• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Budget bill

oak1971

I support Walker 100%. CC is important, but it isn't the ONLY important thing. Shame on all those government workers who are protesting something that everyone in the private sector has to live with in their jobs. If the rest of the taxpaying public has to pay into their health care and retirement, why should state workers be any different? The state is broke, the taxpayer should not have to take more money out of their family budgets to finance the lifestyle of government employees.

Last edited:

XDFDE45

Kinda like summerfest in milwaukee. If conceal carry were legal I'd chose to conceal there. (probably a nice armpit rig or ankle rig)
Check out EOTACH Discreet Clothing. I had thought about what to wear if Conceal Carry got passed and these clothes would be good for large crowds if Constitutional Carry gets passed and I would be in a crowded place.

SIGdude

I support Walker 100%. CC is important, but it isn't the ONLY important thing. Shame on all those government workers who are protesting something that everyone in the private sector has to live with in their jobs. If the rest of the taxpaying public has to pay into their health care and retirement, why should state workers be any different? The state is broke, the taxpayer should not have to take more money out of their family budgets to finance the lifestyle of government employees.

This. Precisely this.

oliverclotheshoff

Shame on all those government workers who are protesting something that everyone in the private sector has to live with in their jobs. If the rest of the taxpaying public has to pay into their health care and retirement, why should state workers be any different? The state is broke, the taxpayer should not have to take more money out of their family budgets to finance the lifestyle of government employees.

right on

Last edited:

Pyro01

That just summed up everything I didn't really understand, thank you for clearing that up for me, don't know why it was so hard for me to understand.

+2

1FASTC4

I'm not really sure where I stand on the whole union issue, and I can see where people are coming from on both sides. .

Interesting. On the union side, what exactly do you "see where they are coming from"? I'm curious because I just can't find any point where I agree with them. Maybe your perspective will give me a little sympathy for what I consider to be a group of people who have held too much political power for way to long and have bullied the State of Wisconsin, and its taxpayers, for years. If I'm being unjustly harsh in my view, I'd like to be educated. Thanks! :)

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Wisconsin politics have ended up not being Democrats vs. Republicans, but rather WEAC (teachers union) vs. WMC (lobby for really big business) and Wisconsin citizens and taxpayers are "collateral damage."

now back to open carry discussion.... .45 vs 9mm? Inclined to go the .45 for carry for the one shot stop. Bedside the 9.

Pyro01

You know, now that you asked me that I can't really think of any good reasons other than a bargaining tool being taken away. If my boss told me I'd never be getting another raise for as long as I worked here, I'd tell him to suck an egg and find someone else to do my job because others get paid more for less work than I do. I'd have left already, but I need the time at this job to say I've worked for so long in the IT field to improve my chances at getting better jobs.

We also have a whole term life insurance policy by union company that a friend referred us to for $33/month for my wife and I(also being a type 1 diabetic) that pays $24000 in the event one of us die or are dismembered. It's a very good deal for us, especially for me since I have a lifelong health condition. So while I can't say I support unions 100%, I'm not going to deny that they haven't assisted me.

I am not a democrat and am very well the only conservative republican out of nearly all my college friends. When I hear them saying how they walked outta class with their teachers, I find myself pointing out the problems that can't be fixed on wishful thinking alone. Where does the money come from? If they don't want to budge on their union rights, then they're going to have to eat some furlough days which does affect me since my wife is a student worker at the University Library. She does not make nearly as much as I do, but it's still money out of our pockets if it comes to that.

M

McX

9 in the building, .45 in the real world, Disruptor (7.62 by 25) for special occassions, precious (.40) on standby.

Pyro01

Wisconsin politics have ended up not being Democrats vs. Republicans, but rather WEAC (teachers union) vs. WMC (lobby for really big business) and Wisconsin citizens and taxpayers are "collateral damage."

now back to open carry discussion.... .45 vs 9mm? Inclined to go the .45 for carry for the one shot stop. Bedside the 9.

I agree this isn't a Dem vs. Rep debate, and I wish others could see it the same way. I'd go with the 45 all the way! I got a 460 S&W Mag under my pillow loaded with some 45 colt hollowpoints. It also happens to be my carry gun because I haven't been able to afford a smaller framed gun.

Interceptor_Knight

no need to be rude and childish
sorry you were not able to comprehend my joke but it was just that a joke i thought we were all adults here when you respond to a post like the way you did it shows you have not grown up from being a child a simple are you being serious or is this a joke response would of been better suited and it would not make other people who dont post much feel discouraged from posting here because someone wants to be a keyboard commando

Obviously I was not the only one to miss that it was a "joke".. Perception is important as many eyes are on this board..... I guarantee that there are people who see no problem doing what you "jokingly" suggested.
It would have been more mature for you to simply state that it was a joke and then allow me to respond.. Don't bother hiding behind a PM.....
I edited my original response to reflect that my statement isn't against you personally but to the mistaken attitude which I believe exists at some level....

