• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I carry in a MS state park?

independence

Handgunlaw.us says you can carry in a MS state park but the law it cites (45-9-101) seems to read otherwise. Now I'm confused! Anybody know? Also, if CC is allowed, what about OC? 45-9-101 uses the word concealed...

EMNofSeattle

I'm reading right now, the MS 45-9-101 (13) which deals with prohibited places

(13) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver.

I do not see "state parks" listed anywhere in this paragraph, unless there is a law making something illegal it is legal.

I should note, this is the list of "no-no" places in the criminal code some states have obscure laws or regulations in the hunting and game statutes making it illegal to have loaded guns in some outdoor areas, alot of laws like that were passed decades ago to control poaching and may not be found in criminal codes. so check with the fish and game department or check the hunting laws before trying it, but it's not in the section you were worried about.

independence

I'm reading right now, the MS 45-9-101 (13) which deals with prohibited places

I do not see "state parks" listed anywhere in this paragraph, unless there is a law making something illegal it is legal.

I should note, this is the list of "no-no" places in the criminal code some states have obscure laws or regulations in the hunting and game statutes making it illegal to have loaded guns in some outdoor areas, alot of laws like that were passed decades ago to control poaching and may not be found in criminal codes. so check with the fish and game department or check the hunting laws before trying it, but it's not in the section you were worried about.

Hmm. Interesting that the quote you provided does not list a park but the one I am looking at does...Which is correct?!:

http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/45/009/0101.htm

(13) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a concealed pistol or revolver.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

the homepage of the website you cited says "updated through 2004 legislative session"

I got this section I cited off of LexisNexis which is updated far more frequently..... lexisnexis also has on it the part of the code which legalizes unlicensed open carry and has the training endorsement to waive "gun free zones" your version has neither, it appears you're using an out of date edition.

Last edited:

independence

the homepage of the website you cited says "updated through 2004 legislative session"

I got this section I cited off of LexisNexis which is updated far more frequently..... lexisnexis also has on it the part of the code which legalizes unlicensed open carry and has the training endorsement to waive "gun free zones" your version has neither, it appears you're using an out of date edition.

That explains the confusion. Thanks much!

Seif5034

I've carried at JP Coleman without any issues. They just have a sign asking you not to bring weapons into.their main office