• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed Home Invasion - 43rd Street & Colley

nova

imported post

This is why I switched from a revolver to a "standard capacity" semi auto. 4 armed intruders? I feel better knowing that I can afford 4 shots each with one to spare vs. 2 for 2 and 1 each for the other 2. If it came to that of course.

t33j

imported post

I just keep the shotgun loaded under the mattress for this reason. I'll bet I could take out more than one per shot. If I'm not close enough to it, I always have the pistol on my hip.

ElW75

imported post

Oh No :what: Why are you keeping a loaded gun for self defense? Didn't the locals educate you that you should have quadruple deadbolts and the local police on speed dial! (massive amount of sarcasm)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

t33j wrote:
I just keep the shotgun loaded under the mattress for this reason. I'll bet I could take out more than one per shot. If I'm not close enough to it, I always have the pistol on my hip.
.730 DDR

Always use enough gun!:lol:

b1-3.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nova, t33j and the rest of you - just how quickly will you be able to access your firearm and repel boarders?

Home invasions put you way behind the reaction curve, and having to scramble for your weapon eats up even more time you probably don't have.

Personally, I think this is another good reason to promote the idea of your HD device being on/at your side. Sitting in the Barcalounger with a shotgun on yout lap may look strange, but if the door comes flying off the hinges you really won't care, will you?

stay safe.

t33j

imported post

peter nap wrote:
t33j wrote:
.730 DDR

Always use enough gun!:lol:
wow!
...and to think I was considering the switch to 2 3/4" 00 instead of 3" 00

conhntr

imported post

My 870 only holds 9 rounds that's only 2per and 1 left over! Seriously though on the reaction time comment I completely agree. Try a Chinese fire drill (have your wife do one random or wait to hear the words "bp" on tv). How long did it take you to get you gun into a firing position?

My personal answer wouldn't work in a home but my 3rd floor apt only has 1 realistic entrance (i still worry about ninjas repelling or a wall breach). I arranged my furniture so my sofa is long ways just out of the arc of the in-opening door. Every time I come in the door is locked and the sofa is slid back a few inches which I believe (can't test) will make a door breach a multiple hit or hit-push affair which gives me a few extra seconds

gis

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Nova, t33j and the rest of you - just how quickly will you be able to access your firearm and repel boarders?

Home invasions put you way behind the reaction curve, and having to scramble for your weapon eats up even more time you probably don't have.

Personally, I think this is another good reason to promote the idea of your HD device being on/at your side. Sitting in the Barcalounger with a shotgun on yout lap may look strange, but if the door comes flying off the hinges you really won't care, will you?

stay safe.

Shotgun or not, if the first time you find out about the armed intruders is when your door flies open, you've already got one strike against you. That's why good locks, alarms, and dogs are important. They are good early warning devices.

It's really hard to spend all your waking hours in condition yellow. Sometimes you need to go into white in order to relax. But what you need in that situation is the capability to get into yellow/red quickly. In one of his last interviews Jeff Cooper talked about how his house is set up in order for him to wake up if there is an intruder during the night.

If you want to walk around your house with a shotgun, more power to you. :) I have my weapons strategically positioned around the house/vehicles, so I can get to them very quickly, and I rely on several "early detection" measures to let me know when I should go get one.

I should be able to get to a hot firearm in 3-5 seconds anywhere in the house, but I expect to have much more warning than that for your run-of-the mill scumbags. If black helicopters come, that's a totally different game. :lol:

nova

imported post

skidmark wrote:

stay safe.
my EDC stays on me at all times, so I'd say in under a second. My 12ga is there if I'm in that particular room, or for another family member to use if necessary.

2a4all

imported post

I agree with Skidmark. The perp picks the time and place, and will almost always have the element of surprise.

Put your gun on when you get dressed for the day, and don't take it off until you go to bed. Then keep it handy.

45acpForMe

imported post

2a4all wrote:
I agree with Skidmark. The perp picks the time and place, and will almost always have the element of surprise.

Put your gun on when you get dressed for the day, and don't take it off until you go to bed. Then keep it handy.
+1

darthmord

imported post

2a4all wrote:

I do this myself. My kids asked a while back why and I told them "What good does it do me if my gun is by my bed or on my dresser ad a bad guy breaks in while I'm in the living room?"

Their answer: "Good point Dad."

Though at the end of the day, I do take it off and sit it next to me on the end table beside my chair. Only way to get it is through me.

2a4all

imported post

darthmord wrote:
2a4all wrote:

I do this myself. My kids asked a while back why and I told them "What good does it do me if my gun is by my bed or on my dresser ad a bad guy breaks in while I'm in the living room?"

Their answer: "Good point Dad."

Though at the end of the day, I do take it off and sit it next to me on the end table beside my chair. Only way to get it is through me.
While I'm sure your "faithful companion" appreciates this respite from its long duty day, aren't you concerned that it might get overly excited during those "cop shows" on TV and jump up and discharge itself?

I know your kids are well-behaved, but guns are different animals...

NovaCop

imported post

There are a lot of products out there that can conceal handguns that you can place around your house (wall clock/dictionary/floor safe/etc). If you have children however, this will complicate what might be appropriate to leave around the house. Guess it all depends on how large your house is, and the dangerousness of the area you live in.

Keeping a gun on your hip all day/night while relaxing in your own house might be too much discomfort for most people. I carry a gun (and 20 lbs of equipment on me during my work shift), and the first thing I do when I get home is shed it all off. It might be wise to strengthen the borders of your house that would give you adequate time to retrieve a firearm if a home invasion is in the works. Steel doors with multiple locks, windows with bars, motion lights, security systems, posted signs, thorn bushes around windows, etc. That might ensure a more comfortable and safe environment for you inside your home.

TFred

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
And I'm supposed to send my BABY to school there in the Fall????

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

And I really hate to post this.... but you're supposed to send her there unarmed as well!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I know she's supposed to be unarmed as well... She wants to stay off campus so she CAN carry. Unfortunately, she's only 19 and can't even CC for another 2 years.

We've taken several trips down there. I showed her where I went to Elementary School (J.E.B. Stuart @ 38thSt. and Lewellyn) right in the middle of the "combat zone". She'll be taking more self defense classes and being as well-armed and prepared as she legally canunder the circumstances...