• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can the mayor and cops force event attendees to remain and not leave an event?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm an Orioles Fan; have been since my days at the Naval Academy and seeing them live and getting to love baseball at the same time. I'm too busy to see every game during the season, but I follow them. We aren't doing as well this year as I'd hoped, but I was very pleased to see an extra-inning win, even with our guest getting a last inning run, too.

So then while the box score was up on my screen, I noticed a headline, and had to check it out:

http://deadspin.com/orioles-fans-stuck-in-stadium-after-mayor-cops-ask-th-1700219246

Headline: "Orioles Fans Stuck In Stadium After Mayor & Cops Ask Them Not To Leave"

My first thought was wondering if any would have the audacity to exercise personal freedom and responsibility to ignore the potential riots and go home anyway. So, I clicked on the article to read some comments like: "Gates at Camden Yards just reopened for fans to exit."

So, um, they were "asked" not to leave, and then the gates were shut, locking them inside the stadium?

Any laws broken here?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Probably not.

Lots of leeway in keeping areas (and especially roadways) clear for emergency vehicles/emergency operations.

But let me see if I'm understanding this correctly - somewhere near Camden Yards there were assembled crowds of unhappy people expressing their displeasure. (TV Snooze showed pictures of several folks smashing windshields of several cars. Was not really watching but presume there might have been other expressions of displeasure happening.)

"Don't go stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things [that will win you stupid prizes]."

And you are looking for folks who would insist in exiting Camden Yards into that environment? Why? (Discretion, valor, all that stuff.)

stay safe.

HPmatt

Glad MD has gun control. Keeps the Amish and Quakers from attacking baseball fans on their way home after the game.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I would guess the officials argue that they were not detaining any individual but rather restricting movement of the crowd into a potentially dangerous area.

Personally, I will just continue to avoid the state and its neighbors.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Rhetorical question? It is the PDROMD[SUP]1[/SUP].

[SUP]1[/SUP]People's Democratic Republic of Maryland.

Not rhetorical at all, IMHO. There is a great need to know when, where, how, under what conditions, and for how long the .gov can restrict/infringe on your legal rights.

The same legal construct could have been applied in the most golden of OC states.

The only flaw I can see in the whole thing is that given what we know did happen and what the BPD did not do, someone who tried to leave would have a good time presenting a case of why they could not be guilty of obstructing justice/impeding police in the performance of their duty. (They'd lose, but they'd have fun while presenting their case.)

stay safe.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This thread has nothing to do with OC of handguns...Just sayin'...

You moderate the Maryland forum? This website is a haven of legal experts, and it is quite common that legal topics regarding personal freedoms are given some latitude. Would you prefer it in the social lounge, even though it is a Maryland-specific issue and question?

Maybe I'm wrong. Hit the triangle and report the post. Because that would be your obligation if this thread should not exist; else all you did was add a useless post to it with a 4-hour bump.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This thread has nothing to do with OC of handguns...Just sayin'...

Neither does Maryland. Or New Jersey. Or DC. (Or Texas for the moment.)

But they are all in various degrees of working to get there. Should we lock them out until they actually have OC?

Apparently "The Moderator" (scare quotes, dontchaknow) is not too concerned.

stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Lets face it, preventing the attendees from leaving seized them without individualized suspicion and violated their 4A rights. False imprisonment.

Too bad for the police if they didn't think about the problem beforehand and ask the game to be postponed. Which, now that I think about it, maybe they did think about it before the game and decided it would be a lower political risk to detain the attendees after the game, than cancel or postpone the game.

The best the cops can legitimately do is inform the attendees of the dangers and so forth, advise them to stay, ask their cooperation. And, then get the hell out of the way of those who still wish to leave.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
News radio just announced that MD governor has declared a state of emergency and activated the MD Nat'l Guard.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Things are moving fast.

News radio just carried a live address from the city government declaring a 10pm curfew.

Also speaking was a senior cop making out like the whole city was one large riot zone, and saying the police would not tolerate it. And, declaring police priorities are officer safety and public safety (his words, in that order).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
But what about the Mayor's promise to “give those who wished to destroy space to do that.”

Apparently, she's changed her mind. At last report, she now regards them as thugs.

Imagine that! A woman who rules others without their consent calling somebody else a thug.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Update: Live news radio.

Gov of MD saying he activated the MD Nat'l Guard. Also, declares the people of Baltimore deserve safety. (But, apparently not against having your neck broken while in police custody.)

Speaking now is a senior cop of MD state police. Promises assistance, and makes reference to up to 5000 law-enforcement from the mid-Atlantic region. That was not a typo--he said 5K.

Now, a spokesman from the MD Natl Guard is speaking, mentioning 5K troops.

Jeezus!! I don't think George Washington took 5K troops with him to put down the whiskey rebellion in western PA! What do these people think is going on? An armed rebellion? Do the math. Between Guard, regional cops, state police, and city cops that has got to be at least one infantry division worth of troops being threatened to descend on the city.

They're only one step from declaring martial law.

Last edited:

HPmatt

Now I would like to see Army implement the Jade 15 training in Baltimore - THAT would be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk