• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are You Kidding Me??

Colorado Luckydog

imported post

I just went into 2 different very crowded stores. I was in one very busysmall liqour store for about 5 minutes. I was in another very very busy grocery store for about 10-12 minutes. This time I was carrying my S&W 9mm which is of decent size. As far as I could tell, not one soul noticed that I was carrying!!

I'm brand new with this open carry thing. I just started a few days ago.(I've carriedconcealed for years)It seems with each open carry my nerves settle a little more. I'm amazed how alert it makes me. People are so consumed with whatever they are doing, it seems BG's would have a big number of easy targets.I can't seea BG choosing an alert armed man (or his family) for his next target?
:D

Bryan

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Oh, yes. It's quite common.

You'd be amazed how many people don't notice. People walk around in a constant condition white.

Welcome to OC!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yep, OC'ing for the first few times can be a bit un-nerving, not knowing what to expect.

Some of the people in thestores may have noticed, but just didn't react. Often times I see cashiers glance at my sidearm while they ring up my purchases, without any more reaction than if it was an oily spot on my clothing. Other customers in Walmart may glance at it, but don't seem to be concerned at all.

Don't be surprised if folks don't seem to notice you are armed, because they don't react, be happy about it, because that's what we are wanting anyway. It means that they are accepting of OC.

There may come a day when someone actually "thanks" you for being armed, and providing a defense against possible harm. It has happened to me and it took me totally by surprise.

Michigander

imported post

In both Michigan and Arizona, the most common reaction I have got is having someone ask "hey what kind of gun is that?" Anything else has proven exceptionally rare.

GWbiker

imported post

Michigander wrote:
In both Michigan and Arizona, the most common reaction I have got is having someone ask "hey what kind of gun is that?" Anything else has proven exceptionally rare.
Same reaction I get in Tucson. Local LEO's might also ask how reliable is the gun, accuracy, where to find reasonably priced ammo, etc....

BhmBill

imported post

I've only been "confronted" twice. Worker at the DMV tried telling me I couldn't carry there, which I can. And a worker at Wal-Mart asked me to pull my shirt over the gun, I told her it was a felony for me to do so because I didnt have a CCW.

That's about it. People usually don't even notice, occaisionally I see them try to sneak peeks at it, but turn away if I notice them looking.

Had a older lady at wal-mart tonight try to call her boss, whispering into her radio to tell him that I had a gun. She whispered and didn't turn the volume on her radio down, and I could hear a loud "HUH? WHO HAS A GUN?" come back through over her radio (i was maybe 3 - 4 yards away)

I was there about another 10 - 15 mins and no one ever approached me.

OC'in has been alot of fun thus far. I can't believe how much safer I feel now with a gun on my hip instead of just a 3.5" knife blade.

Statesman

imported post

BhmBill wrote:
I've only been "confronted" twice. Worker at the DMV tried telling me I couldn't carry there, which I can. And a worker at Wal-Mart asked me to pull my shirt over the gun, I told her it was a felony for me to do so because I didnt have a CCW.

That's about it. People usually don't even notice, occaisionally I see them try to sneak peeks at it, but turn away if I notice them looking.

Had a older lady at wal-mart tonight try to call her boss, whispering into her radio to tell him that I had a gun. She whispered and didn't turn the volume on her radio down, and I could hear a loud "HUH? WHO HAS A GUN?" come back through over her radio (i was maybe 3 - 4 yards away)

OC'in has been alot of fun thus far. I can't believe how much safer I feel now with a gun on my hip instead of just a 3.5" knife blade.

What is it with Wal-Marts? Many of their employees seem to be either anti-gun, gun ignorant, or have unwarranted fears of a holstered firearm. These people seem to migrate to Wal-Mart.

Spongebob

imported post

I believe that in WI where I live, carry is prohibited in liquor stores. Am I Wrong?
I know you can't take them into stores that sell alcohol for "consumption on premises"

Spongebob

imported post

Colorado Luckydog wrote:
This time I was carrying my S&W 9mm which is of decent size. As far as I could tell, not one soul noticed that I was carrying!!

You should make a habit of always carrying the same gun, in the same holster, in the same place, if it is for defensive purposes. Memorize the draw. If you have one second to react, and you reach for a gun that isn't there, you now have a quarter second to react.

I always carry the same gun (9mm cobra), EXCEPT when I am called upon to "dress up".
If I'm going to wear nice pants, a dress shirt, and tie, I switch to my "dress carry".
(colt python) I carry it in the same spot, in a similar holster, and believe me, I wouldn't be able to draw it like a could my 9. I don't want to practice too much drawing the python, because then I will just be more confused.

-Sponge(bob)

BhmBill

imported post

Statesman wrote:
BhmBill wrote:

What is it with Wal-Marts? Many of their employees seem to be either anti-gun, gun ignorant, or have unwarranted fears of a holstered firearm. These people seem to migrate to Wal-Mart.
I'm just gonna quote what I said from another post...

