• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at a state park?

xmirage2kx

imported post

I have been looking around and I see nothing prohibiting me from carrying at a state park in Utah. However when I look at the rules posted at the sign at the entrance to the state park I see this:

"Possession or use of firearms, traps or other devices capable of launching a projectile that can immobilize, injure or kill a person or animal, or damage property is prohibited unless the weapon or device is 1) unloaded and packed away to prevent its use, 2) being used by authorized enforcement officers in the performance of official duties."

Does this mean I can’t carry in the state park, or is sign just blowing smoke? If I can carry what is the law that covers this area?

xmirage2kx

imported post

OK I have foundsome info on carrying in state parks:

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r651/r651-612.htm#E1

R651-612-1. Weapons Prohibited.
Possession or use of firearms, including air and gas powered types, traps and all other devices capable of launching a projectile which could immobilize, injure, or kill any person or animal or damage property are prohibited in the park system unless:

(1) The weapon or device is unloaded and cased or otherwise packed away to prevent its use in the park area.

(2) The weapon or device is being used for the legal pursuit of wildlife, see R651-614, or in accordance with UCA 53-5-701 Concealed Weapons Act.

(3) The weapon or device is being used by authorized enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties.

The link to this page is bellow and states "Concealed firearms permit holders are exempt from this prohibition" but I can not find a valid reference for this statement in any law.

http://www.lcav.org/states/utah.asp#carryingconcealedweapons

Finally, Utah Admin. Code § R651-612-1 generally prohibits the use or possession of firearms in any park in the Utah park system, unless the weapon is unloaded and encased. Concealed firearms permit holders are exempt from this prohibition. Id.

(Found about 1/2 down on this page)

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Remember the difference between rules and statutes.

The rules are subvervient to statute. Statute in Utah is very clear. State pre-emption does not allow any agency to have any rule that regulates the possession of guns except as explicitly granted.

Please let me know which State park has this sign and where the sign is so we can get it corrected. As I understand it, even those without a permit can posses firearms in State parks.

Now, NATIONAL parks are a whole different story.

Charles
GOUtah!

xmirage2kx

imported post

The park is Bear Lake state park in utah.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/reservations/park-rules.html

At the entrance to rendezvous beach state park at bear lakethere is a wooden sign by the rangers sign in station that lists rules from quiet hours and pets to firearms. The rules about firearms are on this sign, aswell as on the web site posted above which i beleive is the official utah state park web site.

xmirage2kx

imported post

I emailed BCI about this sign and received the following reply:

You are correct in your research. You can carry a firearm into a state
park unless it's clearly posted otherwise. If the sign states what
you've written below I would follow the sign and not carry a firearm
while inside the state park. Your best bet would be to call the state
park. They can tell you the details regarding the sign. If it's not
posted then your ok to carry. If the area is posted then I would not.
I wish I could provide you with better details.

Take care,

Jeff Dunn
Firearms Investigator
Utah Department of Public Safety
Bureau of Criminal Identification

From this I gather that if it is posted, I can’t carry in a state park. If this is the case then I foresee us quickly losing the ability to carry anywherebecause entrances to cities could post a no firearms sign and you would be in violation if you carry.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
I emailed BCI about this sign and received the following reply:

You are correct in your research. You can carry a firearm into a state
park unless it's clearly posted otherwise. If the sign states what
you've written below I would follow the sign and not carry a firearm
while inside the state park. Your best bet would be to call the state
park. They can tell you the details regarding the sign. If it's not
posted then your ok to carry. If the area is posted then I would not.
I wish I could provide you with better details.

Take care,

Jeff Dunn
Firearms Investigator
Utah Department of Public Safety
Bureau of Criminal Identification

From this I gather that if it is posted, I can’t carry in a state park. If this is the case then I foresee us quickly losing the ability to carry anywherebecause entrances to cities could post a no firearms sign and you would be in violation if you carry.

Investigator Dunn is in error. NOWHERE is DWR granted any authority to prohibit the possession of lawfully carried firearms. They CAN regulate discharge, hunting, etc.

The issue is being worked and we expect a correction soon.

Charles

GOUtah!