• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

As a CCW permit holder, is a car holster legal?

xm_jdm

The topic really says it all. I have looked online and i am having a hard time coming to a conclusion here. I have an Alien Gear IWB holster and carry every where I go. With that said, I have a Hx of lower lumbar back pain and when getting in my vehicle, carrying my weapon tends to cause me minor discomfort.

Recently, Alien Gear announced their Cloak DOCK mounting solution (can be used in cars, homes, you name it really). It's a mount that securely holds their OWB holster with paddle attachment for seamless transitioning. Since I own an Alien Gear OWB holster too, I went ahead and bought this mount and installed it in my car. It's been perfect for me as now I unholster my weapon and place it in the mounting solution when driving. And when I get to my destination, I holster back up in my IWB.

Am I breaking any laws with this? Obviously if I were to be pulled over, the first and immediate thing I would do is identify that I am carrying and the location of said weapon.
6fe5b7d84dd1b4b3966f4de79ab15b9f.jpg
Since implementing it, it's been such a nice break on my back. I've included a picture for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A hearty welcome to OCDO!

"Oregon has no prohibition on carrying loaded handguns in your car. But the state DOES allow localities to restrict loaded carry of firearms “in public places” which, oddly enough, includes your car."

"If you are in a place like Portland or Oregon City that restricts loaded carry by people who do not have concealed handgun licenses, you may not have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Furthermore, if it is a handgun, it must be carried openly or “not readily accessible.” That means if you have a trunk it must be there. If you don’t, it can be in a locked glove-box, center console or other locked container and if the container is opened by key, the key cannot be in the container."

"Long guns do not have to be “not readily accessible” but if you don’t have a concealed handgun license and you are in a locality that restricts loaded carry it must be unloaded."
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq

Looks to me like you are good to go. :)

Last edited:

xm_jdm

Thanks so much. I read snippets of that and thought so too. Glad to see that it looks like I am in the clear.

Thanks! And thanks for the welcome. Lots of helpful info here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk