• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti's will boycott Starbucks on Valentine's Day 2012 - Go make a purchase!

Baked on Grease

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...boycott-on-valentines-day-2012-137890863.html

WHY STARBUCKS? Currently, Starbucks allows guns and assault weapons to be openly carried in its stores (in 43 states) and concealed and carried in its stores (in 49 states) (See Photos). Starbucks' compliance with the National Rifle Association's Pro-Gun Agenda was exposed in 2010 when members of the "open carry" movement began meeting in popular chains, such as California Pizza Kitchen, Peets, IKEA, Disney and Starbucks openly carrying their handguns and assault rifles. (Types of Guns)

To protect their customers and employees, all of the retail chains—except for Starbucks— banned guns from being carried in their stores.

"Starbucks allowing guns to be carried in thousands of their stores significantly increases everyone's risk of being a victim of gun violence," says Elliot Fineman, CEO of the NGAC. "Open and conceal and carry are among the reasons there are 12,000 gun homicides each year in the U.S. If we had England's gun laws we would expect 375 gun homicides each year—97% less than we have. England's gun laws are based on protecting public safety, ours on maximizing sales for the gun industry."

Sounds crazy I know, but I heard an idea on the Virginia Open Carry FB page I thought I would share here for the whole community to enjoy. Since the Anti-gun people expect the Starbucks stock price to fall dramatically because of their 1 day boycott, why don't we pop in and buy something and express our thanks to management? The CEO of Starbucks has requested previously when he announced his decision to allow legally carried firearms in his locations that he didn't want to be at the center of controversy, thus any big get together or meetings will probably not be look upon favorably.

The idea in mind was more along the lines of each of us just hopping in in the course of our daily business on Valentines day and buy something and thank them, if a couple of people want to do so together I see no harm in it, but I would think we'd want to steer clear of large groups for this. This would severely offset any damage their boycott could do, and let Starbucks know that they made the right decision.

Feel free to re-post this on as many Pro-gun sites and groups as you can, spread the word.

Ed has thoughtfully provided a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/events/261743290558881/

Last edited:

Aknazer

If you go to the actual NGAC webpage they say the boycott will be until Starbucks changes its way and becomes an advocate for sensible gun control. They also claim to be over 40mil strong.

MKEgal

"First they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you, then you win."
M. Gandhi

I think we're somewhere between step 3 & 4, with the Brady Bunch on the losing tail end of the fight.

As our WI cc law has gone into effect, there have been places that tell us they don't want our money, so we stay away & tell our friends about their policy.
They then object that we're boycotting them.
No, we're just obeying their wishes.
This stunt that the anti's are pulling is a true boycott.
There's no real reason for it, other than being a political stunt.
If I have a few dollars available on 14FEB, I'll go to a local SBX & get some tea, sit around with my computer, & express my appreciation that they're not turning me & my friends away. (Usually when I want a chai fix I go to my favorite local shop, but for the cause I'll spend some time @ SBX.)

hermannr

These guys have done this several times, I think it's their annual Valintine to Starbucks...hasn't worked yet.

BTW: a couple years ago one of the Seattle TV channels ran this story and tagged a poll to it. Should Starbucks allow people to carry or not?

Carry...93%, not...7% almost 3000 votes total.

PistolPackingMomma

Would it be considered too much if we wrote short and sweet letters to the Starbucks CEO expressing our gratitude for not caving to pressure from the crazies? I understand he's said he does not want to be the focus of this whole thing, but would a note be out of line?

Baked on Grease

"First they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you, then you win."
M. Gandhi

I think we're somewhere between step 3 & 4, with the Brady Bunch on the losing tail end of the fight.

As our WI cc law has gone into effect, there have been places that tell us they don't want our money, so we stay away & tell our friends about their policy.
They then object that we're boycotting them.
No, we're just obeying their wishes.
This stunt that the anti's are pulling is a true boycott.
There's no real reason for it, other than being a political stunt.
If I have a few dollars available on 14FEB, I'll go to a local SBX & get some tea, sit around with my computer, & express my appreciation that they're not turning me & my friends away. (Usually when I want a chai fix I go to my favorite local shop, but for the cause I'll spend some time @ SBX.)

I am sure there are a few people in your area that would gladly donate a chai tea to you on Valentines day. :)

protias

They attempted this a few years ago from what I can remember. Starbucks has made even more money since then. Hmm, I wonder why? :lol:

Yance

The word is spreading fast in Michigan, several websites outside of OCDO is talking about it, including Michigan Open Carry, Inc. Hopefully this will be a nice demonstration on how strong the firearm and carry community really is. I think the antis underestimate our numbers.

William Fisher

Anyone have a figure on how many STARBUCKS have been robbed since they've allowed OC and CC, or know how to search for such info? I haven't been able to find any statistics.

I ask this because I believe the number will be very low compaired to CPZs and a good statement to make concerning the logic in carrying.

Last edited:

Dreamer

William Fisher

I've posted this in the other boycott thread:

Do you (Those here) think that because of the boycott that LEOs will be more aware of the legal aspects of CC and OC or will there be (many) cases of OCers getting grief? Seems like this would make LEOs more aware of citizens rights concerning the matter, But who knows.

Iopencarry

William,

As on e of the group that started the debate in the bay area of CA a few years ago, i can tell you that we have had almost no response from LEO's during any Starbucks meet ups.
We held meets weekly for over 3 yrs in SB's and many other places.

William Fisher

William,

As on e of the group that started the debate in the bay area of CA a few years ago, i can tell you that we have had almost no response from LEO's during any Starbucks meet ups.
We held meets weekly for over 3 yrs in SB's and many other places.

Thank You for the reply.

sudden valley gunner

Peoples comments about situational awareness crack me up, like we will not drop the paper and coffee if something drastic enough was to happen where we needed to use the firearm.

How situationally aware do they walk around? Hey 4 LEO were caught unaware and killed here in Lakewood Washington, should we bash them for not being "situationally aware".

I bet if the gun carrier was to constantly look around and be over aware they would suddenly call it nervous and acting twitchy.....their excuses will never stop.