• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed assailant had his eye on Hummer, not on victim's gun

sultan62

I wonder if anything would have happened had he been OCing?

Granted, he didn't have that option.

Rottie

Training, Training, Training.

Glad to see the man got to his gun. Sad to see he couldn't hit his assailant after 10 minutes of shooting. I am a huge proponent of the right to self defense but carrying a gun doesn't mean you are prepared to defend yourself. I say if you can't afford to shoot a box of ammo a month or get formal training in firearms handling, you really should consider wether you should carry at all. All in all the victim and two cars were shot, assailant gets away. Glad the victim survived and the gun probably did help save his life.

Mech

Due to my crappy internet connection in Taiwan, I can't really watch the video. However, did they mention of the assailant had a CPL? Notice in the article it reads "That's when he pulled out his own gun in order to protect himself. As it turned out, that shopper is also a licensed concealed handgun carrier."

The wording makes it sound like the assailant had a CPL, and I can easily see the Anti's using this to say CPL holders are more prone to committing crimes >.<

SlackwareRobert

Didn't hear in the story or in the text who shot the cars? Could it be the BG shot both the cars and the victim?

Where is the outrage over the man having a two tone gun, everyone knows they are more dangerous. Why did he leave it on the ground for children to find, he should be shot for that. Oh, he was. Drives a Humvee, it was self defense he was killing the entire planet. I think anyone who can fill that thing with gas can afford bullets by the pallet load, so probably some fear of being labeled a racist caused him to pull his shots not practice.

A sporting goods store, and not one employee grabs a bushmaster and comes to the aid of a customer. Just think of the extra you can charge for a rifle with documented proof it stops bad guys.

Jack House

I say if you can't afford to shoot a box of ammo a month or get formal training in firearms handling, you really should consider wether you should carry at all.
Is that either or or and? Also remember, being a good shot at the range doesn't mean you're going to be a good shot in a shootout.

Rottie

Training, Training, Training

Is that either or or and? Also remember, being a good shot at the range doesn't mean you're going to be a good shot in a shootout.

Preferably both, however that would probably exceed the budgets of most. Of course shooting at the range doesn't necessarily translate into perfect gunfighting skills, but it sure beats the heck out of no training or few and far between range sessions. Most people I know of that go to the range monthly soon find that they are beyond just shooting holes in paper and begin to incorporate other skills such as drawing and firing, and depending on the range moving and firing. My sugestion is get formal training, and then follow it up with at least monthly training sessions, so that in the event you are ever in a 10 minute shoot out you can hit your target before you run out of ammo.

Phoenix David

Glad to see the man got to his gun. Sad to see he couldn't hit his assailant after 10 minutes of shooting. I am a huge proponent of the right to self defense but carrying a gun doesn't mean you are prepared to defend yourself. I say if you can't afford to shoot a box of ammo a month or get formal training in firearms handling, you really should consider wether you should carry at all. All in all the victim and two cars were shot, assailant gets away. Glad the victim survived and the gun probably did help save his life.

You hit the nail on the head, you have to practice, practice, practice then practice some more. But you need to know what your doing before you can practice, training classes are a must you can't pick it up by osmosis from TV

When the SHTF your only going to be half as good as your worst practice day

simmonsjoe

I have to say...

You don't absolutely have to hit your attacker to be effective. Obviously that is the goal, and the safest bet, but simply keeping things at a draw, or keeping your attackers head down, is better than nothing at all.

Do the best you can with what you have.

Please note I am not condoning warning shots, or aim to wing 'em shots. That is bad practice and not what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

buster81

Due to my crappy internet connection in Taiwan, I can't really watch the video. However, did they mention of the assailant had a CPL? Notice in the article it reads "That's when he pulled out his own gun in order to protect himself. As it turned out, that shopper is also a licensed concealed handgun carrier."

The wording makes it sound like the assailant had a CPL, and I can easily see the Anti's using this to say CPL holders are more prone to committing crimes >.<

It was the victim (who was doing the shopping) that had the license, not the assilant.

USMC1986

Stress fire is much needed for that victim. Actually I'd recommend anyone who carries a gun for self defense to fire under-stress. I've been to numerous stress fire ranges in the Marines and I'll tell you, they do work.

Stress firing makes you more accurate. Also incorporate reloads, muzzle awareness and failure to fire drills. All of this will help with your muscle memory for how you handle your weapon under stress, which is very important.

Most of all, know what's behind your target. I don't think this guy would be feeling to good about himself if he were to accidentally shoot another victim because he couldn't properly connect his shots with the BG.

simmonsjoe

+1

Stress fire is much needed for that victim. Actually I'd recommend anyone who carries a gun for self defense to fire under-stress. I've been to numerous stress fire ranges in the Marines and I'll tell you, they do work.

Stress firing makes you more accurate. Also incorporate reloads, muzzle awareness and failure to fire drills. All of this will help with your muscle memory for how you handle your weapon under stress, which is very important.

Most of all, know what's behind your target. I don't think this guy would be feeling to good about himself if he were to accidentally shoot another victim because he couldn't properly connect his shots with the BG.
Why I recommend IDPA at a minimum. I'll be going to my first 3gun match next month. If there were space somewhere, I wouldn't mind getting a run n' gun group together, say once every two months. Something similar to Nutnfancy's Sledgehammer videos.

Packer fan

Again, we don't know who hit the cars. We don't know if the BG shot the GG before he was able to clear his firearm from under concealed. We don't know how many shots either one of them took in the ten minutes. They were dodging in and out of cars and even a BG can get a lucky shot. It may be that the Good guy never shot because he didn't have a clear sight.

It's easy to play armchair quarterback.

Does one need to practice; yes, but not ever situation is going to turn out like the movies GG stands over BG's body.

The thing is that the BG will learn form this and be that much smarter the next time.

Last edited:

SlackwareRobert

It was probably 10 minutes for the "Top Shot's" to hit their targets on the first episode, and they weren't being shot at, and are 'best in country'.

As for stress practice, nice large gassed range, if you can hit targets while your eyes are on fire, lungs hacking out, puking your lunch, and burning itch on your skin you should be ready to fire, duck, cover and fire. Humvee, you should be rolling under it on the draw and shooting out ankles till you exit the other side.

They are building a live fire computer simulator down here, I think it is a way to steal my money and get me late for dinner. But I will be gullible and give it a try. Hope they have the MIB mods so I can get the dangerous 'little girl' with the physics books.

I will have to give him a +1 though, I get a round in me, I would be very hard pressed not to take out the car and occupants, the h*ll with they were no longer a threat. I hope I can show that much restraint. To ignore a bullet hole is going to mean bypassing lots of brain activity so you can deal with the threat first, and blind rage is a good suppressor, unfortunately it does also interfere with judgment.

Haz.

Car jackings are common place in Australia where guns have been banned by the Howard Coalition government. Criminals down under think they have died and gone to Crim-heaven. Anything goes here.