• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applying for a NH CCW permit

PT111

imported post

I have a SC CWP and am considering getting a NH permit so that I am covered in Georgia. Looking at the application you need to put three references. I don't have a problem with that but am wondering if they actually contact who you put down as a reference? If they do contact them how can they get the responses back and the permit issued in two weeks, if not why require them?

mvpel

imported post

Just like most gun regulation measures, somebody somewhere thought it was a good idea at the time. Perhaps the State Police, who issue non-resident licenses, only contact references if something other than "no record" comes up on the background check.

yjfunk95

imported post

It is taking NH longer than 2 weeks right now. I sent my application in the first week of July and am still waiting to receive my nonresident permit. I don't know if they actually contact anyone or not. I just put friends down.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

yjfunk95 wrote:
It is taking NH longer than 2 weeks right now. I sent my application in the first week of July and am still waiting to receive my nonresident permit. I don't know if they actually contact anyone or not. I just put friends down.
My understanding is that the 2-week turnaround is a statutory requirement. If they take longer than that, you're entitled to a hearing where the delinquent authority has to answer to the court. This may only apply to residents, but I don't think that is the case.

It is possible that they simply slack on non-resident permits because they doubt you'll come to NH to file your complaint and appear at the hearing.

I'm sure someone from NH can confirm this (or correct me).

mvpel

imported post

That's only for resident licenses, in RSA 159:6. Non-resident licenses are governed by the regulations of the Department of Safety and issued by the State Police.