• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have problems up north?

kos

imported post

I'm new to the forums, and I've been reading it constantly for the last few days. It looks like there are a couple members from my area, Traverse City and I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the police or any stores while open carrying?

taxwhat

imported post

kos wrote:
I'm new to the forums, and I've been reading it constantly for the last few days. It looks like there are a couple members from my area, Traverse City and I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the police or any stores while open carrying?
READ List your open carry experiences here. Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 43
Contribute to our data base

kos

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
kos wrote:

I have been reading it, I'm currently on page 26. But so far I haven't found anything from the area.

taxwhat

imported post

kos wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
kos wrote:

I have been reading it, I'm currently on page 26. But so far I haven't found anything from the area.
Please remember happy Thanksgiving day.

discerningshootist

imported post

Welcome, kos. I'm also new and from TC. Stop on by my store The Discerning Shootist on Woodmere and chat. I'm having a BBQ Dec 6 @ 2pm. We'll have some OC info there. As it stands right now, LE is informed, as I understand it, about OC and there haven't been any problems as of yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

kos

imported post

discerningshootist wrote:
Welcome, kos. I'm also new and from TC. Stop on by my store The Discerning Shootist on Woodmere and chat. I'm having a BBQ Dec 6 @ 2pm. We'll have some OC info there. As it stands right now, LE is informed, as I understand it, about OC and there haven't been any problems as of yet. Keep your fingers crossed.
What are your hours? I'd like to stop by on the 6th, but I'm sure I'll be working untill atleast 5:30pm.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

kos wrote:

I have OCed in TC on a few occasions with zero problems. I even OCed in the Sheriff's office to register a handgun, had several officers walk by me, nothing was said. I was OCing this weekend asls well, went into a couple stores downtown and into Hampels, no worries. You have the law on your side, so give it a try. start with baby steps. Remember you are more aware of the gun on your hip than the majority of the people you walk by.

Know the law, follow the suggestions for interactions with the police and don't OC until you are comfortable with it.

kos

imported post

discerningshootist wrote:
Hours are:
Tues - Thurs 1-5 pm
Fir & Sat 12-7 pm
Sun 12-4 pm

We will be open till 7pm on the grand opening, later if interest/ business warrants it.
I'll most likely be there next Saturday then.

kos

imported post

Venator wrote:
kos wrote:

I have OCed in TC on a few occasions with zero problems. I even OCed in the Sheriff's office to register a handgun, had several officers walk by me, nothing was said. I was OCing this weekend asls well, went into a couple stores downtown and into Hampels, no worries. You have the law on your side, so give it a try. start with baby steps. Remember you are more aware of the gun on your hip than the majority of the people you walk by.

Know the law, follow the suggestions for interactions with the police and don't OC until you are comfortable with it.
Awesome. I'm still reading through the experiences thread to see if there are any from the area.

Did Hampels still have their flag flying upside down? When Obama was elected as president they decided to fly their flag upside down to signal distress. They got a lot of crap over it and had protesters outside for a few days. The local paper went out there to get some info and one of the employees called Obama the N word, then called back to the paper to apologize hoping that they wouldn't print that, but of course they did.

I'm very interested in OC'ing, but my wife is very against it and see's no need. So now my interest in it is starting to cause problems between us, and I'm not really sure how to get her to accept it. I figure that if I can get her to accept it I'll be golden doing it in public.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

kos wrote:
Did Hampels still have their flag flying upside down? When Obama was elected as president they decided to fly their flag upside down to signal distress. They got a lot of crap over it and had protesters outside for a few days. The local paper went out there to get some info and one of the employees called Obama the N word, then called back to the paper to apologize hoping that they wouldn't print that, but of course they did.

I'm very interested in OC'ing, but my wife is very against it and see's no need. So now my interest in it is starting to cause problems between us, and I'm not really sure how to get her to accept it. I figure that if I can get her to accept it I'll be golden doing it in public.

No, the flag is flying correctly. I'm aware of all that crap. I grew up in TC and my Dad had bought every gun we had from Hampels since 1960, I'm not going to turn them over for an employee slip-up. I'm not all that politically correct and believe in free speech.

As for the wife, OC without her first. She may slowly come around. Have her come to the TC BBQ on Saturday if she is reasonable we may be able to change her mind.

kos

imported post

Venator wrote:
kos wrote:

No, the flag is flying correctly. I'm aware of all that crap. I grew up in TC and my Dad had bought every gun we had from Hampels since 1960, I'm not going to turn them over for an employee slip-up. I'm not all that politically correct and believe in free speech.

As for the wife, OC without her first. She may slowly come around. Have her come to the TC BBQ on Saturday if she is reasonable we may be able to change her mind.
I've never shopped there, but I wouldn't not consider them because of it.

I'll be there on Saturday, but it won't be until later in the day around 5:30. A friend of mine was over tonight and we were discussing open carry, he didn't know that it was legal either. He also thinks that I would be arrested on the spot, but they (him and my wife) couldn't give me a reason why. I asked him what he would do if someone walked in to his work with a gun properly holstered on their hip. He said he probably wouldn't question it and would assume the person was law enforcement depending on their dress and demeanor. I told him it would most likely be the same way if I was carrying. I told both of them that it wouldn't be something I would do every chance I got until I have a cpl since it would make things a little easier.

I personally think OC'ing is more convenient than CC'ing, and would work better as a crime deterrent. I'm not a criminal, but if I were and I walked into a party store with the intent to rob it and saw someone standing there with a pistol on their hip I would certainly think twice about going through with the robbery.