• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad Brass Women

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Is this an independent group?

I love the idea, but there are so many women's shooting groups, I kinda wish some would unite under one or three banners. Here is a case where more is not necessarily better - when you're reaching out to newcomers, an overabundance of choices may be a turnoff.

Still, I wish them well. Beats NO options.

I'm fortunate to have a chapter of The Well Armed Woman here in NOVA.

(I say three banners -- one for the target shooting/hunting group, one for the self-defense group, and one for the politically active shooters -- while recognizing the overlap among them.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is this an independent group?

I love the idea, but there are so many women's shooting groups, I kinda wish some would unite under one or three banners. Here is a case where more is not necessarily better - when you're reaching out to newcomers, an overabundance of choices may be a turnoff.

Still, I wish them well. Beats NO options.

I'm fortunate to have a chapter of The Well Armed Woman here in NOVA.

(I say three banners -- one for the target shooting/hunting group, one for the self-defense group, and one for the politically active shooters -- while recognizing the overlap among them.)

IMHO - too many groups has the same effect as "divide and conquer" - leaves all with lesser numbers and a weaker voice. There is power/influence, strength in numbers that can only be obtained by concentrating the efforts.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
IMHO - too many groups has the same effect as "divide and conquer" - leaves all with lesser numbers and a weaker voice. There is power/influence, strength in numbers that can only be obtained by concentrating the efforts.

The other side of that coin is that IMHO many (most?) of these groups aren't looking for a voice. They're just looking for a group of women with whom to go shooting - where they don't have to feel like they're "tagging along" with the menfolk. I can understand that, though as you know I've never been worried about that myself.

2a4all

One of the photos on their FB page shows a quote from Harry Browne which says "...You are far less likely to be hurt in a neighborhood of gun-owners than in a neighborhood of disarmed citizens - even if you don't own a gun yourself..."

I doubt very much the residents of the Southeast Community of Newport News, or the high crime areas of any city, would support that. Could this really mean "law-abiding gun-owners"? I'm pretty sure the woman in the picture doesn't live there.

wylde007

Well, I am not particularly aware of any active women's shooting group in the greater Hampton Roads area. I do know that the young woman spearheading this initiative has drawn up bylaws (making it a FORMAL organization and not just some people meeting up to "talk shop" about guns and shooting) and she is also (at least to the best of my recent knowledge) been VERY ACTIVE in local and state political circles, campaigning and lobbying with fervor.

I thought for sure it would receive a warmer welcome by this community, so many of whom claim that "not enough is being done" to educate and inform. Well, here's a prime example of someone doing just that.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, I am not particularly aware of any active women's shooting group in the greater Hampton Roads area. I do know that the young woman spearheading this initiative has drawn up bylaws (making it a FORMAL organization and not just some people meeting up to "talk shop" about guns and shooting) and she is also (at least to the best of my recent knowledge) been VERY ACTIVE in local and state political circles, campaigning and lobbying with fervor.

I thought for sure it would receive a warmer welcome by this community, so many of whom claim that "not enough is being done" to educate and inform. Well, here's a prime example of someone doing just that.

I was too quick to appear negative which was not my intention. Hope to meet her one day - meanwhile I will actively support any and all gun rights groups - including those that just meet to shoot the breeze and talk. From the way you describe her, we need more like her - wish he well and welcome her to the good fight.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

I, too, did not mean to appear negative. I was simply curious. I know Carrie Lightfoot would talk to her about a chapter of The Well Armed Woman if she doesn't want to do it all herself.

I commend her for the effort!