• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calibers is Anti Gun

WalkingWolf

No, people like you two are the reason bills are circulating in the legislature to take away the ability to open carry in the roundhouse; and that's just a start if it passes. It will not be a long step to take it to the next level and outlaw it entirely. It happened in CA; it can happen here.

Discretion is the key. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it needs to be done. This in-your-face attitude which awnuts mentions is at the heart of the problem, from people like you two.

There is no right to open carry. The right involves keeping and bearing arms. It does not specify being able to openly carry them wherever and whenever you wish.

Give the politicians reason to pass bad law restricting this ability, and they will jump at the chance every time. Just like they are now.

People like you are the reason we have gun control(people control) to begin with. Learn to control yourself instead of others, it will save you a lot of stress.

People have every right to boycott a business based on ANY reason. People, including you, can have their own thoughts, and opinions. You just have to get over what you cannot control, you cannot control a boycott, a business cannot force people to patronize them. They can control their property, but that may result in some people doing business elsewhere.

It is called liberty, deal with it.

AH.74

People like you are the reason we have gun control(people control) to begin with. Learn to control yourself instead of others, it will save you a lot of stress.

I'm not trying to control anything or anyone; just engaging in conversation. Take a look at my post history and you will see that I have always consistently been against any new (or existing) gun control laws. And I have been active in trying to do what I can, HERE IN MY STATE OF NM.

I resent your accusation and it is out of line.

WalkingWolf

I'm not trying to control anything or anyone; just engaging in conversation. Take a look at my post history and you will see that I have always consistently been against any new (or existing) gun control laws. And I have been active in trying to do what I can, HERE IN MY STATE OF NM.

I resent your accusation and it is out of line.

I really don't give a clap about your past. I concentrate on what you are posting NOW in this forum, and IMO it is anti OC.

AH.74

I really don't give a clap about your past. I concentrate on what you are posting NOW in this forum, and IMO it is anti OC.

Then you have a reading comprehension issue and that's not my problem.

I am all for open carry. I am also all for private property owners being able to make their own decisions as to how to handle things, on their own property.

That is also a part of liberty. Don't like it? TS.

WalkingWolf

Then you have a reading comprehension issue and that's not my problem.

I am all for open carry. I am also all for private property owners being able to make their own decisions as to how to handle things, on their own property.

That is also a part of liberty. Don't like it? TS.

You are all for open carry as long as they follow YOUR rules, nope I read you just as you are. And if those that don't agree hold their money it is tuff clap for the private property ninnies.

Last edited:

AH.74

You are all for open carry as long as they follow YOUR rules, nope I read you just as you are. And if those that don't agree hold their money it is tuff clap for the private property ninnies.

Right, my rules.

Whatever.

I am sure Calibers will be just fine. They're a good store- despite their "horrible" policies.

redsilver2

Well said WalkingWolf! I can't for the life of me figure out those other guys... And they keep insisting on throwing out the fact that I haven't been on this site much as a reason that I can't obviously make a good statement or hey don't listen to the "New" guy. As if it has anything to do with it.

Calibers has shot themselves in the foot and LOT's of people have said they will never shop there. Nor shall I. I started this post to get the info out there to make your own choice on the matter. If it doesn't bother you then Keep on shopping there. Stop Trolling my post because you don't agree with it.... But this is what this Forum is for.

No one is being extreme by spreading the word on a store policy.

If you think exercising a right is extreme or that OC isn't a right then that is your choice but again it's what this entire Forum is all about.

AH.74

Have you actually done anything to help protect our rights in this state, such as attend any of the legislature sessions or rallies in opposition of gun control? Or have you just complained about a store's policy?

wabbit

Have you actually done anything to help protect our rights in this state, such as attend any of the legislature sessions or rallies in opposition of gun control? Or have you just complained about a store's policy?

and were you AH, assisting baca or opposing him as he zealously protected the citizens of Albuquerque from the perils of citizens carrying firearms?

you state, as many have before you, of doing so much for our state...all i see out here, today and now is you criticizing when this forum's membership provides their perception of how to ensure the responsible citizens who carry but are then told they are second class citizens which is being perpetrated by calibers.

