• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California S. Ct: Demand for zip code to use credit card is illegal!

skygear

I'm in. Locally I know which gas stations have the zip verification protocol and avoid them. Not all of them have it. I found that the stations near high traffic hubs are the main offenders. Hoping that they do not get hit with stolen cards. (Thats what I was told over the years)

noname762

Zip Code SNAFU'S

Interesting?

I always pay cash and have been asked at certain places for zip code. Never thought about it in this light before. I am going to say no next time just to see what happens. :D

Just do what I do. When I'm in one of my "it ain't none of their business" moods I'll say 98223...cuz I just like that number. Or 67221 which is a part of Wichita KS where I lived more than 35 years ago. Or get really cantankerous and give them a Canadian Postal Code.

skeith5

Just do what I do. When I'm in one of my "it ain't none of their business" moods I'll say 98223...cuz I just like that number. Or 67221 which is a part of Wichita KS where I lived more than 35 years ago. Or get really cantankerous and give them a Canadian Postal Code.

Haha.. I live in 98223...

eye95

I understand folks' reticence to hand out any personal information.

However, we ought to invest our activist capital wisely. There is no harm; just key in the freakin' zip code. They shouldn't be asking for it, but is this the hill we really want to die on?

OC for ME

Use 94726 [Z=9, I=4, P=7, C=2, O=6] as your zip code.

94726 is the postal code for Taza de Agua Ojo Zarco located in the municipality of Nogales in the Mexican state of Veracruz.

eye95

Don't they match the zip code to the one on file and decline the transaction if they don't match??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

POS?

And I know that they will cancel a gas transaction if it isn't right. Had that happen when I moved back stateside from Japan and had no clue what zip was attached to the card.

That's my experience. Just give them the zip code. It ain't exactly PII. Only narrows your identity down to one of 10,000 - 20,000 people.

If anyone wants to die on this hill, I'll be happy to stand there and watch.

davidmcbeth

Banned
That's my experience. Just give them the zip code. It ain't exactly PII. Only narrows your identity down to one of 10,000 - 20,000 people.

If anyone wants to die on this hill, I'll be happy to stand there and watch.

Well, why is this a sticky???

noname762

Cash is fake, and checks are antiquated. If the money isn't worth the paper it's printed on in the first place, why even pretend? I'll stick with plastic for everything and not bother with the ruse at all. At least if my wallet gets lost or stolen I have some recourse to actually recover my "money," once cash is gone its gone.

I'm with eye95 on the rest. This isn't a govt issue, it's private entities looking out for their own (and your) interests, trying to prevent fraud by requiring ID or zip codes. I've only ever seen the zip code thing at gas pumps too, and there it functions similar to a PIN, to verify the card user. And I've never seen any place take any record of my ID when carded for a purchase, they're just looking to see that the names & faces match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MetalHead I have to take issue with a couple of your statements. First off as our cash money, paper notes are not as you say really real money as in the old Silver Certificates which were retired in the mid to late 1960s. Now our paper money is always a Federal Reserve Note. Basically worthless but accepted at face value. For NOW.

Plastic is fine. Provided everything is normal. What is my point? Try buying some gas or a snack at your go to *Stop and Go* the next time your area is in a major windstorm and wire and transmission poles are going down one after another. If a store ANY STORE is actually open good luck making a purchase with plastic. Cuz Mister chances are you will be SOL. On bad weather event days CASH IS KING. I know what I speak of is true as I have been there and I had cash. I got my stuff. The *plastic people* went WITHOUT.

I am a dinosaur and Proud of it. It is ALWAYS a good idea to keep a cash reserve of small bills ie ones fives tens and twenties for the small day to day purchases. If some NOSY business asks you your zip code just do as I have done a few times. I gave them my zip code of where I was stationed when I was in the Service. If they hassle you tell them you're on vacation and staying with the kinfolk. If they get uppity and press the matter tell them fine. Drop your was gonna buy this stuff on the counter and depending on your level of irritatedness tell them to DROP DEAD I'm going across the street to your competitor.

When I am around my Christian kinfolks I try to curb my Redneckness, ie my cussin'. Sometimes I stumble searching for the right word. If I can tell I am NOT around church folks I have a tendency to come off as a WWII sailor of the USN or better yet Her Majesties Royal Navy. I may not sound like a RN swabbie but I guarantee ya some ears will be turning BEET RED. When I get my dander up I come a bit unglued. Up against Lefties and the PC crowd I go Nuclear Weapon on them.