• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Rochester Area Gun Store Bans In Store Carry?

jrd929

So I went to a relatively new gun store in the area, Coyote Creek Outfitters in Rochester, NH on Rt. 11, and saw the sign next to their front door saying "No Loaded Firearms Beyond This Point" :banghead: . If you go there it's pretty obvious to see. So being the concerned gun owner that I am, I asked an employee about the sign and he said "The sign is for people looking to service their guns or try out holsters" which is understandable. He also said "We do welcome CCW holders [no mention of open carry] to shop here" but that's not what the sign says. I asked if they would consider rewording the sign and the employee said "No, and that we have the right to ask people carrying firearms to leave". Now it seems like they are sending a mixed message. Granted I didn't talk to the store manager or owner, at least the name tag on the employee didn't say manager on it. I tried to call back but they were closed when I called so I will call back when they are open and speak to the manager or owner of the store. I was disappointed to see that sign but I do respect their private property rights and will go elsewhere so long as that sign stays up, there is a Walmart right up the street which I have not had much of an issue with since I started OCing, but at least they don't have a "no guns allowed" sign in their door. Now I don't know if this is a new trend in the area as Rennesanse Firearms also still has a similar "No loaded firearms allowed sign" (as of a month or so ago last I checked) which was brought up in another post.
There are gun stores in the area that welcome open and concealed carry. One I know of is a store called Gold and Things in downtown Rochester. Their selection is small as they just started selling guns, but they seem have a good prices on special orders and reasonable ammo prices. Another store is Ammo Dump also on Rt. 11, which to my knowledge does not have any such sign banning people from carrying in the store.

Jon

doobie

I keep hearing their ads on the radio. Will try to visit it Open Carry....and see how things go..

Rottieman33

I have carried in that store about a dozen times. Sign says no loaded fire arms in store I pop mag out of gun and stick it in my back pocket and walk in. And have never had a problem. But you do have to look at it how they see it, not everybody out there maybe as safe with a gun as you are, they are just protecting themselves. I belong to local gun club and have seen people there that scared me and I left just so I am not around them. It only takes 1 time for someone to take their gun out of there holster to show the guy and forget there is 1 in the chamber and it goes off. That sign is there to protect them and you from someone having a brain fart.

MKEgal

not everybody out there may be as safe with a gun as you are, they are just protecting themselves
That sign is there to protect them and you from someone having a brain fart
It's perfectly safe to leave a pistol in its holster. Nothing will happen.
Handling it, unloading & re-loading, introduces the possibility that you'll get a finger where it shouldn't be & the pistol will go BANG when you don't want it to.
As you pointed out here:
Rottieman33 said:
It only takes 1 time for someone to take their gun out of their holster to show the guy and forget there is 1 in the chamber and it goes off.

I pop mag out of gun and stick it in my back pocket and walk in
Your gun still isn't unloaded - there should be one round chambered.
Or do you normally carry an unloaded (nearly useless) pistol?

I belong to local gun club and have seen people there that scared me and I left just so I am not around them.
If you're not comfortable educating them on safety, how about taking names & reporting them to the board, so they'll at least get further education and possibly lose their membership?
Isn't that better than someone getting hurt or killed?

Rottieman33

I thought this was funny
Or do you normally carry an unloaded (nearly useless) pistol?

For 1 you have no clue what I carry for a side arm. My gun has no safety except for my finger so I don't feel safe carrying with 1 in the chamber and I am the only 1 that knows there is not one in the chamber (now other people know). Having 1 in the chamber has it good points and bad points just like not having 1 in the chamber. It’s all in personal preference.

PavePusher

I thought this was funny

For 1 you have no clue what I carry for a side arm. My gun has no safety except for my finger so I don't feel safe carrying with 1 in the chamber and I am the only 1 that knows there is not one in the chamber (now other people know). Having 1 in the chamber has it good points and bad points just like not having 1 in the chamber. It’s all in personal preference.

Very odd. Every semi-auto I know has a safety, except some very, very old ones. It may not be external/manually selectable. Or perhaps you carry a revolver with no block/bar system.... except that you mentioned "remove the magazine".... so i'm not sure how carrying chambered would be unsafe. Oh well, as you say, "personal preference".

doobie

Very odd. Every semi-auto I know has a safety, except some very, very old ones. It may not be external/manually selectable. Or perhaps you carry a revolver with no block/bar system.... except that you mentioned "remove the magazine".... so i'm not sure how carrying chambered would be unsafe. Oh well, as you say, "personal preference".