You are also correct AH, property owners have their governance but do not cast dispersion over suggestions which have worked in other locales to get property owners attention. complaining to corp through their change purses is far more effective .

and rallies are so effective in the scheme of things aren't they...oh i rank it up there with attending the sessions...have you ever done a full blown meet and greet with NM's leaders, such as with JimB, GaryJ or BillR (great politician by the way who apparently like Christie who seems to have gotten caught up bad political high-jinks) or letter writing campaign?

there are only 1.6M citizens here and while some proclaim the state is backward, there is forward thinking but everyone has to be open to do whatever works to further the effort.

oh and while i only have six posts, i have been out instructing the citizens of NM on how to exercise their firearm rights by introducing them to carry activities.

Last edited:

AH.74

and were you AH, assisting baca or opposing him as he zealously protected the citizens of Albuquerque from the perils of citizens carrying firearms?

you state, as many have before you, of doing so much for our state...all i see out here, today and now is you criticizing when this forum's membership provides their perception of how to ensure the responsible citizens who carry but are then told they are second class citizens which is being perpetrated by calibers.

Excuse me.

I am only being critical of peoples' notions that there is no need for discretion, and when there is a right and a wrong time and place for everything.

Interesting how none of you have addressed my points about what is happening in the current legislative session (again), and what happened in CA from people being overly zealous.

Do you really think I was helping anyone support gun laws? Really? You don't know me, I don't know you- so don't go there.

I did support peoples' wanting to express their opinion and feelings. I never said not to do that. But again- it must be done with discretion and reason. Not with hysteria and in an accusatory tone.

I have always been, and always will be, in favor of open carry. But it, like most things in life, is subject to reasonable limitations. If we do not respect those limitations, they will be increased and eventually we will lose the right to open carry at all.

And with that, I am done with this thread and will bow out.

AH.74

"subject to reasonable limitations"

And there you have the classic line of a progressive anti gun liberal.

Looks like I'm not done yet.

A closing shot, how mature of you.

You don't know squat about me. You think there should be no limitations as to where you can open carry? You think there should be no discretion? It's you who are acting like a liberal, whether you know it or not. Apparently you don't.

on edit- another one ignoring our current proposals and what has happened in CA. How about you address that? Or is that not fitting your own agenda of personal attacks?

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

(snipped)You think there should be no limitations as to where you can open carry? You think there should be no discretion?

I think that as long as I am not actively harming you, you shouldn't tell me what to do. Leave discretion to the individual, not the law.

on edit- another one ignoring our current proposals and what has happened in CA. How about you address that? Or is that not fitting your own agenda of personal attacks?

How about you explain how it is the people exercising their rights that are hurting their rights, and not the legislature?
Rights are not a barrel of trading fish, my friend. Not exercising a right because you might lose the right means it was never a right at all.

AH.74

I think that as long as I am not actively harming you, you shouldn't tell me what to do. Leave discretion to the individual, not the law.

How about you explain how it is the people exercising their rights that are hurting their rights, and not the legislature?
Rights are not a barrel of trading fish, my friend. Not exercising a right because you might lose the right means it was never a right at all.

I never said leave discretion to the law- yet another person to put words in my mouth. The discretion I have mentioned, every single time, refers to the acts of the individual- the individuals posting in here, in particular, who think exercising any discretion as to when and where OC may be appropriate means nothing. I'm not telling anyone what to do- suggesting discretion is not the same thing at all.

People exercising their rights in an attitude that says "look at me, I'll do what I want" despite the time and place possibly not being the wisest choice, is what I mean. How do you think it happened in CA? Exactly like that. And now, no open carry in CA, even of un-loaded guns. Is that what you want to happen? Because if the in-your-face mentality continues, it will.

