• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone recently applied for a FL Nonresident permit?

thebrotha167

imported post

I just sent off my application for a non resident florida CWP today (12/19/2007). How long, on average amongst everyone here who has applied, has it taken to recieve the permit after mailing? How many have run into issues? Any answers are highly appreciated.

thebrotha167

imported post

LOL, yeah, I know. Its odd how I can get a non resident CWP in Florida, but I am unable to get one in my home state of Maryland. It could be worse, I could live in NJ or NY. Anyhow, thanks for the info. I am squeaky clean, so I guess I'll be having my CWP in Mid Febuary.

Jersey Ron

imported post

no problem! also be aware that there are 4 or 5 states that will not recognize your permit because you are NOT a resident of florida. Michigan, Vermont and Colorado I know for sure.

jersey

dng

State Researcher
imported post

What is the benefit to getting a Florida CCW? Is it cheaper or easier to get? (other than if you cannot get one in your home state)

thebrotha167

imported post

Its the fact that 28 states allow you to carry with a florida non resident permit. Plus its easy to get. Although its not the most cost effective in terms of money or time, it does allow you the opportunity to carry in a maximum number of states. It is a real shame that I cannot get a weapons license in my own state due to the red tape and other B.S.

Jersey Ron

imported post

dngreer, many states like my own, NJ, do not respect the rights of individuals and do NOT issue permits. florida on the other hand is one of a few states that will allow any citizen who has a clean record, and has basic handgun training to receive their permit which is allowed to non-residents in 25 states.

jersey

dng

State Researcher
imported post

If you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge, what's the process, do they require classroom time, etc?

thebrotha167

imported post

The cost is 117, valid for 5 years. You need to be fingerprinted by a law enforcement agency. You do need proof of training, this is pretty easy actually, the hunting safety courses of many states are acceptable. Supposedly, it takes 90 days to process the application. I just sent mine in today, so I'll see how long it actually takes. I took a "safety course" that does all the paper work for you for $85. I hope this helps.

Jersey Ron

imported post

it cost me $117.00 last year. the cost may be different now. thebrotha167 may be able to answer that more efficiently since he just applied today. i was required to complete a 6 hour NRA CERTIFIED class in basic handgun training. 2 b&w photo id's, fingerprints and the loot of course. it was well, well, well worth it!!! i work in Killadelphia and my firearm has deterred many unpleasant circumstances.

jersey

thebrotha167

imported post

This is where I completed my safety course and had the application notarized and fingerprinting completed.
http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/

Since Maryland requires people who wish to purchase regulated firearms to complete a firearms safety course in order to purchase, it can be used, I think there is one case of someone who actually used his firearms safety course certificate from Maryland to apply for the CWP in Florida. I just took the CWP course to avoid delays and to help with the paperwork part of it.

Jersey Ron

imported post

I would say it took no longer than 8 weeks. It didn't seem like a long time because I just mailed it off and just forgot about it and then WHAM! It was in my mail box.

Jersey

Jersey Ron

imported post

NO WAY!!!! Dr. Eimer was my instructor too!!!! Small world!!! Small world. He also did my psych evaluation for my ACT 235 certification. (Needed for carrying when on duty; armed guard, PI, etc.)

Jersey

thebrotha167

imported post

You work in Pa and live in NJ? That's gotta suck in a way. Especially since firearms are highly restricted in NJ, even more so than in MD. You have an FID too?

buketdude

imported post

they cashed my check on oct 3rd...i called last week and they said it was sent out nov 16th...but got returned "address undeliverable"....i verified address..it was right..they sent it again..and it got here yesterday..damn postal service...