• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave TD Bank & Police Called

sirfarmer

imported post

Just thought I would share my open carry story today. I am licensed in many states to carry and conceal carry. I work at a resort in the lakes region of New Hampshire and part of my duties include taking the business deposits to the bank. I frequent two banks in town - Ocean Bank & TD Bank. I have been visiting both banks with large cash deposits for several months now - openly carrying (holstered and secured) my Beretta PX4.

When I arrived at TD Bank in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire I went about my business. The bank was empty except for tellers and managers. I had a friendly conversation with the teller as she counted the money and completed the deposit.

The bank manager, Cecile Chase, tapped me on my back. I was a little shocked that she had crept up behind me but was not too alarmed. She yelled out that I was not allowed to carry a gun into the bank. She also barked out that I was breaking federal law because (brining a gun into the bank). I calmly introduced myself formally and explained I was making large cash deposits. I explained the gun was for my safety and I was no different than armed couriers in this state. She again reiterated that I was breaking the law and said the next time I would be arrested. I again informed her that I was licensed to carry in this and many other states and frequently carry into her bank and other banks in the area. She was unphased and said the police had been called. I thanked her for her time and asked for her business card, which she provided, when I left.

I waited outside for ten minutes but the police did not arrive. I decided to head over to the police station. I secured my Beretta in the vehicle and asked to speak to the Chief of Police. I spoke with a detective and the chief at length, and while there are no local nor federal provisions prohibiting it, he suggested I do a better job of "concealing" my gun. He also said TD Bank is a private business and can refuse service to anyone. He affirmed that I would not be arrested unless they cited me for some sort of trespassing complaint, though I doubt it will go that far.

Should you wish to contact Ceclia Chase about her no-gun policy in her bank, her contact details are below:

Cecile M. Chase
Vice President - Banking Center Manager
36 Center Street
Wolfeboro Falls, New Hampshire 03896
Bank Telephone: 603-569-8999
Bank Fax: 603-569-4453
Her Direct: 603-569-8996
Email: Cecile.Chase@tdbanknorth.com

I hope others will help me speak out about this. She said I would be receiving a letter from TD Bank security operations outlining the incident. If/when I receive I will post a summary here.

Regards,

Chris

Jeremy2141

imported post

I'm a TD Banknorth customer and I will be calling them first thing tommorrow. If their policy is to kick armed citizens out of their bank, I will be closing my account tommorrow night. I will also ask if each bank is allowed to set policy on this subject.

I just sent an e-mail to them asking about the policy.

I'll let you know if I get a responce soon.

sirfarmer

imported post

Needless to say, I'm quite upset. Their reason was there was a bank robbery over two years ago. I questioned them how I am any different from an armed courier or armored car service. She had no reply.

I am composing a letter to their corporate office, but I am hoping to rally some local support so she understands the consequences of her actions.

I will recommend we move our business accounts elsewhere if I do not receive a satisfactory response.

Thanks!

GoldCoaster

imported post

As you should, she must be a transplant to New Hampshire because she's not really taking the "Live free or die" to heart.. her version is "Live free except if you have a gun, in which case I'll wet myself and lose business in my branch - or die"

Interested to hear the outcomes from both of you.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Be sure to point out that she proved she knew you weren't dangerous by being so confrontational and trying to publicly embarrass you by being loud.

I mightphrase it as a question--is it bank policy to be excessively rude to depositors, and to try to embarrass depositors in this fashion? As compared to politely asking them aside and talking to them. Again, she can't possibly claim she was afraid of you.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

She can tell you to leave that much is true. But as for you breaking federal law by carrying in a bank she is full of shit.

Title 18, United States Code, Section 930 prohibits firearms (and also knives with blades longer than 2-1/2 inches) in federal “facilities,” meaning buildings — and that includes post offices.

Title 18, United State Code, Section 922, paragraph (q) is the Gun Free School Zones Act. You can’t have a gun in, on the grounds of, or within 1,000 feet of the property line of, an elementary or secondary school, whether public or private. (Note that this doesn’t include colleges or universities.)

Are the only Federal laws on carrying. As for state laws.

