• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody carrying a long barrel revolver?

WalkingWolf

Ah yes, the ancient technique of aim-fu. Some still practice it today, myself included. I am however a strong proponent of accurate reflexive point shooting too. But like aiming takes much practice and control, and this iteself becomes a form of aiming due to it being a very controlled technique. I used to cast my own wax bullets when I was 15, and would gun-sling those bad boys in the back yard propelled my just the caps. I’d have soda cans and empty milk cartons to shoot at. Started out slow, smooth and built the "feel" of it, and increased the pace only as fast as my accuracy would allow. The little pop never alarmed anyone and no one seemed to care, so I had hours of fun. When shooting lead balls with powder (not in the back yard of course), It all translated over very nicely, and I became extremely accurate at medium close ranges where most gunfights would occur. Well, now I’m 30 years older, some newer/modern guns, some army training, and a good hand injury later… I’m not as fast or as practiced as my youthful self, but I can hold my own in technique and accuracy with just about anything that slings lead regardless of shape or size or mechanical function. The ultimate answer is to simply build good controlled technique that incorporates a swift controlled movements with a touch of patience… for most that means “slow down” – Because slow is smooth, and smooth is fast... aiming can play a big role in there too.
;)

I practice point shooting myself, and back 10 years ago I shot SASS, and quick draw. At close distance point shooting is good as long as a person knows where the rounds will go, and there is still somewhat aiming to it. I use the front sight like a shotgun sight, as opposed to just pointing, though I point only when I use the airsoft.

Incident like in NYC where officers empty their sidearms and only manage a few hits on the threat, and the rest into bystanders is becoming all too common across the country.

Batousaii

I practice point shooting myself, and back 10 years ago I shot SASS, and quick draw. At close distance point shooting is good as long as a person knows where the rounds will go, and there is still somewhat aiming to it. I use the front sight like a shotgun sight, as opposed to just pointing, though I point only when I use the airsoft.

Incident like in NYC where officers empty their sidearms and only manage a few hits on the threat, and the rest into bystanders is becoming all too common across the country.

Very cool. I never did SAS stuff, would have loved to thought. Most of my "practice" with arms has been in the mindset of defense (or offense if needed). To return to topic, I've always felt a longer barrel helps for point shooting, but makes the arm a bit more cumbersome, slower to manipulate from target to target, but does make it more accurate. It's a balance. I always like the mid size barrels around 4 or 5 inches. Someday I want a Blued S&W Model 29 .44-mag with a 6.5" barrel, hopefully a late 70's to mid 80's model... a very iconic arm, and ya, I'd carry that.
:dude:
- I think much of the problem with police and their "flood style" of shooting comes from a lack of training, and a lack of consequence. Simply, we seem to (as a society) allow it.. So they keep doing it. If you or I did that, well, we'd be in jail. I do agree with your statement thought, another reson I like revolvers.

Last edited:

tomrkba

The longest I go is 5" on an S&W TRR8. I prefer a 4" barrel because the muzzle is high enough that the gun doesn't jam into my side when I sit in a booth or chair with soft cushion.

Red Dawg

:dude:
- I think much of the problem with police and their "flood style" of shooting comes from a lack of training, and a lack of consequence. Simply, we seem to (as a society) allow it.. So they keep doing it. If you or I did that, well, we'd be in jail. I do agree with your statement thought, another reson I like revolvers.

Another theory I have is this: When I learned to shoot, it was single shot. Dad taught me to "make the shot count"...HE wouldn't allow me to move "up" to his 870's until I learned that there isn't always a second shot. I have seen people wong shooting and just blasting because they know they have another shot. I FEEL like cops and others have gotten into the mindset of "I have a bazzillion more rounds, I'll get them with one of them"...Think back, and like some havse said. when you shoot a black powder replica, it teaches discipline. Takes some time to re-load...I think it was Walking WOlf that carries this type and has a spare cylinder, for a speed loader...
I have carried my .44 BP 6 gun replica once. More for the show and fun aspect, but, I am not a show and fun aspect kinda guy, so it was just once...

Thos.Jefferson

Remington copy

1858 Remington in cap and ball for me. The only reaction I've encountered has been " What type of weapon are you carrying today sir?". I have to say the thing looks huge on me as I'm not a large guy. It is my favorite sidearm, thing shoots like a laser.

fighting_for_freedom

I am curious if anyone carries a long revolver similar to the cowboy style. I suppose we are talking around 8 inches in length probably.

Not doing it myself, just interested if any one does or not. I am not sure it is practical or possibly a little provocative/ scary to people (sheeple).

David

I sometimes carry my Walker. It's got a 10 inch barrel. Weighs half a ton, too. It is an extremely impractical weapon to carry, unless you want to beat your opponent to death. I prefer a shorter, say 5 1/2 inch barrel for everyday carrying. Most of my carry revolvers are between 4 - 6 inches, all single action. I have noticed, however, that it seems that nobody ever notices my revolvers when I carry (with the exception of the Walker), but if I carry my 1911 or my .32 auto, I get a lot of looks.

The biggest problem with long-barrelled revolvers, aside from the weight, is that they smack you in the knee (if you don't tie them down), you can't sit down or get into a car without adjusting yourself, and they are hard to draw easily should the need ever arise. With my Walker, I have to pull my the gun up into my armpit almost before it clears leather. It's either that, or drop my holster down to my calf.

And I too, carry in a rig very similar to the poster a few posts above. Minus the drop holster, although I do want to make a new belt for my .45 Colt, and I might make it a drop belt.

hafnhaf

i carried my 7-1/2" Ruger Old Army (stainless) the other day in the Buscadero rig it came with. just for fun. i still had my .380 in my pocket, and my kid with his .380 as well.

i would love to get a set of ivory grips with either a sheriff star (silver) or a steer head carved into it. also a nice black Buscadero rig with a silver star or just nice tooling.

anyway, yes, it can be done. but to be any kind of practical you need a belt/holster that you can actually draw from without looking like a spastic modern dance instructor.

no offense to any spastic modern dance instructors on the forum...

moonie

I have a NMBH in 45 Colt with 7 1/2" barrel. I would open carry it in a heartbeat if I had a holster for it. It is one of my latest purchased firearms and I haven't found a holster I like yet.

mobiushky

I'm surprised no one has brought it up, but are we talking something like this?
600px-Batman-JokerRevolver4.JPG
or the infamous Clint Eastwood...

500px-CityHeat_028.jpg

Sorry, thought it was funny.