• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone heard of "gunslinger law"?

93sr20det

imported post

http://books.google.com/books?id=AkHqQ84kREEC&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=mississippi+gunslinger+law&source=web&ots=b8FORGvko6&sig=UHl-TVO5NSVbh9QEolJ75xr0mEM#PPA28,M1

Anyone heard anything or know anything about the law mentioned in the above book?

From what i can tell it seems the old governor Ken Stribling had something to do with it.  I think that the law was passed around 1990 and revoked a year later.

*update* - tomorrow morning i am going to the local library and getting a copy of the book and i am also going to check out the newspaper archives for anything with this law in it.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Here is what I could find on the subject...

This law is typically referred to as a 'stand your ground' type law. Basically if someone is on your property and you fear bodily harm or a forcible felony, you can shoot them, immune from prosecution.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=5038475&nav=2CSf

Also, this story was from June 15, 2006 --- So I would think this would be a valid law still.... verify this information for youself.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

class="sectiontitle"Jackson 06/15/06
style="font-family: Verdana,Arial; font-size: 14px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"'Gunslinger' Law Greeted Cautiously [align=center]<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.1'>if (document.layers) {document.write('<SCR' + 'IPT language=JavaScript1.1 SRC=/Global/ad.asp?type=single&cls1=News&src1=loc&spct1=100&sz1=wnsz_20&callType=script />'); document.close();}</SCRIPT>coreAdsCreate('wnsz_20', 'loc', '100');
pxl_trans.gif
[/align]

By David Kenney
david@wlbt.net
Two homeowners have shot intruders on their properties this week. One was charged and released. The other faced no charges.
StartingJuly 1 homeowers will have a greater chance of avoiding prosecution in these types of shootings, when a new law goes into effect.
It's being called the 'Gunslinger' or 'Make My Day' law, giving homeowers the right to use defensive force to protect their property, without facing prosecution.
This week, Marcus Yokem was charged with aggravated assault, and released, after shooting a 15 year old, fleeing his property whom he thought was breaking in.
Other Jackson homeowners say they'd do the same.
Ira McDowell says, "I'd wouldn't ever want to kill anybody ifI was in a hurryI might try to wing them in the leg or something."
Jerry Harvey lives on Warner Avenue where another homeowner shot an intruder this week. He wasn't charged because the intruder was actuall inside his bedroom.
The new law would exent the boundaries of where people could shoot and be immune from criminal prosecution. Homeowners will have the right to use defensive force if they fear death or great bodily harm, anywhere on their property, whether it be at home, in a car, business or place of employment.
Jerry Harvey who also lives on Warner streeet says, "These people around here they have pistols and they're ready to shoot if you go in their house or mess with their vehicles, thats it."
Some Jackson residents believe the new law could more citizens to take the law into their own hands, not that they're already having to do so.
Ira McDowell says, "I worked all my life for my home and my cars and things paying all that high insurance then he come one day and tear it up take off with it nothing left to be done."
In both shootings the homeowners told police their homes had been broken into recently.

sjhipple

imported post

"Gunslinger" law??!! :cuss:

The more I read about states where all these supposed "gun nuts" live, the more I think..."You guys don't know what you're missing." I mean, you can't even OC in alot of the southern states (Texas included). And now, they call it a "gun slinger" law? most places call it a "Castle Doctrine" or "stand your ground legislation."

What gives? A false sense of security?

Biloxi Beretta

imported post

93sr20det wrote:
http://books.google.com/books?id=AkHqQ84kREEC&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=mississippi+gunslinger+law&source=web&ots=b8FORGvko6&sig=UHl-TVO5NSVbh9QEolJ75xr0mEM#PPA28,M1

Anyone heard anything or know anything about the law mentioned in the above book?

From what i can tell it seems the old governor Ken Stribling had something to do with it. I think that the law was passed around 1990 and revoked a year later.

*update* - tomorrow morning i am going to the local library and getting a copy of the book and i am also going to check out the newspaper archives for anything with this law in it.

Information posted is off the mark. First of all, Mississippi's constitution was re-written in 1890. The Google post refers to the original constitution. Mississippi's concealed carry law passed in themid 1990's. The Castle Doctrine law did not become law until last year (also called "No Retreat" or "Stand Your Ground"). It is commonly referred to as Senate Bill 2426 and went into effect after July 01, 2006.

The term "gunslinger" is a label used by the liberal media and anti-gun organizations to create a sense of panic among the general population. The idea was to spread fear that allowing carry was to promote a "Wild West" sense of shoot-outs over parking spaces, traffic accidents and other such disagreements.

By the way, Mississippi has never had a governor named Ken Stribling. We had a representative by the name of Ken Stribling (district 66) in the '90's that appears to have a lackluster record as a rep.

sjhipple

imported post

Biloxi Beretta wrote:
The term "gunslinger" is a label used by the liberal media and anti-gun organizations to create a sense of panic among the general population. The idea was to spread fear that allowing carry was to promote a "Wild West" sense of shoot-outs over parking spaces, traffic accidents and other such disagreements.
Well, there's no reason us normal folks have to use such a biased and inaccurate term. The correct term is "stand your ground" legislation.

Biloxi Beretta

imported post

"Information posted is off the mark. First of all, Mississippi's constitution was re-written in 1890. The Google post refers to the original constitution. Mississippi's concealed carry law passed in themid 1990's. The Castle Doctrine law did not become law until last year (also called "No Retreat" or "Stand Your Ground"). It is commonly referred to as Senate Bill 2426 and went into effect after July 01, 2006."

The first paragraph of my original post.