• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any preppers here

KansasMustang

Need to prepare? For what? As to the question, I'm always prepared. In Basic training I had a Senior Drill that was a sadist, but then again didn't all of us that went thru Basic/Boot? His thing was when he first addressed the training company I was in he asked "What's the Boy Scout Motto?" Of course this good Boy Scout knew "Be Prepared" But the ignorant ones didn't! Soooo we as a company owed the sadistic sumbitch 1000 pushups by the time he was satisfied that all knew. He extracted the pushups at every turn, but also stuck in my mind, NEVER be UNPREPARED!

KRM59

Need to prepare? For what? As to the question, I'm always prepared. In Basic training I had a Senior Drill that was a sadist, but then again didn't all of us that went thru Basic/Boot? His thing was when he first addressed the training company I was in he asked "What's the Boy Scout Motto?" Of course this good Boy Scout knew "Be Prepared" But the ignorant ones didn't! Soooo we as a company owed the sadistic sumbitch 1000 pushups by the time he was satisfied that all knew. He extracted the pushups at every turn, but also stuck in my mind, NEVER be UNPREPARED!

I think i met that Drill...lol or his clone. Had a Senior Drill that looked and acted just like R. Lee Ermy. On a quiet night i can still hear him yelling " Don't stop till your A**Hole ozzes". as for the OP What are you talking about? aint no prepies here ... lol maybe a few old Hippies.

t33j

I’ve been looking for a book to read for a while so I picked up a copy of One Second After after somebody mentioned it in this thread. I started reading it last night, and realized how screwed I’d be if the situation in that book became a reality. My initial thought was to drive >150 miles back to my home… but then I realized my car wouldn’t be working. I could walk it, but it’d take more than a week, and the trip would likely be dangerous. Also, the electronic medical device that keeps me alive would have to be replaced by something else making the trip even more difficult. I thought about a horse as an alternate form of transportation but realized most things of value I would be able to use for barter are electronic in nature. I have spare guns but those are the last things I would want to part with. Then I remembered I have an obligation to the relative I’m staying with – who frankly would not last very long alone… I couldn’t just leave.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I’ve been looking for a book to read for a while so I picked up a copy of One Second After after somebody mentioned it in this thread. I started reading it last night, and realized how screwed I’d be if the situation in that book became a reality. My initial thought was to drive >150 miles back to my home… but then I realized my car wouldn’t be working. I could walk it, but it’d take more than a week, and the trip would likely be dangerous. Also, the electronic medical device that keeps me alive would have to be replaced by something else making the trip even more difficult. I thought about a horse as an alternate form of transportation but realized most things of value I would be able to use for barter are electronic in nature. I have spare guns but those are the last things I would want to part with. Then I remembered I have an obligation to the relative I’m staying with – who frankly would not last very long alone… I couldn’t just leave.

One second after, great read. really makes you rethink your preps, weapons, meds, etc. a very grim look at a future reality. I loved it. the end is really ......... can't spoil it for ya.

hopnpop

Teotwawki?

If you're talking prepping the way I think you're talking prepping, then I'd say I'm in the process. Actually, anyone who starts prepping doesn't really finish prepping - it's an endless task. We'll be prepping until those preparations are needed.

To those mentioning One Second After - I haven't read it but will look into it. Let me recommend to YOU all - PATRIOTS: Surviving the Coming Collapse, by James Wesley, Rawles. ...and keep your highlighters handy...