• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Without Permit at 20?

INiiCIK

Is it possible to carry without a permit in NH at 20?

I am planning a camping trip over the summer and would like to have protection from wild life, if it should come to see me...

I am ignorant to the laws surrounding it and would like to be enlightened. :lol:

Tactical9mm

Is it possible to carry without a permit in NH at 20?

I am planning a camping trip over the summer and would like to have protection from wild life, if it should come to see me...

I am ignorant to the laws surrounding it and would like to be enlightened. :lol:

Your relevant statute for unlicensed carry of a pistol in New Hampshire is RSA 159:4

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-4.htm

It is very likely that you will run into wildlife if you are going to be hiking and/or camping, so I would urge you to also bring an air-horn. An air-horn can diffuse most wildlife "situations" without the need to use lethal force against an animal(s).

Enjoy your time in New Hampshire!

INiiCIK

Are there any constraints on OC? From what I'm reading if I'm CC that the gun must be unloaded, doesn't matter that the mags are 2 inches away from it, just that it must be unloaded...

As far as vehicle transportation goes, it'll be locked and in the trunk no matter what...

Tactical9mm

Are there any constraints on OC? From what I'm reading if I'm CC that the gun must be unloaded, doesn't matter that the mags are 2 inches away from it, just that it must be unloaded...

As far as vehicle transportation goes, it'll be locked and in the trunk no matter what...

Per RSA 159:4; the only "constraints" on unlicensed carry are as follows:

1) No LOADED carry (open or concealed) within a motor vehicle. If you have a revolver it means no rounds in the cylinder. If you have a pistol it means no round in the chamber, AND no loaded magazine inserted into the pistol.

2) When outside a motor vehicle, no concealed carry of a LOADED pistol or revolver (per the above criteria in #1).

Enjoy your time in New Hampshire.

Last edited:

INiiCIK

I will! Some outdoors and the liberties from CT to NH will be quite a liberating experience!

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I almost forgot, in CT the pistol is my father's, he will be loaning it to me for the trip, I am legal to own a pistol at 18 in NH correct?

Last edited:

KBCraig

Edit: I almost forgot, in CT the pistol is my father's, he will be loaning it to me for the trip, I am legal to own a pistol at 18 in NH correct?

Again, NH law is silent as to age, and doesn't care whose pistol it is (as long as it's not stolen). The federal law law concerning possession (not ownership) makes you clear at age 18 or over.

You'll be fine. Welcome to NH. :)

Last edited:

INiiCIK

I will be hiking and camping in the White Mountains, are there laws concerning possession of certain calibers in state forests? I only ask because in CT, if it's not in season and you don't have the appropriate license/permit for the season and you're carrying any pistol over .22 you can get charged with some hard stuff...

decklin

Not a problem in NH. It's what we call a Free State. Just be very careful driving through Mass. Do not do anything to get pulled over or attract attention. Mass does not care about interstate travel laws.