Meanwhile, we have people in here like the OP who scream and cry because they're told not to open carry in a private business, who has the right to say that. Calling a gun store anti-gun is hypocritical. Call them anti-open carry and it is less so. But that's not what he did.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

I never said leave discretion to the law- yet another person to put words in my mouth. The discretion I have mentioned, every single time, refers to the acts of the individual- the individuals posting in here, in particular, who think exercising any discretion as to when and where OC may be appropriate means nothing. I'm not telling anyone what to do- suggesting discretion is not the same thing at all.

It was not my intention to claim that you said discretion should be left to the law; I was simply positing my view to you. It is not, however, difficult to see how such a view could be mis-attributed to you, as you keep insisting on discretion of others in situations *you* seem to think it is needed, rather than leaving people to decide and apply individually. To say people "need to use discretion" implies you either think they are not, or are not using it enough. What makes you think they aren't?

People exercising their rights in an attitude that says "look at me, I'll do what I want" despite the time and place possibly not being the wisest choice, is what I mean. How do you think it happened in CA? Exactly like that. And now, no open carry in CA, even of un-loaded guns. Is that what you want to happen? Because if the in-your-face mentality continues, it will.

Exercising my right to OC is not in your face behavior. Demanding, or insisting, others modify their behavior to accomodate my views, IS in your face behavior.

Call me crazy, but I always believed the political environment of CA is what led to their current gun laws, not people merely exercising their rights. If such were the cause, why is the same not true for Arizona, Virginia, Georgia or the other states where people DAILY exercise their "in your face" right to OC? They are not only doing it in "socially appropriate" venues and times, I assure you.

Meanwhile, we have people in here like the OP who scream and cry because they're told not to open carry in a private business, who has the right to say that. Calling a gun store anti-gun is hypocritical. Call them anti-open carry and it is less so. But that's not what he did.

I don't much care what the OP did or thinks. I believe the owner has the right to decide what he allows in his business or not, and I believe the OP has the right to his opinion on it. *shrug* I am not interested in dictating his or the business owner's behavior.

AH.74

Excellent post, PistolPackingMomma. I wish you had come into this thread earlier. Your points make sense, as I believe mine do as well.

As it is, I feel I have said more than enough and will now really bow out of this thread. I was only drawn back in by what I felt was an unreasonable personal attack.

PistolPackingMomma

Your opinions are equally valid, and it's not my intention to dissuade you from them. Glad we could have a civil discussion.

awnuts

Your opinions are equally valid, and it's not my intention to dissuade you from them. Glad we could have a civil discussion.

I don't see any rights being denied. Again we have the right to KEEP and BEAR arms. Where is it stated how we keep and where and when we bear arms? Now if Calibers wants to declare no OC in their store there's no rights being denied. There are LAWS that state a property owner can deny guns on their property.There are LAWS we have to follow to carry in any way or place. You want to choose not to do business with someone than fine. But don't try to dissuade every gun owner because you feel slighted. Guess I wont shop walmart,circleK, or any other place that wont allow OC either? Your limiting yourself to life and getting things to live with. Calibers is far from not being pro 2A its a gun business. And I'm sure you can also list a ton of other gun shops that don't allow weapons loaded and carried in their stores here too. I know of many gun shops that don't allow carry of any kind.We should penalize some business that actually supports our activity? Theres plenty of restaurants that don't allow carry either so we should deny ourselves of a good meal out?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I don't see any rights being denied. Again we have the right to KEEP and BEAR arms. Where is it stated how we keep and where and when we bear arms? Now if Calibers wants to declare no OC in their store there's no rights being denied. There are LAWS that state a property owner can deny guns on their property.There are LAWS we have to follow to carry in any way or place. You want to choose not to do business with someone than fine...

If someone stated that rights were being denied, they were wrong. Indeed, Calibers can declare all guns forbidden on their property and still not be denying "rights." The sentence I underlined is the key.

Some choose based on a different criteria and recognize that a company can have a certain rule for the same reason as a politician.