Sig239 bought in 2008. No safety*. Keltec 3p-at bought in 2012, no safety*. Always keep one in the chamber...esp on the keltec the mag falls out too easily....

* My finger is the safety.

Last edited:

FIVETWOSEVEN

I personally won't go back to Coyote Creek any time soon. Went in their looking for a Lever Action rifle and noticed they had an used AK on the wall with a drum mag priced at $3,500. I know there is a buying panic so increased prices are expected but that's just over board. They are hoping to cash in on someone in panic mode by selling him a $500 rifle with 3 grand added on. Such price gouging is disgusting.

Rottieman33

Thanks for the info because of that I will not go there anymore. That's just wrong $3,500 at max that gun maybe worth what $1,500

motoxmann

I personally won't go back to Coyote Creek any time soon. Went in their looking for a Lever Action rifle and noticed they had an used AK on the wall with a drum mag priced at $3,500. I know there is a buying panic so increased prices are expected but that's just over board. They are hoping to cash in on someone in panic mode by selling him a $500 rifle with 3 grand added on. Such price gouging is disgusting.

Thanks for the info because of that I will not go there anymore. That's just wrong $3,500 at max that gun maybe worth what $1,500

drum mags alone are worth several hundred dollars new and used, by standard standards, not even considering recent price gouging.

also, PRE-ban military style rifles are also quite valuable, and same thing applies; $3,000 price tag is not abnormal for a pre-ban rifle. and in recent sales of pre-ban rifles, $3500 is actually on the LOW end of prices.

until you actually know ALL of the specifics about that exact rifle, I do recommend you not talk so poorly of the shop selling it, or say anything at all.

and no I am not affiliated with Coyote Creek in anyway, and have never even been to that part of NH before. I only came to this thread because it said "Rochester" in the title, and I grew up in Rochester NY and was curious, and after starting to read I was intrigued and read through all the posts and needed to inform the less informed

Last edited:

FIVETWOSEVEN

drum mags alone are worth several hundred dollars new and used, by standard standards, not even considering recent price gouging.

also, PRE-ban military style rifles are also quite valuable, and same thing applies; $3,000 price tag is not abnormal for a pre-ban rifle. and in recent sales of pre-ban rifles, $3500 is actually on the LOW end of prices.

until you actually know ALL of the specifics about that exact rifle, I do recommend you not talk so poorly of the shop selling it, or say anything at all.

and no I am not affiliated with Coyote Creek in anyway, and have never even been to that part of NH before. I only came to this thread because it said "Rochester" in the title, and I grew up in Rochester NY and was curious, and after starting to read I was intrigued and read through all the posts and needed to inform the less informed

So I guess seeing the same AK, both online and in other shops, for around $700 - $900 during the panic with a $300 magazine during the panic = $3,500? Pre ban? Sorry but we don't have something silly like that up here in NH. It was a nothing special AK with a drum that was grossly overpriced. I could buy two AR15s for that price than some CAI assembled AK.

Before the panic, the AK was a $500 to $600 rifle and the magazine was $75. Heck earlier in the year that rifle was under $500 dollars easy. Welcome to the world outside of CT.

and after starting to read I was intrigued and read through all the posts and needed to inform the less informed

I'm less informed when you are talking about pre ban stuff with high prices in a place without a pre/post ban class of firearms and prices that aren't insane for regular rifles outside of a panic.

Less informed.....Right........:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Freiheit417

FIVETWOSEVEN or anyone else - any decent shops you would recommend? I don't shop in stores that don't allow carry.

I will probably be in the Exeter area in a couple months and maybe the Lakes Region (Winnipesaukee area) this summer.

ldsgeek

FIVETWOSEVEN or anyone else - any decent shops you would recommend? I don't shop in stores that don't allow carry.

I will probably be in the Exeter area in a couple months and maybe the Lakes Region (Winnipesaukee area) this summer.

Rileys in Hooksett
Wicked Weaponry, also Hooksett (new and small but growing)
State Line Guns, Mason
Manchester Firing Line, Manchester - Full line shop and range with rentals, including full auto

PM when you are in the area, maybe we can hit a few shops.