• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beavercreek (OH) P.D. Ignorant About Open Carry

RCall

Let me say im new to open carry and this site I have my ccw and have always wanted to open carry but my instructor in my ccw class made it sound like people who open carry are dumb and WILL EVENTUALLY face charges inducing panic charges or disorderly conduct charges which discouraged me. Despite that, due to my online research and this site I have decided to start openly carrying, but some people including the Beavercreek police department don't know the laws surrounding open carry watch the video if you haven't already heard its almost a year old.

http://www.ohioopencarry.org/news/beavercreek-encounter

Fallschirjmäger

I wonder, have we in 200 short years diverged so much from our European roots that there's a 'European look'?

I've never expected the average police officer to be conversant in anything other than traffic regulations.

Last edited:

Dreamer

It has been my experience that the VAST majority of CC permit holders out there DON'T know gun laws very well, especially the ones in the "over-50" crowd. Most CC permit holders are NOT "activists", and only learn enough about gun laws to pass their certification tests.

Also, you need to remember that the VAST majority of CC permit instructors are ex-LEOs and tend to be VERY anti-OC, and often knowingly lie to their classes about the legality of OC. If everyone knew OC was legal, the CC instructors of this nation would be losing millions of dolalrs a year...

We here on OCDO are the exception, I fear. We are obsessed with knowing the law, and we go to great lengths to research common law, court cases, and Statutory law. Most people do not.

It should come as no surprise that an old man in OH with a CC permit doesn't know the law.

What is shocking is that he feels the need to call the cops on someone who is merely exercising their Constitutional Right under both the US and Ohio Constitution. I'll bet the guy who made the original 911 call is a registered Republican, which makes it even more disgusting.

Looks like that "See something, say something" foolishness being spewed by DHS is actually starting to catch on--even with people who are SUPPOSED to be interested in individual rights, liberty, and freedom...

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Keep the faith. When the weather warms up again there are people in Dayton who are willing to press the issue.

Lthrnck

Beavercreek PD ... Learned a lesson.

Keep the faith. When the weather warms up again there are people in Dayton who are willing to press the issue.

There are people here... matter of fact about 3 or 4 weeks after this incident the City of Beavercreek was visited by about 35 to 40 law abiding citizens who were openly carrying their firearms at the same 5 Guys Burgers..

I don't remember any of them showing up to pester us.

I did get there a about 30 to 40 minutes late.. but didn't see any BCPD.

pirateguy191

Also, you need to remember that the VAST majority of CC permit instructors are ex-LEOs and tend to be VERY anti-OC, and often knowingly lie to their classes about the legality of OC. If everyone knew OC was legal, the CC instructors of this nation would be losing millions of dolalrs a year...

Not sure that's quite true. I know a dozen or more instructors here in Ohio and none of them are ex-LEO.

4sooth

If the caller did not leave his name and contact information then the "tip" is not credible and has no predictive value. Florida v J.L., U.S. v Ubiles,

JoeSparky

Centurion
What makes me sick is the caller even states he has a ccw permit but does not know gun laws.

Neither did:
the dispatcher,
the Sargent,
or the officer's that responded to the NON CRIME location.

And now, the caller and all the other witnesses to the actions by the OPINION ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS have it reinforced that they were WITNESS TO A CRIME!!!!!