• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I OC in Adams County ( Thornton ) ?

Laser McB

Thornton Resident Here!

Hi guys/gals, great forum and my first post/thread here :D

While waiting for my CHP, I'm curious if I can 'legally' OC in Adams county ( Thornton, Northglenn, Westminster, Broomfield etc .. ) ?

Cannot seem to find a clear answer to this...

Also, maybe a silly question, is Adams county part of Denver city/county/jurisdiction :question:

Just wanna be sure before I start carrying!

Thanks all :dude:

I know this is now a month old thread, but I live in Thornton (near 136th and Colorado) and I OC every day I don't head to Denver, which is most days. I just wanted to share that I have not had a problem carrying anywhere that is not posted here in Thornton. I generally get people thanking me or saying they wish they had the guts to do it themselves. I had a conversation with an interested gentlemen at the Kohl's off 120th and Colorado that had been debating the legality of it with his friends the night before and directed him to check out OCDO as it is such a great resource.

I hope you end up OCing even with the CC permit! Maybe I'll see ya around.

jackrockblc

I know this is now a month old thread, but I live in Thornton (near 136th and Colorado) and I OC every day I don't head to Denver, which is most days. I just wanted to share that I have not had a problem carrying anywhere that is not posted here in Thornton. I generally get people thanking me or saying they wish they had the guts to do it themselves. I had a conversation with an interested gentlemen at the Kohl's off 120th and Colorado that had been debating the legality of it with his friends the night before and directed him to check out OCDO as it is such a great resource.

I hope you end up OCing even with the CC permit! Maybe I'll see ya around.

I used to live behind that Kohl's (in the Fox Creek apts), and my brother is only a couple of miles from that point, so I still occasionally go there. Have you had any contact (positive or negative) with the police while open carrying? When I lived there was years before I became a gun owner.

Laser McB

... Have you had any contact (positive or negative) with the police while open carrying? When I lived there was years before I became a gun owner.

jackrockblc, I've seen LEOs, but not sure if they noticed I was carrying or not. My policy has been to smile and nod if they are looking at me, but I don't go out of my way to approach them! Better to continue on with my business. The only real contact was getting pulled over for a busted headlight. I had my handgun in the glove box when he asked for my registration. I told him it was there before opening so he was not caught off guard. He asked if I had a permit and I stated, "I do not need a permit to conceal a firearm in my vehicle" to which he agreed. I moved my registration to the center console to prevent that situation in the future.

Back in the last Sheriff's election I asked the candidates their views on open carry as well as the issue of concealed permits in Adams County as the process was a bit ridiculous when I applied. I can only find the email I got from Rick Reigenborn who as of this post is still listed as a patrol officer for Adams County. Here's what he had to say...

"I am a big believer in the concealed carry for those individuals that meet the requirements of the law.
While open carry is a right, I'm not a big fan of it as some people get concerened about it. I have contacted many people doing an open carry and all of them have done everything I have asked, so again, law abiding citizens following the law."

With the above quote in mind, not every officer will have the same view. My ex-girlfriend did her police training through Adams County Sheriff and she mentioned the training seemed a bit more geared to asking questions such that the contact would willingly give up their rights for searches etc. So as many people on OCDO have said, know your rights, know the laws.

M5RahuL

jackrockblc, I've seen LEOs, but not sure if they noticed I was carrying or not. My policy has been to smile and nod if they are looking at me, but I don't go out of my way to approach them! Better to continue on with my business. The only real contact was getting pulled over for a busted headlight. I had my handgun in the glove box when he asked for my registration. I told him it was there before opening so he was not caught off guard. He asked if I had a permit and I stated, "I do not need a permit to conceal a firearm in my vehicle" to which he agreed. I moved my registration to the center console to prevent that situation in the future.

Back in the last Sheriff's election I asked the candidates their views on open carry as well as the issue of concealed permits in Adams County as the process was a bit ridiculous when I applied. I can only find the email I got from Rick Reigenborn who as of this post is still listed as a patrol officer for Adams County. Here's what he had to say...

"I am a big believer in the concealed carry for those individuals that meet the requirements of the law.
While open carry is a right, I'm not a big fan of it as some people get concerened about it. I have contacted many people doing an open carry and all of them have done everything I have asked, so again, law abiding citizens following the law."

With the above quote in mind, not every officer will have the same view. My ex-girlfriend did her police training through Adams County Sheriff and she mentioned the training seemed a bit more geared to asking questions such that the contact would willingly give up their rights for searches etc. So as many people on OCDO have said, know your rights, know the laws.

Great post!! I do often go to that Kohls [ live 2 mins away :dude: ] but didn't OC yet...

The stupid CHP takes 90 days...so that's still a long wait in progress ( I was told the current scenario is 60 days at the Sheriff's office ...so I'm hoping it'll arrive sooner )

I visit Barnes and Noble 9 ( 120th and Washington ) often and wonder if they're ok with OC :idea:

Who knows we might run in to each other some day! :D