159:19 Courthouse Security. –
I. No person shall knowingly carry a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver, or firearm or any other deadly weapon as defined in RSA 625:11, V, whether open or concealed or whether licensed or unlicensed, upon the person or within any of the person's possessions owned or within the person's control in a courtroom or area used by a court. Whoever violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a class B felony.
II. Firearms may be secured at the entrance to a courthouse by courthouse security personnel.
III. For purposes of paragraph I, ""area used by a court'' means:
(a) In a building dedicated exclusively to court use, the entire building exclusive of the area between the entrance and the courthouse security.
(b) In any other building which includes a court facility, courtrooms, jury assembly rooms, deliberation rooms, conference and interview rooms, the judge's chambers, other court staff facilities, holding facilities, and corridors, stairways, waiting areas, and elevators directly connecting these rooms and facilities.
IV. The provisions of this section shall not apply to marshals, sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, police or other duly appointed or elected law enforcement officers, bailiffs and court security officers, or persons with prior authorization of the court for the purpose of introducing weapons into evidence and as otherwise provided for in RSA 159:5.
V. It shall be an affirmative defense to any prosecution under paragraph I that there was no notice of the provisions of paragraph I posted in a conspicuous place at each public entrance to the court building. Source. 1985, 258:2. 2000, 175:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2001.

But I'm sure you already know all the laws. I would print them off and go into the bank to talk with her and bring them with you. Bring some people with you and try and record it. If she wants to keep people from carrying as you know she must posts signs at all entry ways. I would like to see what she does the next time you enter the bank with out the gun. Will she come up and try and search you? I know i know i can hear it now. If i cant carry in the location i will go to another bank for my banking needs. If she try's to tell you the city has laws keeping people from carrying print off and show her RSA 159:26 and that should end it.

old dog

imported post

Another damned hysterical female who thinks screeching trumps everything.

sirfarmer

imported post

No news as of yet. She keeps referring to some internal TD Bank security policy but won't release any information for me to telephone them directly. She said I should expect a call from them - but I have received nothing.

We have established deposit accounts at another local bank in town. They welcomed our business and did not have an issue with us lawfully carrying. We will be closing our accounts by the end of this week or early next.

I'm fairly certain she is a New Hampshire transplantt... probably originally from Massachusetts where guns are non-existent except for law enforcement. On a side note, I know a detective in the Wolfeboro police department and he told me that he frequently open carries in plain clothes without any incident... though he does have his badge by the holster.

antijingoist

imported post

Thats upsetting... I am in the TD Bank in keene with my sigma all the time with no problems. After hearing about this, I went in open carrying just to get 2$ bills, and there were no complaints. It might just be the manager, I say complain to someone over her.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Unrelated to NH but in the town I live in there's a TD Banknorth branch and horror of horrors it was held up and robbed a couple of weeks ago.

On an online forum for the local newspaper people were commenting on it, I threw in there that I heard TD Bank had a strict "No firearms" policy in place so how on earth could it have been robbed at gunpoint.

Hilarity ensued.. some people have no sense of humor.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

gunfreezonecartoon.jpg

webjoy

imported post

Sirfarmer if you are going to post a story tell the whole story and the whole truth. Yes she approached you about the gun sticking out of the back of your shorts. A responsible gun owner would make sure in bank of all places that the weapon was secured in holster and not staring the guy behind you in line begging someone to grab it. I was in the bank that day she asked you to make sure the next time it was concealed hence concealed carry permit. I own a few guns and i shoot quite a bit that was reckless thing you could have done. Don`t give other gun owners a bad wrap because you are irresponsible.

david.ross

imported post

webjoy,

You do know this site is about openly carrying firearms, correct?

I don't know what rig sirfarmer uses, but even a level I(one retention i.e. strap, clip, etc) suffices even though discouraged. Carrying a firearm in a holster without any retention is highly discouraged.

Now... personally I'd not open carry on my back unless it's a primary weapon(rifle, shotgun, sbs, aow, sbr, etc) and I'd use a side holster on my right or left side.

I am curious now, what holster type and brand sirfarmer uses.