• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BREAKING NEWS: At Least 10 Dead, 20 Hurt in Aurora Colorado Shooting Spree

livetrapper13

......For starters it is my understanding that adults at the age of 18, that can fight in the military, can not own a pistol in the land of the free.......

In Colorado, it is illegal for a person under the age of 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer (FFL holder). However, a person over the age of 18 may buy a handgun from a private party sale, or they could receive one as a gift. It is perfectly legal for a person over the age of 18 to open carry a handgun in Colorado.

18-12-108.5. Possession of handguns by juveniles - prohibited - exceptions - penalty.

(1) (a) Except as provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of eighteen years knowingly to have any handgun in such person's possession.

Last edited:

Haz.

Howdy Pardner!
Here is something to share with those antis down under:
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847

We do thank you for your prayers and good thoughts for the folks affected by this terrible havoc.
Something those antis consider is the man's use of guns probably saved lives.
Consider that he planted more than 30 explosive devices in his apartment with the intent of killing more people.
If he didn't have guns (the primary weapon jammed on him, BTW) he might have used explosives instead.
The death count could have been much higher.
As bad as it was, it could have been much worse.

It could also have been much better, had somebody been able to return fire.
I think the guy would have been startled, perhaps even broken off his attack, if somebody sent a few rounds in his direction.
But we will never know for certain, because the only guy with a gun in that theater was a cold blooded killer.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

G-Day mate!

I and many other firearms owners like myself here Down Under have been hammering information such as this and similar information home to radio talk back programs, via, e-mail to newspaper editors and our representatives in government. The majority of them ignore these figures as they prove beyond doubt that the strictest firearms laws in the western world are a complete failure! And the same people give the anties and the Greens all the air time they want. Its been an uphill battle but we will continue with it till the end.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
Now that a whack job is safely behind bars in Arapahoe County, the copy cats come out hoping for their 5 minutes of fame.
Wonder why it never dawns on them they'll trade those 5 minutes for life behind bars or lethal injection?

Along with the lunatics, we also see everybody with an agenda trying to utilize this tragedy for their own device.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
And I will disagree with your analysis. "Reasonable care", using your fire abatement example, is defined by the existing fire codes, rules and regulations. These themselves define what's reasonable -- you follow them all, and you can't be successfully sued if there's a fire (I've added "successfully" to avoid the "you can sue anyone for anything" comment) because you've done everything required by law.

There are no codes for "general safety" or especially “protection of the individual” that exist as far as I know (I'm willing to be corrected) which creates a "reasonable care" level for theater-goers (or anyone, anywhere) beyond the health and fire codes that the theater (or any place) must abide by. I mean, it’s even been found that the police have no requirement to protect individuals (Warren v. District of Columbia), how could you hold a theater to a higher standard than the police are held to?

As such, the theater supplied "reasonable care" in this case, which, due to law, is nothing.

O2

While a judge may indeed use something like fire codes as a basis for determining what's reasonable, they can also apply subjective experience to the mix and come up with their own definition. I'm pretty sure there are no fire codes prohibiting smoking in bed, but if someone did that and burned down an apartment building, the judge could hold them negligent for failing to take exercise reasonable care.

since9

Campaign Veteran
...since the policy worked SO well for Cinemark...

Hey! Virginia Tech uses the SAME policy! As does Norway. And...

Must be a trend:
- Idiotic business create a gun-free zone
- Criminals view it as a free-fire zone
- People die
- Idiot businesses say, "but we took every precaution!"
- Dead people's family sues idiotic businesses
- Idiotic businesses lose millions in judgments

Well, the last one hasn't happened, at least not in Aurora. Yet. I wonder how rapidly those signs will disappear if the judges presiding over the lawsuits determine that signs disarming the general populace was a contributing factor in the shootings?

Hmm...

Bottom line, folks - it's the LAWYERS who're advising businesses to put up the signs. In our current judicial environment, they're not going to be held liable for forbidding the free exercise of 2A rights. They can be held liable if they don't.

This WILL change, however, once the courts come to their senses and start holding business owners liable for creating free-fire zones.

These are taken at the Hollywood Theater, Interquest Parkway in Colorado Springs:

hollywood_gfz0.jpg

hollywood_gfz1.jpg

A couple takeaways to understand the antis:
  • No amount of training is enough to make you a good guy.
  • No background check is good enough to make you a good guy.
  • There is no difference between a law-abiding gun owner and a deranged murderer.
  • And of course, to complete the lack of logic, it's safe to assume that a deranged murderer will go elsewhere when they see the sign.

It absolutely boggles my mind that a company would take the exact same position as another that had suffered such a devastating act and think it's the right thing to do.

Hollywood Theater Interquest Parkway
11250 Rampart Hill View
Colorado Springs, CO 80916
Phone: (719) 434-3848

Hollywood Theaters
919 SW Taylor
Portland, OR 97205
Phone: (503) 221-7090
Fax: (503) 796-0229

O2