Tonight (Apr. 29th, last night) at the Wal-Mart on Rainbow and Cheyenne. My 7.5 month pregnant girlfriend was getting bathing suits for her 2 kids (4 and 10). They were all in the dressing rooms tryin out bathing suits and I was waiting outside the rooms, just standin there, waitin, mindin my own business. I could hear the elderly woman who was maintaining the dressing rooms make a call to someone in the store, I didn't really hear her and ignored it. A few seconds later I hear a man come through on her phone intercom or walkie talkie say "WHAT? WHO HAS A GUN?", the old woman tried whispering into the phone/radio again, this time I heard her say "This man here has a gun!", and the loud booming voice came through again, "HUH? SOMEONE HAS A GUN? CALL ME ON *inaudible* FREQUENCY" (or something to that effect). I ignored it, my gf and her kids came out of the dressing rooms, and I walked over to the sporting goods to check out the ammo they had while my GF looked at some baby clothes then walked to the checkout, the guy over there at SG didn't care when he saw the gun. I bought some .22 minimags (my marlin 60 loves that sh*t) and headed to the front.

My GF heard the lady at the dressing rooms trying to make the call all quiet and was just laughing about it.

I was in the store probably another 10 - 15 mins after I heard her makin the call, no security or anyone approached me or anything.

Sheriff

imported post

When openly carrying a firearm, most people assume you are an off duty or plain clothes cop. This is the reason you have people acting as if they haven't noticed or care about you having a firearm.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
When openly carrying a firearm, most people assume you are an off duty or plain clothes cop. This is the reason you have people acting as if they haven't noticed or care about you having a firearm.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ever pass as LEO. My hair is too long and in winter I grow a full beard to keep my face warm, as I work outside all the time.

Overtaxed

imported post

Tess wrote:
Oh, yes. It's quite common.

You'd be amazed how many people don't notice. People walk around in a constant condition white.

Welcome to OC!
Since becoming aware of open carry I pay close attention to that sort of thing... I also look closely at what's in people's hands - something I picked up from a rather interesting passage in Bowden's Blackhawk down.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
When I'm carrying a firearm... people wonder whereI've parked my horse.

CharlesC

imported post

Most people don't care. Only "good guys" open carry. If you had it tucked in your waistband it may be a different story!

I did notice that many shop keepers talk to me more and say Hi all the time now that I OC.

Jizzzle

imported post

I just did an adopt a highway with my squadron. We where all in civies. I was the only one OCing and about 10 of the 18 openly admitted that they didn't realize I had a gun on me until someone else pointed it out. Oblivious. Lol. Oh well. Other than that it went good.

Sheriff

imported post

Jizzzle wrote:
.....about 10 of the 18 openly admitted that they didn't realize I had a gun on me until someone else pointed it out.

The same 10 probably didn't realize somemotorists passing by probably thought it was some type ofcourt ordered community service, with you as an agent of some type for the court while supervising their movements. :lol:

The public is not accustomed to seeing firearms openly carried in public. When they do see it, they assume the carrier is law enforcement related.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Jizzzle wrote:
.....about 10 of the 18 openly admitted that they didn't realize I had a gun on me until someone else pointed it out.

The same 10 probably didn't realize somemotorists passing by probably thought it was some type ofcourt ordered community service, with you as an agent of some type for the court while supervising their movements. :lol:

The public is not accustomed to seeing firearms openly carried in public. When they do see it, they assume the carrier is law enforcement related.
In a small way, we are law enforcement related. In every state there are laws forbiding murder, assault, and robbery. By being openly armed, we are letting the BG's know that violation of those laws will not be tolerated.

Riana

imported post

CharlesC wrote:
Most people don't care. Only "good guys" open carry. If you had it tucked in your waistband it may be a different story!

I did notice that many shop keepers talk to me more and say Hi all the time now that I OC.
Not necessarily. I carry IWB and I've only had a couple of people notice, and no negative comments. And there's no way I'd be mistaken for a cop (beingshort and somewhat Rubenesque) :dude:

I've come to the conclusion that most people are just oblivious, and won't see someone carrying unless that person is waving the gun around.

YllwFvr

imported post

Riana wrote:
CharlesC wrote:

Not necessarily. I carry IWB and I've only had a couple of people notice, and no negative comments. And there's no way I'd be mistaken for a cop (beingshort and somewhat Rubenesque) :dude:

I've come to the conclusion that most people are just oblivious, and won't see someone carrying unless that person is waving the gun around.
I get noticed just about every time. I cant think of a single place ive gone into that someone hasnt. It tends to blend too with dark shirt and blue jeans the norm for my dress.

Maybe it has something to do with all the tattoos and the reversed hat. Either way I see:what:all day every day.

To go with the WalMart problem going on I stopped in Tunkhannok Pa and asked for shotgun ammo at the local "SUPER". The elderly guy behind the sporting goodscounter just gave me the dead eye. After a second time asking he just silently pointed at it, watched me browse, then without a word took my money and bagged it up. With lots and lots of stone facewhile he was taking my plastic.

I thanked him, he didnt say a word, but the employee next to him gave me a cherubic smile and said "Good Evening Sir!".