• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brighton Dale Park firearms signs

pkbites

At Brighton Park in Kansasville (Kenosha County) all the entrances are posted "No firearms except licensed concealed carry". This seems to insinuate that open carry would be illegal.

Cure my ignorance please. What law allows them to prohibit open carry on public grounds (not inside a building)?

solus

At Brighton Park in Kansasville (Kenosha County) all the entrances are posted "No firearms except licensed concealed carry". This seems to insinuate that open carry would be illegal.

Cure my ignorance please. What law allows them to prohibit open carry on public grounds (not inside a building)?

Misconstrued abuse of power? There is nothing about concealed firearms in the county ordinances covering their park commission’s policies.

But you kind attention is directed to http://www.kenoshacounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/2343/MCKC10

Chapter 10 county parks
10.04 permits

(11) No person shall have in his or her possession an uncased firearm, paintball gun, air gun, bow, crossbow, spring operated weapon, cannon, explosive, fireworks, sword, lance, spear or any dangerous weapon as defined in section 939.22 of the Wisconsin Statutes, without a written permit unless he or she is duly authorized under a specific state statute.

10.07 PROHIBITED ACTIONS
The following actions are prohibited in County parks:

(25) To violate any park rule posted by sign.

Oh you can’t parachute or land your plane in the park either!

pkbites

My thought is those signs and any ordinance they represent (no ordinance number is quoted on the signs, BTW) is contrary to State statute 66.0409 and therefore null.

gutshot II

My thought is those signs and any ordinance they represent (no ordinance number is quoted on the signs, BTW) is contrary to State statute 66.0409 and therefore null.

The two biggest questions are:

1. What does Wisconsin law allow you to do about this?

2. What do you plan on doing about this?

pkbites

The two biggest questions are:

1. What does Wisconsin law allow you to do about this?

2. What do you plan on doing about this?

Fair question. I've been quite busy so it's been on the back burner.

1) I'm going to research to see if open carry in a county park is legal per state law (I believe it is, but I want to be 100% sure before I shoot my mouth off, pun intended)

2)Once I'm sure I'll start with the county parks exec and work my way all the way up to the AG if I have to.

The signs don't per se say that OC is illegal, but in my view they infer it. What is your opinion?

Last edited:

KBCraig

I don't know the answer, but after I looked up the location on a map, I literally snorted out loud.

"Richard Bong State Recreation Area"???

I wonder how much the state has spent replacing signs for "Dick Bong Park".

Wstar425

Richard Bong was a P-38 fighter pilot, and a highly decorated one at that. Shot down something like 40 Japanese aircraft. Died in a test flight. Guessing he didn’t have much imput on his name. The recreation area is on the site of the former Bong Air Force Base.

Open carry is NOT an illegal activity in Wisconsin. Neither is it legal, just not addressed. Thus, I could see there being no reason to address it in the ordinances, nor the sign. However, I’d guess it was an oversight to excude it, nor that many will see it that way. The list of banned activities, or those requiring a permit IS MOST IMPRESSIVE THO! (Per the link provided post #2)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Richard Bong was a P-38 fighter pilot, and a highly decorated one at that. Shot down something like 40 Japanese aircraft. Died in a test flight. Guessing he didn’t have much imput on his name. The recreation area is on the site of the former Bong Air Force Base.

Open carry is NOT an illegal activity in Wisconsin. Neither is it legal, just not addressed. Thus, I could see there being no reason to address it in the ordinances, nor the sign. However, I’d guess it was an oversight to excude it, nor that many will see it that way. The list of banned activities, or those requiring a permit IS MOST IMPRESSIVE THO! (Per the link provided post #2)
Open carry is covered through the lack of statute to the contrary. If not prohibited, it is by default legal.
"Open carry is legal in Wisconsin. You do not need a Wisconsin Concealed Weapons License to open carry. Local authorities cannot have laws or ordinances against open carry since the state preempts all firearms laws in the state."
https://www.usacarry.com/wisconsin-open-carry.html

Would have been beneficial to provide a link to information on pilot Richard Bong.

Wstar425

Information on Richard Bong was in my head. Used to live down near there, been there many times but long ago. Good luck linking to that. The rest not worth dealing with. Google is your friend. Have a good evening.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Information on Richard Bong was in my head. Used to live down near there, been there many times but long ago. Good luck linking to that. The rest not worth dealing with. Google is your friend. Have a good evening.
You brought the subject up.

I inquired nicely. I will provide linking information for others since it is "not worth dealing with" for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bong

[url]https://www.warhistoryonline.com/cold-war/richard-bong-usas-legendary-ace-of-aces-died-during-a-test-flightxx.html

[/URL]

Wstar425

Subject was brought up one post before mine, but thanks for the link. Off topic from gist of the post.

I said have a good evening.......

Have a good day.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't know the answer, but after I looked up the location on a map, I literally snorted out loud.

"Richard Bong State Recreation Area"???

I wonder how much the state has spent replacing signs for "Dick Bong Park".

Much more than my humble opinion - it is the strongly held belief that a winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor should be extended every courtesy and never be the subject of ridicule in any way, shape or form. They deserve a salute no matter what rank you may hold.

May Maj. Richard Bong live forever in our hearts, his flame never extinguished.

pkbites

In a roundabout way Wisconsin codified OC when 947.01 was amended.

Those signs might just be poorly worded. What I'm licking my chops over is if the county tells me "no, you can not openly carry in the park".

Much more than my humble opinion - it is the strongly held belief that a winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor should be extended every courtesy and never be the subject of ridicule in any way, shape or form.

I agree. Years ago National Lampoon had a page that included pictures of Highland Blvd in Milwaukee, The Oriental Drugs sign down on Farwell, and Bong Recreational Area sign under the subheading "Cheech & Chongs summer vacation". Cute, but disrespectful to a true hero.