• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are we allowed by board rules to petition a member be banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger Johnson

I'd like to get permission from the board owners to petition or vote ban a particular user.

I believe we ALL know to whom I'm referring.

If it's within board rules, I'd like to put it to a member vote.

I'd say we'd only do it if there was a vast majority, because censuring a person doesn't change their attitude. Some people seem to be beyond that point, though.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
While I know who you are referring to, I am not sure a vote is the best idea. We should perhaps PM the appropriate people and if several people PM then that should do the trick.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

OK. I know we have a few good members who are already thinking of abandoning this site because of that person.

It'd be different if they weren't so strident in their support of the bad activity in question, but I see no chance of change or repentance and frankly the attitude sickens me having been the subject of rather severe abuse, myself.

Whom do we PM?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
OK. I know we have a few good members who are already thinking of abandoning this site because of that person.

It'd be different if they weren't so strident in their support of the bad activity in question, but I see no chance of change or repentance and frankly the attitude sickens me having been the subject of rather severe abuse, myself.

Whom do we PM?

John (Administrator) or Grapeshot or Mike would be the choices that come to mind. You can also use the report function to report specific posts. One might also PM the member they disagree with to try to come to a reasonable resolution. (This is what I have done.) If there is a problem with another member I feel it is best dealt with behind closed doors. Note, I am giving this advice in general and it is not specific to another member. The same goes for my first post.

Last edited:

09jisaac

If you are talking about the future man with archaic views, I don't think his views are right but I don't see how banning him will help anything. If we just ignore or get rid of those that we don't agree with then we would be left with just replicas of ourselfs. He has a different viewpoint that enrages you but sweeping him under the rug will do nothing. And trying to talk sense into anyone who has their believes set (don't we all, if we thought we were wrong we wouldn't think that way, would we?) will do you no good either.

Just my opinion.

Badger Johnson

There are a few members who have talked to me in support of this banning. When a member is just spreading poison and so heinous in their views that some good members are talking about leaving the board it elevates it above the level of the 'ignore' function sometimes.

However, if we all put that member on ignore it's essentially a ban. Probably the best way to go. I don't support people being stifled, but I guess this member got my goat the other day.

1245A Defender

Huh???

I'd like to get permission from the board owners to petition or vote ban a particular user.

I believe we ALL know to whom I'm referring.

If it's within board rules, I'd like to put it to a member vote.

I'd say we'd only do it if there was a vast majority, because censuring a person doesn't change their attitude. Some people seem to be beyond that point, though.

I dont believe we all know to whom you are referring...
In fact I have absolutely NO idea to whom you are referring.
Maybe you should let us all in on this.
You could PM me if its a secret that everybody knows about, but nobody wants to admitt.

09jisaac

You hear about that judge beating his kid? There is a video of it on youtube.

There is also a discussion about it (subtle hint).

Back to topic, I don't think that we need to escalate this any further. I have had words with him too. I see what he is arguing, and it seems like he's arguing to limit the government (wouldn't we all like smaller government?). So, even though I don't side with him, I can see where he is coming from. The government has its hands in things that is none of their business already, and its easy to see how thats turning out. But like someone said (paraphrased) "Child abuse is not the field you want to champion your small government argument in."

PistolPackingMomma

Not that the opinion of a nooblet like myself will matter much to the veterans of this forum, but I still feel like adding my two cents.

I don't support banning a person for a difference of opinion. If s/he got your goat, then that is really on you for letting it get to you. If more senior members are threatening to leave because they can't stomach this individual anymore, then they can tolerate it or leave. But banning one person to satisfy a select group of others, just doesn't seem in line with our love for liberty. What ever happened to "I may not like what he says, but I'll defend to the death his right to say it"? (and yes, I realized this is a private website, and 1st A rights don't necessarily apply, but still...)

Unless the entire community of members wanted to ban this person (I thought it was someone else, tbh) then the ignore function should work just fine.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Not that the opinion of a nooblet like myself will matter much to the veterans of this forum, but I still feel like adding my two cents.

I don't support banning a person for a difference of opinion. If s/he got your goat, then that is really on you for letting it get to you. If more senior members are threatening to leave because they can't stomach this individual anymore, then they can tolerate it or leave. But banning one person to satisfy a select group of others, just doesn't seem in line with our love for liberty. What ever happened to "I may not like what he says, but I'll defend to the death his right to say it"? (and yes, I realized this is a private website, and 1st A rights don't necessarily apply, but still...)

Unless the entire community of members wanted to ban this person (I thought it was someone else, tbh) then the ignore function should work just fine.

After skimming the above referenced thread (& realizing who we are talking about), I have to agree with 09jisaac & PistolPackingMomma. People need to not be so thin-skinned when encountering a view contrary to their own. While I do not agree with You-know-who, I'm not about to "leave" the site because of his controversial postings. Every forum (especially gun forums) will periodically have a user with controversial views to be cussed and discussed. Welcome to the internet :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Badger Johnson

I'm going to ask the admin to lock this thread. He's already had a comment to the person in question. The ignore feature works fine. My concern was having members whom I like reading talking about leaving the forum more than limiting free speech.

If everyone votes with their ignore feature, then 'the Council has spoken', heh.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I'm going to ask the admin to lock this thread. He's already had a comment to the person in question. The ignore feature works fine. My concern was having members whom I like reading talking about leaving the forum more than limiting free speech.

If everyone votes with their ignore feature, then 'the Council has spoken', heh.

Sounds good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.