• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can FedEx Ground Drivers Carrying on the clock

xDayan

I've searched high and low for this, on here, and online I can't find anything at all regarding this. Basically to sum it up the whole situation

My boss (Owner) is cutting back the days that we are staying open, so I wouldn't have hardly any hours a week. But he's buying a business that's a contractor for FedEx, and Has offer to have me trained, and be the main driver for the Zip code that the business owns. Now I want to know if FedEx has a Employee Policy against drivers Conceal carrying (yes I know this is open carry, but that wouldn't be professorial as a delivery driver IMHO) and if Employee Policy apply to me, as I'm would be working under my bosses LLC that owns the comp that contracts for FedEx. The Code of Conduct I found online ( http://investors.fedex.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=73289&p=irol-govconduct ) Says
Q: Does the Code apply to contractors?
A: Certain relevant provisions of this Code apply to those contractors and global service participants performing
services on behalf of FedEx or operating under the FedEx brand name (“Contractors”) to the extent set
forth in their respective agreements with FedEx and permitted under applicable law. The terms of any such
agreement or applicable law shall apply if there is a conflict with this Code. In any event, all Contractors and
their personnel are expected to uphold the highest standards of business ethics and ensure compliance with
all applicable laws. Contractors requiring further information regarding the policies of this Code should direct
questions to their primary contact at FedEx (“Company Contact”) or to the legal department.

Also under "Health, Safety and Environment" there's no mention on firearms or weapons

My boss has no formal policy against weapons I always have my 4 in knife on me, and I've let him use it plenty of times. I don't carry at work as the parking lot is quite literary ten feet away from the building and I normally have the closest spot, and I have to go to some of his rentals, and with having to ask permission before entering with a firearm while fixing internet and such doesn't seem professorial to me. Its just that zip code isn't the best part of town, a lot of robbery's happen over there, so before I take the offer I'd like to have at least and idea regrading it. And I'm trying to take the Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy regarding this, as my boss doesn't have a formal policy regarding it, I'd rather ask forgiveness then permission. (He wouldn't fire me if he was against it, just tell me not to do it again)

-xDayan
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It appears that your boss' "policy" has nothing to do with finding the answer you are seeking.

The "agreement" (contract) he has with FedEx will either say that the FedEx Code of Conduct will apply to contract drivers or there will be no mention of it. If the first case you are contractually prohibitted and would endanger your boss' contract if you were caught. If the second case you and your boss need to work out the public perception issue - especially as it relates to delivery sites that are posted. (The customer, your boss and FedEx will not like it if you are delaying deliveries to take off/put on your handgun.)

Have you considered a breacher bar? http://www.countycomm.com/eodrtool.html You can refine the edge and tip to be sharper, and making a kydex sheath is iterally child's play with a heat gun and an old pillow or folded towel. Better than your 4" knife because delivery drivers need something like that all the time.

stay safe.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have always wanted to know what FedEx and UPS policy is concerning the carry of firearms.

Here in KY we have a statute that authorizes drivers for such companies to carry a CONCEALED firearm or other deadly weapon on their person without obtaining a CDWL.

Anyone can carry a firearm or other deadly weapon OPENLY, but I am sure the express companies would frown upon such a mode of carry.

KRS 527.020 Carrying concealed deadly weapon.
(1) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed weapon when he or she carries concealed a firearm or other deadly weapon on or about his or her person.
(2) Peace officers and certified court security officers, when necessary for their protection in the discharge of their official duties; United States mail carriers when actually engaged in their duties; and agents and messengers of express companies, when necessary for their protection in the discharge of their official duties, may carry concealed weapons on or about their person.

Last edited:

armaborealis

If the second case you and your boss need to work out the public perception issue - especially as it relates to delivery sites that are posted. (The customer, your boss and FedEx will not like it if you are delaying deliveries to take off/put on your handgun.)

Signs have no force of law in Alaska.

Really the only issues are:
1) Entering private residences, which requires permission.
2) Deliveries on military bases or school zones, which is verboten.
3) Deliveries requiring entering a federal facility (like a post office) or other no go area (like day care centers), which is also forbidden.

I'd suggest carrying in a manner that allows you to safely and easily transfer the firearm to a secure locking container in the vehicle for those times when you need to run into the post office or perhaps enter a private residence discreetly. I can't help you with entering bases or school zones; there's no easy answer there other than making a detour to drop off the firearm. I suppose if you make regular runs onto a base or school property then you could look into renting a self-store unit nearby that you can duck in and out of quickly.

MikeTheGreek

Signs have no force of law in Alaska.

Really the only issues are:
1) Entering private residences, which requires permission.
2) Deliveries on military bases or school zones, which is verboten.
3) Deliveries requiring entering a federal facility (like a post office) or other no go area (like day care centers), which is also forbidden.

I'd suggest carrying in a manner that allows you to safely and easily transfer the firearm to a secure locking container in the vehicle for those times when you need to run into the post office or perhaps enter a private residence discreetly. I can't help you with entering bases or school zones; there's no easy answer there other than making a detour to drop off the firearm. I suppose if you make regular runs onto a base or school property then you could look into renting a self-store unit nearby that you can duck in and out of quickly.

some military bases may also allow you to check your firearm at the security checkpoint and pick it up on your way out. special circumstances.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

armaborealis

Not sure if there are, just saying it would make sense.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

It'd make about as much sense and be about as likely as post offices having a similar service.

I'm not aware of any military installation that allows civilians to check their firearms at the gate. THere are some that allow civilians to carry registered firearms to the skeet range or for hunting purposes. Some also allow active duty personnel visiting the base to check their firearm in the armory overnight (no privately owned weapons allowed at lodging at the vast majority of bases).

So long as OP's route/area doesn't include the bases though, he should be good.

eamelhorn

I have no idea about your question. But if a man showed up at my dor that I dont know Fed-ex driver or not and he is carrying, it could get intense. you jus dont know anymore, most delivery drivers have gotten used to me wearing my self defenc weapon.

Fallschirjmäger

I have no idea about your question. But if a man showed up at my dor that I dont know Fed-ex driver or not and he is carrying, it could get intense. you jus dont know anymore, most delivery drivers have gotten used to me wearing my self defenc weapon.

So, its OK for you to be armed, but no one else? The sight of someone else's gun frightens you? Sounds like you are part of the problem, not the solution.
The post does kinda make one think, doesn't it?

MainelyGlock

Is it the same for you on the street when you see a fellow OC'er?

FreeInAZ

Well off topic a bit but: the best way to stay safe is to assume everyone you meet is armed. This does not mean be hostile. It means be aware. :D

Catfuzz

I found this topic and I registered because I can answer the question. FedEx Ground and Home Delivery have a policy that forbids any and all contract employees from carrying weapons of any kind. It does not matter that the vehicle is owned by another company contracted with FedEx. I'm told that things like tasers and pepper spray are not even allowed. I work for a FedEx contractor and it's a policy that I really have a problem with. My route is mostly rural and I could possibly come upon all sorts of situations where self-defense would be needed. Not even for humans but there is a lot of wildlife where I am. I could encounter bears, moose, coyotes,, cougars....whatever. Not to mention Cleetus' personal pack o dogs.

But, anyway. There's your answer. No weapons at all or you're fired and your boss would lose his contract. The only exception I can see is if some states have laws in place that strike down the company policy.

Last edited: