• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at 17

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am 17 and live in NH. I recently applied for a CCW Permit and after 2 weeks, It was granted. My uncle got me a 9mm handgun for christmas and both my mother and father say they don't want me carrying a gun. My question is this: Can I legally carry a handgun in NH concealed or open carry with this permit? I don't think the state or my town would have granted me the permit if it was illegal for me to carry a gun.
As I understand it, there is no minimum age to OC in NH, but a permit is needed when in a vehicle.

The state has licensed you to carry concealed in accordance with NH laws - so what is the question?

A basic primer:
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=101

solus

welcome to OC forum, and forgive the distant comment from a non-attorney,

but NH statutes state, IAW 159.6 if you are issued a permit, then you are authorized without reservation to carry. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-mrg.htm

however, i am more concerned you might wish to change your post as to where you, as an admitted minor, got your firearm...as NH statute 159.12 specifically state:

I. Any person who shall sell, barter, hire, lend or give to any minor any pistol or revolver shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
II. This section shall not apply to:
(a) Fathers, mothers, grandparents, guardians, administrators or executors who give a revolver to their children or wards or to heirs to an estate.

therefore, your 'gift' from someone other than your caregivers could lead to a conflict if someone in authority challenges you while carrying. especially if the authorities question your caregivers about where and how you obtained the firearm.

you did not mention when you might reach your majority. but this coupled w/the acknowledged conflict on your carrying the firearm between your caregivers, should give you second thoughts that while able to carry, i'm not sure the parental 'discussions' and family strife warrant the overall fire fights that might ensue.

you also did not mention if you have participated in any formal firearm training program which also might go a long way to ease the parental concern if you show you have received appropriate guidance.

Just an observation from afar to ease your way along your long journey dealing with firearms.

ipse

solus

Probably just another under-age drive by troll question that will never reply again.

such a cynic from a land far, far away...and said w/o any type of contribution to the OP what so ever, especially in the off chance this individual is a new member to the clan...

slow night down I 5 ?

ipse

Last edited:

doobie

Talk to your local CLEO and see if they would issue you a license. It may all depend on what city/town you live in. Beyond that you can OC. Someone once told me that if you are under 18 (or 21?) you could only carry a revolver not a semi-auto. Beyond that it is just a question if you can obtain a pistol in the first place legally (aka from a parent/guardian/possibly grand-parent/etc).

Disclaimer: IANAL...