• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you open carry on a buss?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A school bus? NO! NRS 202.265

A RTC bus? Local CAT busses are part of the RTC system. According to their own web site, they are a government agency, which makes them subject to preemption under NRS 244.364, NRS 268.418, and NRS 269.222.

http://www.rtcsnv.com/about/index.cfm

RTC might have you think guns are prohibited the way they phrase rules on their website - http://www.rtcsnv.com/transit/rules.cfm:
NEVADA STATE LAWS ON BUS CONDUCT:
Under Nevada Revised Statute 200.471, a person who commits an assault upon a transit operator with a deadly weapon or presents the ability to use a deadly weapon is subject to imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than one (1) year and a maximum term of not more than six (6) years, or a fine of not more than $5,000, or both fine and imprisonment.
Reading NRS 200.471, it's clear that the "present ability to use a deadly weapon" is requisite of an assault occurring. The way RTC phrases it, it implies that merely having the ability to use a deadly weapon is criminal.

I have heard of no cases in Nevada in which this issue was tested. I know of a case in Virginia in which OCDO member danbus was ejected from a bus in Hampton, VA and the police called for his OC. He won and was able to ride the bus OC.

Anyway, bus drivers are likely to know less about the law than law enforcement, and we know the cops can't get it right, so don't expect every bus driver to be welcoming of guns on their bus. If they try to kick you off, be polite but refuse, and insist they call the police if they feel you are breaking the law. If the police ask you to get off the bus, comply, and let the bus drive away, just get on the next one. Probably not the best course of action if you're in a hurry, but change is slow.

Pikachu711

imported post

Yes, you can open carry on the local CAT bus system. Last summer I used to do in on a regular basis traveling to & from work. During the months of July & August I was guarding a property on Rainbow Blvd. During the summer months my truck has issues with the heat. So I traveled by bus normally 4-5 days a week. Keep in mind that I'm a security guard as well. I'm employed as an UNARMED security guard so I only OC'ed to & from work. I had to disarm at work. At that time I normally am out late night and arrived home at around 2:00AM or later each day. That't not the safest time of day.

I normally OC'ed my Glock 26 to & from work riding the CAT buses with no problem whatsoever. The vast majority of the drivers & passengers rarely ever gate me second look during my travel to & from work. It's possible that they just "assumed" that I was working as an armed guard. Even being an armed security guard may have had the occasional bus driver concerned. That was not the case. I OC'ed with no negative experiences to mention in this forum.

Again, I'm not really sure if the fact that I was a security guard had any impact on the reactions of my OC'ing on the CAT bus system. I would still assume that at least one bus driver would have mentioned a rule against OC'ing firearms on a CAT bus by now. But so far, so good!

I do have a Nevada CCW permit as well.