Last edited:
M

McX

uh ohh, getting a little warm in here; time for a joke; these 5 guys go to Madison for dinner at Culver's one night.....................what?...........what are lookin at?.............you already heard this one?!

M

McX

I LoLed... that was perfect.

i have my moments. to know me is to love me; not the love like between a girl, and a guy, nor any variant thereof, not realy like the love between a carrier and his 1911, not like the love one gets from the Madison PD.........oh heck with it; to know me is to like me............but not like, like.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc

Last edited:

oliverclotheshoff

for your info interceptor i was not hiding behind a pm i was trying not to skew the direction of the thread but since you dont care about staying on topic i will end this right here and now

good bye and have a nice day.

Last edited:

Snake161

Well, three of us went to the school and raised hell. I am hoping that at least for a while they get he message. They seemed pretty scared.

AaronBC

I found myself caught off guard a bit by all this..... I had heard several groups of professors talking about signing petitions and protesting through the week, but I only learned more about it on Thursday as our professor took some time to explain the issue. (perhaps with some personal bias?) Either way I am doing some personal research to try and get an -objective- grasp on what's actually going on.

The issue arises from the Wisconsin deficit, which is currently at 3.6 billion dollars.

The changes made by this bill would decrease spending by 300 million dollars over a period of two years, or less than 10%.

Unions still could represent workers, but they could not force employees to pay dues, and would have to re-organize yearly. Only wages below the Consumer Price Index would be subject to collective bargaining, anything higher would have to be approved by referendum.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-fired-budget-deal-wisconsin-governor-warns/

So reading directly from the bill here, http://legis.wisconsin.gov/JR1SB-11.pdf.

Under Current Law municipal employees have the right to collectively bargain over wages, hours, and conditions of employment under the MERA and have the right to collectively bargain over wages, hours and conditions of employment under the State Employment Labor Relations Act (SELRA).

The bill limits the right to collectively bargain for all other public employees to the subject of base wages, along with limiting any collective bargaining unit to bargaining over a percentage of total base wages increase that is no greater than the percentage chance in the consumer price index.

It also prohibits municipal employers from collectively bargaining with municipal general employees in matters that are not permitted under MERA.

The bill limits collective bargaining to one year, and does not allow extensions.

Under the current law, UW System employees and emplyees of the UW hospitals and clinics authority, and certain home care and child care providers have the right the collectively bargain over wages, hours, and conditions of employment.

and quoted directly from the bill with no omissions, it states:
"This bill eliminates the rights of these employees to collectively bargain."

Please correct me if anything what I have put above is incorrect.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

So this bill will:
Increase the amount that the effected groups will have to pay for insurance and pensions, considerably.

Will remove their -right- to collectively bargain, along with imposing limits on the bargaining that's allowed and just in generally making it more difficult for them.

I personally hold teachers in the highest regard, at any level, and throughout highschool and college have spoken with my teachers and professors pretty freely. They are not upper class citizens, they have the same problems and financial issues as anyone else. While the increased amount they would have to pay is significant, it is eclipsed by that statement.

Now, with the majority of this post being a search for verification, it should be known that I do not have the best grasp on the topic at hand. That being said:

"This bill eliminates the rights of these employees to collectively bargain."

This is our enemy, this is any American citizens enemy. The concept that any bill can eliminate a right is absurd, and something the "Right to Carry" group knows personally and should stand up against. I am reading a lot of what people here are posting, and am kind of disappointed in what appears to be people walking a party line in the hopes of seeing the right to carry rights fixed, at the expense of a different groups rights.

Last edited:

Big Dipper

AaronBC, a "RIGHT" to collectively bargain?

Not the way I see it.

It (collective bargaining for unions) is, and has been, a legally (through specific legislation) granted monopoly, not some inherent "right".

Utilities are also granted legal monopolies and are subject to much oversite and control (rates, required investment in equipment, etc.) in order to limit the monopolistic powers that they received through such grants.

Those monopolistic powers allow the unions to coerce mandatory membership of all those who are employed by the organization they are dealing with and also to extort union dues from those members. What about the rights of those who do not wish to participate? Why do they have to be subjected to such coercion?

The unions have for too long used their monopolistic powers to extort pay and benefits for their members which are completely out of line with what is going on in the real world these days. They have done this by threatening to withhold their members' services (and sometimes following through) from US, the public - not some greedy, robber-baron employer who is trying to make himself richer!

The laws that granted the monopoly to teachers' unions and public service workers' unions can just as easily be reversed through legislation. And I, for one think, they should be!

Now back to Open Carry topics (I hope)!

Last edited: