• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a New Truck

Brad Peterson

Which one sounds like a better deal? A 2006 Ford F-150 4 door, fully loaded, with a camper shell and 147,000 miles for $13,000 or a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 door and a half with the same amenities (exept tinted windows, camper shell, and sliding rear window) and only 81,000 miles for $10,000? Both are 4x4. I'm a Ford guy myself but I'm able to look past brands in order to get the best deal.

Brad Peterson

Considering I'll be moving onto a military installation next month and won't be able to carry on base that's not an issue. BUT when I leave base I CAN carry. They both have a ton of room and I can get to the seat belts easily, even with the gun on my hip. The Chevy does have a nice spot on the dash where I can set the gun and it won't slide around though.

mikeyb

depends on which one's been rode hard.

on the surface, i'd go with the 2006, as it's 7 years newer. 7 years of not sitting, not heating up and cooling off, not exposed to the sun, etc. the Ford's engine will need work sooner than the chevy, but probably won't have serious age-related issues.

solus

Brad...

first, thanks for your service to this here great country known far and wide throughout the world as The United States of America, believe it or not it your service is noted and truly appreciated by those who have gone before you!!

Carry on airman!!

second, is there room for a small keyed safe behind the seat of your new ride? if so that is the better vehicle for your needs!! key needs to be kept in the back end of the vehicle out of the cab (safe door is left open when you approach the gate, slide firearm in, push door shut, get home, get key from back of the vehicle unlock)

CAVEAT...if you are in the barracks then all bets are off on taking it inside your dorm room. housing is a different story!!

normally, the security forces, unless on heightened security alert won't insist it be opened during routine vehicle inspections. (INAL)

https://www.stack-on.com/categories/personal-casesboxes--6/products/316

Last edited:

solus

OMG, you're one of those :shocker: tell me it isn't so brad, still time to xtrain?? rof,,,good profession actually...

ipse

The Truth

Take the $13K and put it into a Dodge with a 12v Cummins with an NV4500 5 speed and enjoy one of the best trucks ever made. That Dodge will outlast the Ford and the Chevy, as well as pull a trailer with the Ford and the Chevy on it as if it weren't even there.

KBCraig

Drivetrain and condition would be my determining factor.

The '99 would still be a SBC (if it's a V-8), and not the Vortec that came out in 2001. The '99 will also lack many things available in later years, like tow mode, and dash selectable 2-HI/4-HI/4-LO/Automatic 4WD.

I'm a GMC guy, but by 2006 Ford was making some good trucks that were both efficient and reasonably powerful for towing.

They're still ugly as a baby possum, but I'm not the one who's going to be seen driving it. ;)

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have a 2005 Ford that purrs. I actually had to work on it last week. Replaced a headlamp.

$16.

Repair bills on the other two Fords I've owned over the last 30 years were similarly miniscule.

DrakeZ07

Take the $13K and put it into a Dodge with a 12v Cummins with an NV4500 5 speed and enjoy one of the best trucks ever made. That Dodge will outlast the Ford and the Chevy, as well as pull a trailer with the Ford and the Chevy on it as if it weren't even there.

For once I agree with this man, and applaud his statement.

Ya can take five grand, and put it into a 1989-93 First Gen Dodge Cummins, and use the rest to buy a boat and a trailer, or take a vacation.

I used to LOVE chevrolets, was a BIG chevy fan. Then I was introduced to Jeeps, and then to Dodge, and then to the first gen cummins trucks. You always see ford and chevy trucks, but you rarely ever see a first gen cummins on the road, but when you do, its a beast of beauty. The first gens will run and pull, and tug, and keep driving long after your grand children have passed on and died; while Ford, and Chevy will be dead in 200k miles, even more-so the newer veriety.

My buddy bought a '92 first gen truck, D250, dually, it has 428k on the engine, he paid 2500$, gave it a tune-up, and now runs it cross-country in a car hauling transport biz, putting 10k miles every three months on it, and he hasn't had to replace any parts, or anything other than basic maintenance. He also gets about 25MPG highway, which is pretty good.

Besides, ya know what Ford really stands for, right? F*cked Over, rebuilt dodge.

Jus' keep cummin' n' strokin'.

[that is a legitimate mechanical car-lingo phrase, not a sexual innuendo/pun.[

KBCraig

Not to fan the fire of the brand wars, but just this past Sunday I used my GMC to rescue a Ford that was towing a Jeep.

:lol::banana::lol:

The Truth

For once I agree with this man, and applaud his statement.

Ya can take five grand, and put it into a 1989-93 First Gen Dodge Cummins, and use the rest to buy a boat and a trailer, or take a vacation.

I used to LOVE chevrolets, was a BIG chevy fan. Then I was introduced to Jeeps, and then to Dodge, and then to the first gen cummins trucks. You always see ford and chevy trucks, but you rarely ever see a first gen cummins on the road, but when you do, its a beast of beauty. The first gens will run and pull, and tug, and keep driving long after your grand children have passed on and died; while Ford, and Chevy will be dead in 200k miles, even more-so the newer veriety.

My buddy bought a '92 first gen truck, D250, dually, it has 428k on the engine, he paid 2500$, gave it a tune-up, and now runs it cross-country in a car hauling transport biz, putting 10k miles every three months on it, and he hasn't had to replace any parts, or anything other than basic maintenance. He also gets about 25MPG highway, which is pretty good.

Besides, ya know what Ford really stands for, right? F*cked Over, rebuilt dodge.

Jus' keep cummin' n' strokin'.

[that is a legitimate mechanical car-lingo phrase, not a sexual innuendo/pun.[

We agree on more than we may realize, haha.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Not to fan the fire of the brand wars, but just this past Sunday I used my GMC to rescue a Ford that was towing a Jeep.

:lol::banana::lol:

Well, during the last big snow, I used my 2WD Ford to rescue a 4WD Jeep, one Camry, and one Penske moving van, all three of which I found stuck along the side of the road in various locations between where I live and the nearest grocery store.

The Penske was the most difficult to extricate, but it's amazing what you can do with a tow strap and a little knowledge from Archimedes. :)

Last edited: