• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

best use of NYPD officers

solus

quote: Sorah Oppen tells the New York Post she was riding in boyfriend Yehuda Coriat's car Wednesday afternoon in the Far Rockaway neighborhood when they were pulled over and told they were suspected of transporting weapons and drugs.

Three NYPD cops staged a fake traffic stop to help a man propose to his girlfriend in Queens after a friend connected to the scandal-plagued Shomrim patrol group asked for a favor, the future bride said Friday. unquote
http://nypost.com/2016/07/29/cops-stage-fake-traffic-stop-to-help-mans-marriage-proposal/

ipse

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Back in the mid-to-late 70's, the city of Amarillo, TX pulled a little stunt. Once a week, a motorist passing through on the interstate was seized in a traffic stop. But, it wasn't your typical traffic stop--the cop stopped a random person so he could extend the city's official invitation to stay the night at a nice hotel at the city's expense. A promotional gimmick. That's right. Its OK to violate the Fourth Amendment (search and seizure) if you're trying to make yourself look good, and offer the person seized something nice. (/sarcasm)

solus

Back in the mid-to-late 70's, the city of Amarillo, TX pulled a little stunt. Once a week, a motorist passing through on the interstate was seized in a traffic stop. But, it wasn't your typical traffic stop--the cop stopped a random person so he could extend the city's official invitation to stay the night at a nice hotel at the city's expense. A promotional gimmick. That's right. Its OK to violate the Fourth Amendment (search and seizure) if you're trying to make yourself look good, and offer the person seized something nice. (/sarcasm)

had to use that gimmick...who in their right mind would even think of staying in honky tonk amarillo texas in the 70s...shudder! :eek::eek:
http://www.movoto.com/guide/amarillo-tx/amarillo-stereotypes/
ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

A man in Carthage, NC pulled this same stunt about 10 years ago. He laughed about it telling it around town, I told him he was an idiot. Traffic stops are really stressful for some people, it is not a nice thing to do for a proposal. If I had done something like that my wife would have committed domestic violence, and I would have deserved it.

Maverick9

If I had the means, I would be tempted to file an harassment suit against any agency who stopped me for 'good deeds'. Why they think we want their accolades is beyond me.

Of course, there's a possibility that if you accept this, the LE presence in town would be very nice to you (i.e. leave you alone) in the future.

In general I don't like it, it's intrusive, and I really don't trust the motives. It's not really them being nice to you but faking something to get people to like them. A good LE force is just generally well-liked and doesn't need these kinds of stunts. It's childish and transparent.

b0neZ

Slightly relevant:

When I threw parties (1986 - 1990) I would run a scanner in case a neighbor got upset and called us in, even though we took many precautions to avoid that. Throughout the shindig the more trusted of my friends would take turns manning the scanner.

During one of the hootenanies, a couple of friends and I decided to take a walk just to get away from the noise for a minute. At one end of my street was a parked cop car, and in that car was a cop I had known for many years.

We hung out and talked with him for a few minutes, and we convinced him to "run" our info as if he was going to arrest us (he already knew well about the scanner) as a prank on those at the house.

He did it. It worked well. Party goers were freaked out.

Moral of the story: Not all cops/departments are buttheads either then or now. Some do like a bit of fun, and if it doesn't interfere with the performance of their duties why should there be backlash?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

No not all are butt heads, but if a cop pulls you over for ice cream. Then asks what you did wrong, and you reply is I was doing 90mph in a school zone. Even as a joke, you are screwed.

I see the ice cream as an infringement as well as a fishing expedition.

Want to make PR? That is not the way to do it. I did it by helping people when they needed help. I also attended church, both in uniform, and out. I took the time to talk to people in a non investigative manner. Every once in a while get out of your car and walk, and just greet people, again in a non investigative manner. Occasionally a officer will say "Hi" to me and that is it. Usually the troopers, and most of the deputies wave as they drive by me.

The whole purpose of being a officer is to serve people, and keep the peace, not keep an intimidating presence.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A man in Carthage, NC pulled this same stunt about 10 years ago. He laughed about it telling it around town, I told him he was an idiot. Traffic stops are really stressful for some people, it is not a nice thing to do for a proposal. If I had done something like that my wife would have committed domestic violence, and I would have deserved it.

Its not "domestic violence" if its deserved? I like that idea.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Its not "domestic violence" if its deserved? I like that idea.
:banghead:

It is moderating to slap hands, kick butts, and knock heads when all else has failed. Therefore deserved.

The continued off topic, cute remarks which have become your trademark may well be, likened the straw(s) that broke the camel's back, be your undoing.