA.

It's not just black people that have been fed a bunch of lies and it isn't just the democrats feeding the people a bunch of lies.

kinggabby

New to this party being that Oklahoma is still new to OC. My view is as follows. If you are legal to own guns and have the permission card ( for us in states that have to have it) then by all means carry.Being white skinned I my self would love to see African American people carry( only African Americans I have seen carry have been LEO or armed security). It would definitely be different for a lot of people to get used to . But in my book people need to get used to it. Just like people need to get used to anyone of any color open carrying. People need to know we are law abiding people.

KBCraig

At the open carry celebration (it wasn't a protest) this past weekend in Fort Smith, Arkansas, a black man was one of the participants.

Since gun control was aimed at those who might resemble him, I thought it was very fitting.

cirrusly

But in my book people need to get used to it. Just like people need to get used to anyone of any color open carrying. People need to know we are law abiding people.

+1. As the general public becomes more comfortable with OC the unlawful detainments and inappropriate LEO behaviors will decrease. We need to continue to foster a positive image of OC.

CT Barfly

Why do I OC?

"To reassure white people that I'm not a felon."

Just one of the many funny ways to answer the question.

Bigpapa

I have 100% sympathy to you and what you are going through. I don't like for a race card to be pulled at every situation that one feels there is justificaiton. But you sir ARE justified today when you deal with that. It is true, sadly that they can't look at the clean shaven, well dressed man and see color of skin to associate. Don't buckle, don't break down, down faulter. Keep goin' on because one day even black people, latinos and every one els will be able to ignore race.

I for one don't ever judge on race alone. Clothing, attitude, speach and overall the way you carry yourself is how i make an opinion about someone. We all have our trash and it's not a racial thing anymore. It's the scum of humanity. The murderers, rapists and theives and they come in all shapes and sizes. We can quickly recognize many of them by the oversize pants hanging off their *** and the overall lack of decent grooming. The danger is the ones you can't easily identify but they are right there on our TV, radio, and political office sometimes. College educated, well dress, groomed for success SoBs that don't care about you or me. They steal our rights if we don't watch them and ignore them. Alas I rant now...

Carry on, sir. You have done nothing wrong. You know this. Take it each time they abuse you, that is a little victory. You are lawfully carrying though they don't want you to. But they can't take it away from you, can they? Smile everytime this happens because though they might harrass and hummiliate you, you won because you went home. And it will make them even more angry when you walk away with a smile on your face.

It's like a little "neener-neener neener-neener."

Hey, are you still on this site, I see that you're from Goldsboro I grew up there?

Gun Daddy PV

Any other black men or women here have any oc experiences?
Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

Sorry that happened to you. I'm white and have only seen one black person OC irl. This was a woman, OCing a S&W Airweight in a nice Kydex holster. I was CC at the time and approached her. I told her that it was good to see someone OCing and commented that the S&W was a great choice - very reliable and a very good caliber.

The woman was a bit taken aback by my talking to her about her gun without being prompted. In a way, I was jealous, as I saw her as a brave person, exercising her 2nd Amendment rights openly, while I carried my PT-709 under my shirt in an IWB.

I was a little jealous and held a lot of admiration for her. I still do - though I haven't seen her since.

Logan 5

I myself am an african american and as much as I hate to claim the race card, it holds true in open carry situations.

I've been places with a white friend and we both open carried and law enforcement felt the need to detain me, seize my gun, THEN check my permit (in that order). But my white friend was not treated this way. His permit wasn't even checked.
All of that aside...how many criminals open carry? How many criminals have permits? What is the RAS & PC for this encounter?
So what if you're black. I don't care, nor should the cops.

Adam Cook

I myself am an african american and as much as I hate to claim the race card, it holds true in open carry situations.

I've been places with a white friend and we both open carried and law enforcement felt the need to detain me, seize my gun, THEN check my permit (in that order). But my white friend was not treated this way. His permit wasn't even checked.

Just to give a little extra information, that day I was coming from a job interview, I was clean shaven, neat, wearing slacks, shirt, and tie, so I did not present the gangster hoodlum image, at least not in my view.

I've once been pulled off of a train by 5 leos, stripped of my gun, slammed against the wall and humiliated only to find that I was in possession of a very valid permit (weapons carry license as it's known as in georgia).

I've had 911 called on me, even joined blackgunowners.org and was told that my experience was the norm for a man of color.

Any other black men or women here have any oc experiences?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

White guy here. I agree with you this does happen. If I could apologies for the racist cops and the racist people who will call 911 on you but not on a white guy, I would. It's ******** and it makes me sick to my stomach. And that's just from my point of view. I can only imagine how it feels from your point of view and my imagination probably doesn't even come close. We can only hope that one day it will be different. Stay strong, always record encounters and keep exposing this racist behavior.