• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you open carry someone elses handgun in Vegas ?

onus

I have a friend visiting Vegas right now. He wants to go out and open carry. He doesn't have a handgun with him though. Can he carry his friends gun and walk around near the strip and the area ?

OC for ME

How would anyone, a cop for example, by mere observation from afar, know that the OC'd handgun is not being carried by the owner of the handgun. If the handgun is otherwise lawfully possessed and not used unlawfully, I think LV LEOs will pretty much not approach the citizen OCing. Folks from LV are most welcome to correct my understanding of LV cops and their typical response to observing a OC'd handgun.

OC Freedom

With few exceptions, OC is legal in Nevada.

https://www.nevadacarry.org/

Caroline county is grandfathered in and can restrict.

I think you mean to say Clark County, that restriction is gone. There is no handgun registration in Clark County (Vegas) and if you are not a prohibited person, then someone loaning you a firearm is not illegal as I understand it. Here is a list of places off limits.

Is open carry legal where I live or where I'm visiting?
Open carry is legal in every municipality of Nevada. The state legislature has prohibited cities and counties from passing their own regulations on firearms. City and county laws which prohibit carrying weapons are in violation of state law. No local laws or regulations may be more strict than state law. See: NRS 244.364 (county), NRS 268.418 (city), NRS 269.222 (town), NRS 407.0475(c) (state parks).
State Prohibited Places
You can legally openly carry everywhere except for the following places:

On the premises of a public school, on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, or a child care facility without written permission of the college president, school principal, or head of a public child care facility, including in the parking lot (NRS 202.265). This includes guns anywhere inside a car, even in a locked safe/container.
A private in-home child care facility, except by the homeowner(s) or residents (NRS 202.265).
The secure area of an airport (for instance, employee-only areas or past the TSA checkpoints).
The legislative building or wherever the legislature is conducting business (NRS 218A.905).

Note that a 'child care facility' includes a private daycare or an in-home daycare.
The Legislative Counsel found in this opinion that open carry is permissible in public areas of public buildings.
Federally Prohibited Places
Picture
Firearms, loaded or unloaded, concealed or openly carried, are prohibited in the following places

Inside federal facilities (including courthouses and offices like a Social Security office) 18 U.S. Code § 930;
On military bases (military personnel should refer to DoD policy and post orders);
Post Office property (includes the parking lot), but not post-office windows in stores (contract stations), 39 CFR 232.1(l);
VA hospitals/facilities including federal veterans' cemeteries (carrying) 38 CFR 1.218 (13).

Firearms are banned in "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties" and includes essentially all parts of federal court facilities (18 USC § 930). 'No weapons' signs must be posted at federal facilities in order for someone to be convicted (but you may be arrested).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think you mean to say Clark County, that restriction is gone. There is no handgun registration in Clark County (Vegas) and if you are not a prohibited person, then someone loaning you a firearm is not illegal as I understand it. Here is a list of places off limits.
I stand corrected. Thank you.