• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo at walmart

Va_Nemo

Well, life has changed in Va at walmart for ammo sales. I went there today to make a purchase. Dept manager got it off the shelf and started to ring it up and asked for ID. I got my wallet out and started for drivers license. But a quick thought on the swipe strip make me go for my Va CCW permit. (Side note #1, That DL will need to fall in between the magnets I recovered from a microwave for a few dozen hours. And that might scratch the other marks up a bit too.)

It was the dept manager who was ringing me up and she said no go on that, needed drivers license. I advised that was issued by Va State Police and required much more checking on me than drivers license. She said no go and only drivers license would do. I asked what if I did not have one and she said no sale.

I asked for manager, she said she was manager. I said No, I want the overall store manager. She was put out and grumpy and I told her not the manager for hard goods or that side or such, the head manager in the store.

She became more snootyfied and got on the phone. About 10 minutes later 3 came to the counter. One the loss prevention manager, the store asst manager and the manager for that side of the store. I decided to deal with that level and work up the chain of command if needed. (Side note #2, the loss prev lady was possibly low 30s. The other 2 were both 25 max. I got a grin out of that.)

After a 10 minute discussion and showing both my Va CCW and FL CCW and substantial review of corp policy on the phone display, they decided that corporate policy was being met and made the sale.

Dept manager who rang up at the end of it was aghast at the whole idea of me getting 200 round of WWB 45acp without a drivers license. She remained highly snootyfied as I grinned at her like a big dog.

Nemo

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Educate, educate, educate!

Good price? Do they have plenty?

BTW - which WalMart?

Last edited:

Roverhound

I go to the Staunton Walmart for ammunition sometimes and since they started doing this I've only been asked for ID once.
I would like to know what they think they are accomplishing by glancing at a 50 year old man's ID.

Wstar425

I ran into similar at Walmart in Rhinlander, WI asking for ID. Said it was to make sure I was not
from Illinois, then would also need a FOID card. Rhinelander is 250 miles north of the state line.

I showed my DL before I really thought about it; as they were entering intel into their computer. I don't believe there are any laws in Wisconsin regarding Illinois residents purchasing ammo there, I could be wrong. I think just a "misguided" Walmart policy.

This was two years ago, have not been back. I was buying 9mm or .357, but handgun ammo anyway. Yes, I know Henry makes a .357 rifle.

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

much like beer and wine sales....

They now ask for ID on all ammo purchases. To complete the sale, they have to enter a birthdate. I have provided either the birthdate or the ID as needed to escape since I lose at least 10 minutes running to ground someone with a key for the frickin' cabinet. By that time, all I want is to get on with my day. I have not lost my instant and obvious membership among "Thee OULDE PHARTS Club": Mostly silver hair, white beard and a general lack of patience with bovine scatology. As my recent purchases have been .22LR the dreaded "is this for a handgun?" question also is part of the transaction. I doubt a blind clerk would question my being over 21. I suspect that incompetent employees have endangered their ability to sell firearms and ammo and they had to crackdown on the process in light of a better grade of idiot requiring more proofing.

HPmatt

I go to the Staunton Walmart for ammunition sometimes and since they started doing this I've only been asked for ID once.
I would like to know what they think they are accomplishing by glancing at a 50 year old man's ID.

Checking your gender...

Urban Youth

I've never been carded when buying ammo from Wal-Mart. I dunno why you all are getting carded. I don't even get carded when going to any if the local gun shops to buy ammo. Okay, well once I have. I used to have really long hair and beard. I was a regular at the shop but they only knew me with aforementioned hair. Shaved it all off and noone recognized me just about anywhere I went, so I did get carded. Mostly it was because I look like. 6'2" 200lb 12 year old without any hair.

Va_Nemo

I was told they needed to verify my age because it was a minimum age required product. Now being 58 and having hair whiter than new fallen snow ought to give anyone with a half a lick of sense a good idea on that.

It was the monster size walmart on Wards Road across from Liberty Univ.

Price was $76 for the 200 round box and they had a few more. Not bad. I was there about a a month ago and bought 5 Tula 50 round boxes of 9mm and had no request for ID or any such.

Info seemed just to verify DOB and other than reading nothing else was done. I decided to use the CCW card so there would be no magnetic strip swipe on the drivers license. That is something that once done cannot be undone so DL gets used rarely where ID is requested.

Nemo

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Merchants, especially those that are 'big box' stores usually operate on the 'lowest common denominator' system. If there are two or more ways to do a thing then the one that requires the least amount of individual discretion on the part of an employee is preferred.

I used to sell alcoholic beverages at a store and state law only says that an individual had to be 21 and over to purchase. The store made me check Everyone's ID, even those who had white hair and leaned on a cane. I commiserated with them about how useless it was but asked, "If you told an employee to do something or get fired and they didn't, would you fire them?"

No one ever said they wouldn't so I followed up with "You think it's stupid, I think it's stupid but my employer says 'check everyone or get fired', so what do you think I'm going to do?"

Last edited:

solus

think you found the crux, employees doing what they are told...

the rosewood nc walmart's signage states:

federal law mandates 'positive identification' (whatever that document is) for all sales. perfer Driver's License.

no reference to any federal code listed.

ipse

1245A Defender

Well,,,

reminds me of an old story...
A 40 yr old lady with groceries, puts her 6 pack on the conveyor for check out.
The mindless drone asks for her ID...
She thinks,,, Im old enough to be his mom,,,
but he thinks I look that young,,, I am flattered!
Sooo,, she is digging for her license,,,, when she stops!!!!
Her 6 pack,,,, is Coke- A Cola!!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
reminds me of an old story...
A 40 yr old lady with groceries, puts her 6 pack on the conveyor for check out.
The mindless drone asks for her ID...
She thinks,,, Im old enough to be his mom,,,
but he thinks I look that young,,, I am flattered!
Sooo,, she is digging for her license,,,, when she stops!!!!
Her 6 pack,,,, is Coke- A Cola!!!!

Dots extremely funny!

Firearms Iinstuctor

think you found the crux, employees doing what they are told...

the rosewood nc walmart's signage states:

federal law mandates 'positive identification' (whatever that document is) for all sales. perfer Driver's License.

no reference to any federal code listed.

ipse

I always ask them to show me the code that one can not return ammo also.

I hear the same its the Law.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't know if there is a "code" that prohibits return of ammo, but, "code" or no "code", I would never accept any that had been out of my possession. It could have been altered, the content of the boxes exchanged for some other brand, damaged in some way or any of a dozen other things that would make me liable for any accidents caused by that ammo in the future. No thank you! You bought it, you keep it. My wife once bought some ammo for me as a gift. Very sweet and thoughtful of her, but she bought .357 sig instead of .357 magnum. I still have it and take it to every gun show that I attend, but haven't found anyone that wants it for any price. I may be forced to buy another gun.

Of course you will blame your wife for that predicament. LOL.