• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are they creating databases?

cypher2301

Im new to OC and to the site.. But as I read through sooo many of these it occurs to me that the cops often (hold your weapon for their saftey) I wander if they are cataloging who they stopped and what gun (serial #) they had.. like a secret registration against our will.. (I know I know.. conspiracy theorist..) But you have to admit its not that far fetched right??

thoughts??

PALO

Im new to OC and to the site.. But as I read through sooo many of these it occurs to me that the cops often (hold your weapon for their saftey) I wander if they are cataloging who they stopped and what gun (serial #) they had.. like a secret registration against our will.. (I know I know.. conspiracy theorist..) But you have to admit its not that far fetched right??

thoughts??

In retrospect, your post made me realize that I can't recall EVER making a terry stop of a person found to be (granted, many terry stops don't involve a frisk, and of course sometimes a person carrying concealed lets you know, sometimes they don't) carrying concealed or OC. I've had TONS of contacts with persons carrying concealed, as witnesses, victims, etc. etc. but never as the subject of a terry that I can recall. I have had a DUI with a ccw and a handgun, but that's the only suspect I've contacted that was legally carrying a firearm as far as I can remember. Your post made me realize that. I've of course contacted MANY MANY people with illegal guns (convicted felon, etc.) of course and in those cases, the serial # etc. would of course be noted in the report, since the gun was seized.

So, bearing in mind that I;'ve never seized a gun from a lawful carrier for "safety", cops can document stops of course and many would record the serial # in the case they knew it. I just can say it's never come up that I've had to seize a gun from a CCWer (apart from 1 dui), or an OCer.

If the intel is "non criminal", then generally it cannot be shared outside of the police agency. I know many agencies write reports on 'verbal' domestics, which are noncriminal, but they actually take case reports, so not sure if they share those, but the rule is that LEA's cannot share noncriminal intel.

There ARE intel groups where people share info that are NOT law enforcement agencies and thus they do share intel. Some LEOs are members of these NONlaw enforcement intel groups.

If a guy seized your gun and recorded the serial # I assume he would run it to check for stolen. THAT would leave a record in the computer aided dispatch records. I would assume, to answer your question, that many LEO's would write up a field contact report in such circ's and that report could have the serial # in it, if the officer chose to include it. There is nothing preventing him from doing so, but again if the contact was noncriminal in nature, it cannot be shared outside the agency.

Contrary to a lot of TV portrayals, the databases we have aren't the way they appear on TV, like one could easily search for that data, because different agencies often have proprietary report writing programs etc. Otoh, some databases (like Linx) in SOME cases allow text searches of narratives etc. such that that info could be shared outside the agency reporting.

I can just state that no agency I have worked for (3) has any sort of database like you are referring to.

Last edited:

cirrusly

Not far fetched at all. It's only now that the media is uncovering the roots of some of the surveillance and data analytic.

A basic example that is public knowledge is: Automated License Plate Recognition Systems (LPRS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA5Gy32aqdo
And the system demoed in this video was back in 2006. Now they are fairly standard on police cruisers and can "read" (capture and process) several plates a second against the in-car database. The databases are updated through Wi-Fi when the police cars arrive/depart the station.

stealthyeliminator

No. The databases have been created. Now they are just maintaining and improving them.

Edit: I speak of illegal cataloging of information, by the government, in general. whether or not 'police' are recording information discretely from stops and compiling that data, I'm sure would need to be answered on a case by case or department by department basis

Last edited:

mikeyb

thoughts??

IIRC, the '68 Firearms Act (or was it the '34?) specifically prohibits the AG (and agencies under their charge) of the federal government from maintaining a database. States, on the other hand, can do what they will. WA state does have a registry. What's hilarious (sarcasm) is on the DOL site the FAQs include "Do you have to register your firearms in WA? No." 'Cause they do it for you when you buy one at FFL dealers!

Black_water

There were stories a few months back about at least one state that was keeping all the NICS type data in its own database.

I don't think they are "creating" databases, I think they have them and just sit on them for use later. The reason I believe this is:

1. It's human nature.
2. The Patriot act seems to allow .gov to do things like read your email, enter your house etc THEN when something is found get a warrant to prove it.

If you trust .gov, you will come out on the losing end.

Adam Cook

thoughts??

I'll tell you right now that the safest place for my (no external safety) Glock 23 is in my Serpa; right where I put it. I have refused disarmament twice and the LEO's did not make an issue out of it.
When asked if it's ok for them to disarm me I say, "No, that's a Glock, it has no external safety. I'd rather you don't unholster my firearm with these people around. If you want to run the serial # you can see it stamped into the barrel while it's still holstered. If you insist on disarming me, I do not consent to any searches or seizures of myself or my private property and I want you to get a supervisor on scene."