• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you be in Richmond, CA tomorrow from noon to 1:00?

stingray4540

imported post

I'm sorry that you can't make it. It is a good 45 minutes from were I live, according to mapquest.

Can you not carry on a college campus? I thought you could in California, or is that only concealed carrying?

CaliforniaCarry

imported post

stingray4540 wrote:
I'm sorry that you can't make it. It is a good 45 minutes from were I live, according to mapquest.

Can you not carry on a college campus? I thought you could in California, or is that only concealed carrying?
Well, it's not against the law, but it's more than likely against the school's policy and they'd probably ask you to leave the campus.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

CaliforniaCarry wrote:
stingray4540 wrote:

Well, it's not against the law, but it's more than likely against the school's policy and they'd probably ask you to leave the campus.
Actually, it is a misdemeanor (and possibly a felony, depending on how you interpret the law). Refer to CA Penal Code 626.9, a.k.a. the "Gun Free School Zone Act."

Basically, you cannot possess a firearm, except to transport it in a locked container:
  • On the premises of any public or private school (any place where a teacher and pupils gather)
  • Within 1,000 feet of any school serving K-12

CaliforniaCarry

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
CaliforniaCarry wrote:
stingray4540 wrote:

Actually, it is a misdemeanor (and possibly a felony, depending on how you interpret the law). Refer to CA Penal Code 626.9, a.k.a. the "Gun Free School Zone Act."

Basically, you cannot possess a firearm, except to transport it in a locked container:
  • On the premises of any public or private school (any place where a teacher and pupils gather)
  • Within 1,000 feet of any school serving K-12
I'm sorry, you're correct. I was thinking concealed.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Three words.

More advance notice.

Im willing to participate in political activism, however, like most people's schedules, mine doesnt stop on a dime. Feel free to let me know of any events of interest, andI will try to do the same.

stingray4540

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Three words.

More advance notice.

Im willing to participate in political activism, however, like most people's schedules, mine doesnt stop on a dime. Feel free to let me know of any events of interest, andI will try to do the same.
Ya, I realize that, but I thought I would try anyways. I just found out on monday myself, and made the decision then. My being in College still, gives me a little more room to drop everything, I can always get notes from one of my classmates.

Of course I will post if anything interesting happens. I hope not though.

stingray4540

imported post

Well, I went, and used the "This is what happens to you when you can't defend yourself" sign. Didn't have time to make any others.

Well, apparently the lie in is only a minute or so long, I missed it, but they did have people talking for a good hour and others standing there with signs like '30,000 people killed by guns in California/or the Us', '7 people killed by guns since 200? at Contra Costa College', etc. So I just sat at the edge with the sign pointing to there signs and the speakers.

It was relatively uneventful. The Chanel 5 eyewitness news was there, and the lady came over and started talking to me, then asked if she could get her microphone. I agreed, and she interviewed me. Not sure if I will make it on the news or not, I'll have to watch tonight, but if I do, I hope I didn't make a fool of myself, or they don't make me look like an idiot. I'm not to good at talking to people and thinking on my feet.

Anyways, I think I got the point across, but there was only like five people there listening to them, other than the speakers and news people. The campus was crawling with students, but not too many seemed to care, good.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Thanks for making a stand.

I think these things have an impact, especially when media makes an appearance. It wasnt long ago that I was a solo protester in front of Bank of America and Wells Fargo informing their customers that their banks helped illegal aliens ship their money south of the border.

If anything, you provided the opposing viewpoint- which is often lacking because progunners dont always make the time to be heard outside the voting booth.

stingray4540

imported post

Ok, the protest was on the 6 o'clock news, and has been put on there website. I did end up sounding like a bumbling idiot, but oh well, I never claimed not to be. I was surprised, that the news station themselves did a little research and made a point on our behalf. All in all it wasn't too bad.

Here's the link:
http://cbs5.com/video/?id=26282@kpix.dayport.com

The lady in the black that was talking to me at the end was trying to get me to say I want all the babies in America to have guns and shoot each other with them, or something. I didn't know they were even taping that conversation, as it was after the interview. I guess I must not of said what she wanted me to say, because she walked off after she thought she made some point about the NRA, which was odd, because I never claimed to be with the NRA, or even support them.

stingray4540

imported post

I just clicked the link and it works for me. It might have something to do with your work blocking stuff. You might have to try it when you get home.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

stingray4540 wrote:
Ok, the protest was on the 6 o'clock news, and has been put on there website. I did end up sounding like a bumbling idiot, but oh well, I never claimed not to be. I was surprised, that the news station themselves did a little research and made a point on our behalf. All in all it wasn't too bad.

Here's the link:

The lady in the black that was talking to me at the end was trying to get me to say I want all the babies in America to have guns and shoot each other with them, or something. I didn't know they were even taping that conversation, as it was after the interview. I guess I must not of said what she wanted me to say, because she walked off after she thought she made some point about the NRA, which was odd, because I never claimed to be with the NRA, or even support them.

You did fine.

I would have been more worried about the reporter trying to snipe you into agoofy sound bite. One of the key things to remember when dealing with the media is to keep it short and not be dragged off into a long rambling response. This gives them room to pick and choose. I try to keep 2 or 3 things in mind to say before going to an event and with this, you need to anticipate what questions might be asked- the most obvious "Why are you here today?" and " What do you hope to accomplish by being here today?" Or perhaps, "Arent you a complete bigot for...?"

And like politicians, just because they ask a question, doesnt mean youre required to answer that question- For instance they might ask, "Arent guns responsible for creating more violence?" My reply might start off with "First of all,----" and I would insert one of my canned "things in mind to say" whether or not it was relevant to their stupid "gun violence" question.

I would have changed one thing with your sign though. Since you had their attention, and the camera got a good look at your sign, it would have been a good idea to include a website to point people to so they could get more information... opecncarry.org, calguns.net, gunownersca.com, whomever- so long as the site is relevant, active, and reputable... its free advertising.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
stingray4540 wrote:
I can't get the video to play... that might just be the anti-surfing software my company puts on our computers. Anybody able to play the video? It just freezes up my browser every time.

Yep, it was just my corporate nanny preventing me from seeing it. Ironically, by blocking the script from running, I wasted about 20 minutes trying to get it to run (thus tying up more bandwidth and my own time).

Anyhow, I think the media did a good job with this clip. They did seem to give you fair time, considering you were a 1-man protest. Also, you seemed to answer the questions just fine. Wish I could have been there to help.

cato

imported post

Good show stingray! That shows the power of one man standing up for his principles. Your solitary act trumped their dramatics!

Attachments

• 911_l9l5803.jpg
    911_l9l5803.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 190

Tomahawk

imported post

stingray4540 wrote:

Here's the link:

Stingray, you used my sign idea! I feel so honored that my idea made it to the Left Coast news! Great job standing up for the cause, man!

stingray4540

imported post

Yes, thank you for the quote. It was just so perfect for the situation I couldn't not use it. Hopefully it got the point accross as well as it sounds like it should.